Townsquare Media

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
2.8

Steven Price

If you're in sales, and not lazy, you'll make some serious money.

I have been working at Townsquare Media

Pros

TSM is light years ahead of other media companies in digital marketing. Digital is where the big bucks are in the coming years. When you combine that with on-air and live events, you can make serious money with TSM. But here is the caveat, you have to WORK for it! Time and time again, I read reviews of sales people complaining about TSM and not making enough money. I'm here to tell you, if you REALLY work it, you can make 100k a year within 3-5 years. I've been with TSM for 4 years now, and I'll end this year at 120k.

Cons

Sure, not everything is peppermint and chocolate. The more you sell, the more they want, but then you make even more! When it comes to annual budgets, I will say that corporate needs to back off on the over performing markets and ride under performing markets more. They tend to whip the better horses and ask for more than the nags. At some point, the studs won't be able to keep up.

A little too much micro-managing, back off somewhat. Kick the sucky markets in the arse, and give the throughbreds more of a loose reign to do what they do.

TownSquare Media is an Amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Digital Personality/Assistant Digital Managing Editor in Evansville, IN

I worked at Townsquare Media part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This organization recognizes professional potential and encourage their employees to think outside the box to achieve their business goals. Over-achievers will feel very "at home" here.

Cons

The pay scale can be unequal to the amount of work you must put in to get the job done. That being said, if you love your job, hard work will not be a problem when you realize there is recognition as an end result.

Advance those with potential with a promotion even if it involves relocating the employee.

Fast growing live events company

Current Employee - Live Events Manager
    Current Employee - Live Events Manager

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of new projects on a more or less constant basis - music festivals, races, beer events, lots and lots of cool events large and small
    Lots of opportunity to grow, get promoted, etc
    Really good live events management (never interacted with the radio side)
    Lots of upside in bonus-heavy compensation model
    Really entrepreneurial group

Cons

Salaries tend to be lower as bonuses are higher when you hit financial targets
    Constantly new projects, which can be overwhelming
    Live Event managers are expected to do a lot, aside from just event planning - marketing, working with radio side, content, sponsorship sales - its a LOT
    lots of nights and weekends because that's wehn the events are
    Sometimes hard to work with the radio local management - live events management is great but mostly in CT and local management typically doesn't have a live entertainment background and its hard to get them to "get it"

Townsquare going through growing pains

Current Employee - Management in Midwest Heights, WY
    Current Employee - Management in Midwest Heights, WY

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company. Very progressive in terms of digital. Since going public, the attitude from the upper brass is totally different. Those guys used to be very positive in terms of people and being very personable. That attitude has changed. The tone of the conversations are much different now. Sad to see the complete attitude change toward it's people.

Cons

Great benefits! Lots of support from corporate. The company has many layers in terms of corporate, regional and local managers. The pay is good, depending on the geographical area and market you apply in. Get ready to work and learn! You will work more and harder than you have ever worked before. Be ready to be accountable. If you have issues with hard work, long hours and owning what you do, this is not the place for you.

Remember 2 years ago, before going public? Try to incorporate that attitude again! Stop being so rude on the people that are making it happen for you. Most of us love the company, wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We're here because we wanted to work for TSM- Keep that in mind! It's not like this industry has a huge talent pool to choose from! You hired us because you heard or seen something in us that would take this company to the next level. Start treating us a the people you once entrusted with your investment! Or, you'll have to go back and stick your toe the the talent pooh-pooh pool again, and there is not much out there!

Great place to work, but no job security.

Former Employee - Radio Host/Music Director in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Radio Host/Music Director in Windsor, CO

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A smaller team facilitates a very familial work environment. The programming and sales staff are all amazing people, who all genuinely care about each other. The work hours are usually pretty flexible, with time off requests being easily accommodated. The benefits are plentiful (from health insurance to free company social events). Plus, working in radio is just plain fun!

Cons

The radio industry is not the powerhouse it once was. There isn't as much money to go around; so don't expect to make very much, even as a full-time employee with years of experience. As broadcasting companies shift their focus to online content, job security for on-air staff is circling the drain. Also, opportunities for advancement within the company are slim to none. Unless you're already above entry level, don't expect to get that promotion you applied for. They'll just bring in someone from a different market instead, or hire someone new altogether.

I loved working for TSM because of the company's focus on live, local content. But being laid off and replaced by a satellite feed makes me think that focus has been lost. I know the company has gone public, and I know TSM has shareholders to worry about now; but don't let that rip out the heart of your company, the people.

Fun projects, TERRIBLE management and culture

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked on the digital team on some really fun and cool branded experiences. Some of my coworkers were great, still friends, and we were able to bond even further in how unhappy we were there.

Cons

Endless. Upper management did not care to know what it took to keep everything running. The people who did the "dirty work" to make sure each campaign was executed properly, were never rewarded, but rather were overworked and understaffed.

They claimed to have lots of incentives to keep us happy, but my team rarely saw bonuses. In fact, we had to collectively call out management on their shadiness to be able to even get an explanation about how commission/bonus were paid out. Those cool projects I mentioned? We'd work our butts off in front of a computer, while other people in the other offices who barely had anything to do with it actually got to go and party and enjoy the events.

No real guidance, no performance reviews. I was told I was not eligible for a review or raise (after 2 years) because I negotiated my salary when originally hired. This place is worse than high school. Offices and management form their own little cliques and only protect their own interests.

No joke, there's been a mass exodus of unhappy employees leaving. Even former clients have mentioned that TSM was not their best/easiest partner to work with.

Listen to the employees that actually work on the things that make you money, they most likely have some good insight into what changes need to be made.

CARE about your employees.

Not the right management, changes were too militant

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

radio and media are fun industries, the job is fun
    keeping up with the technology and change of way media is used.

Cons

Too many things thrown at sales people that may not be the right selling fit for them or the client. When I would have been productive out selling air time, I'd have to be at a call session trying to sell web services.

Find Managers who 1: want to be managers 2: know how to inspire sales people and not just micromanage 3: train and make expectations clear.

tons of work for little pay

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time

Pros

Hours are good. Can have a balanced life.

Cons

Very little pay for expected work

Following other media companies into the abyss of mediocrity

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At least they're not Clear Channel. You might not get let go a week before Christmas

Cons

Stagnant or shrinking pay and capital budgets that were approved then rescinded year after year . Cost of benefits increased every year. Corporate pet projects have a higher priority than immediate local needs.
    Your input is not valued. There are a few cronies that call all the shots, although they hardly leave their offices except to attend NAB

So much "robbing Peter to pay Paul" due to acquisitions.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, CO

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful on-air talent who are devoted to the community

Cons

High pressure environment with very little support on the ground

Apply now to be the fourth Live Events Manager in six years or the fourth Promotions Director in two years. There's reason everyone is leaving Townsquare in Windsor CO. I won't take much effort to figure out why - just Google the title of position before you apply. Every former employee will tell you why.