Townsquare Media

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.8

Steven Price

Fast growing live events company

Current Employee - Live Events Manager
    Current Employee - Live Events Manager

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of new projects on a more or less constant basis - music festivals, races, beer events, lots and lots of cool events large and small
    Lots of opportunity to grow, get promoted, etc
    Really good live events management (never interacted with the radio side)
    Lots of upside in bonus-heavy compensation model
    Really entrepreneurial group

Cons

Salaries tend to be lower as bonuses are higher when you hit financial targets
    Constantly new projects, which can be overwhelming
    Live Event managers are expected to do a lot, aside from just event planning - marketing, working with radio side, content, sponsorship sales - its a LOT
    lots of nights and weekends because that's wehn the events are
    Sometimes hard to work with the radio local management - live events management is great but mostly in CT and local management typically doesn't have a live entertainment background and its hard to get them to "get it"

Great place to work, but no job security.

Former Employee - Radio Host/Music Director in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Radio Host/Music Director in Windsor, CO

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A smaller team facilitates a very familial work environment. The programming and sales staff are all amazing people, who all genuinely care about each other. The work hours are usually pretty flexible, with time off requests being easily accommodated. The benefits are plentiful (from health insurance to free company social events). Plus, working in radio is just plain fun!

Cons

The radio industry is not the powerhouse it once was. There isn't as much money to go around; so don't expect to make very much, even as a full-time employee with years of experience. As broadcasting companies shift their focus to online content, job security for on-air staff is circling the drain. Also, opportunities for advancement within the company are slim to none. Unless you're already above entry level, don't expect to get that promotion you applied for. They'll just bring in someone from a different market instead, or hire someone new altogether.

I loved working for TSM because of the company's focus on live, local content. But being laid off and replaced by a satellite feed makes me think that focus has been lost. I know the company has gone public, and I know TSM has shareholders to worry about now; but don't let that rip out the heart of your company, the people.

Townsquare going through growing pains

Current Employee - Management in Midwest Heights, WY
    Current Employee - Management in Midwest Heights, WY

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company. Very progressive in terms of digital. Since going public, the attitude from the upper brass is totally different. Those guys used to be very positive in terms of people and being very personable. That attitude has changed. The tone of the conversations are much different now. Sad to see the complete attitude change toward it's people.

Cons

Great benefits! Lots of support from corporate. The company has many layers in terms of corporate, regional and local managers. The pay is good, depending on the geographical area and market you apply in. Get ready to work and learn! You will work more and harder than you have ever worked before. Be ready to be accountable. If you have issues with hard work, long hours and owning what you do, this is not the place for you.

Remember 2 years ago, before going public? Try to incorporate that attitude again! Stop being so rude on the people that are making it happen for you. Most of us love the company, wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We're here because we wanted to work for TSM- Keep that in mind! It's not like this industry has a huge talent pool to choose from! You hired us because you heard or seen something in us that would take this company to the next level. Start treating us a the people you once entrusted with your investment! Or, you'll have to go back and stick your toe the the talent pooh-pooh pool again, and there is not much out there!

tons of work for little pay

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time

Pros

Hours are good. Can have a balanced life.

Cons

Very little pay for expected work

Not the right management, changes were too militant

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

radio and media are fun industries, the job is fun
    keeping up with the technology and change of way media is used.

Cons

Too many things thrown at sales people that may not be the right selling fit for them or the client. When I would have been productive out selling air time, I'd have to be at a call session trying to sell web services.

Find Managers who 1: want to be managers 2: know how to inspire sales people and not just micromanage 3: train and make expectations clear.

Following other media companies into the abyss of mediocrity

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At least they're not Clear Channel. You might not get let go a week before Christmas

Cons

Stagnant or shrinking pay and capital budgets that were approved then rescinded year after year . Cost of benefits increased every year. Corporate pet projects have a higher priority than immediate local needs.
    Your input is not valued. There are a few cronies that call all the shots, although they hardly leave their offices except to attend NAB

So much "robbing Peter to pay Paul" due to acquisitions.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, CO

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful on-air talent who are devoted to the community

Cons

High pressure environment with very little support on the ground

Apply now to be the fourth Live Events Manager in six years or the fourth Promotions Director in two years. There's reason everyone is leaving Townsquare in Windsor CO. I won't take much effort to figure out why - just Google the title of position before you apply. Every former employee will tell you why.

Literally, the worst company you can ever imagine

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None... I wish i could put something here but there is basically nothing I could say that could be spun into a positive light. Maybe certain people were cool and I'm still friends with them to this day, but I think that's about it

Cons

Where to begin?

The management team is either not even there [because they are working from home 5 days a week] or they are literally in your face because they need something ASAP after telling you five ago. They don't reward people who work hard. I've been promised the world and received nothing. Bonuses, Job Promotion, etc. I was there for about 1.5 years and they spent a year telling me I was going to be promoted.

Human Resources: Nonexistent. I mean literally nonexistent. Did you know that Townsquare only pays out 50% of your vacation days if you leave? I didn't even think that was possible...

Work Life Balance: Imagine you working on a Saturday and a Sunday finishing a project, then emailing it to your boss, which then results in about 5 more requests minutes after you send the email and then imagine it consistently happening over a period of 6 months to a Year. Also imagine having no support to build those reports except your own knowledge and no systems other than excel. While I didn't mind the work that much, I did mind the fact that I was promised various products/infrastructure to help expedite various reports for executives and nothing ever came out of it

High Turnover: Within 1 year, I was the most senior person in my department. I went through two bosses in a year and had to wear multiple hats while dealing with highly volatile executives with their constant need for attention. I would say it's been a few months since I left and I have counted about 10 people who have left the our larger group already.

Low Respect: Senior Management/Executives were just there to go IPO. Now that it's done, I suspect that they will all leave. Management is all I-bankers and were all pretty shady.

Full of wanna-be "techies", lacks depth in real talent

I worked at Townsquare Media

Pros

Best reason to work at TSM? An interesting-sounding resume.

Cons

Very low compensation.
    Too much emphasis on competition among our own team members.
    Lack of respect and concern for employees.
    Claims to invest in innovative and talented individuals, however TSM consistently singles out and rewards follow-the-leader employees. There's a clear "Inner Circle" among these untouchable, unfairly compensated individuals.
    Senior staff takes sole credit for all successes, refuses to take any blame for failures.

Its a fast moving multi-media business growing interacting with the foundations of every city and market place.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Texarkana, AR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Texarkana, AR

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staying on top of the new! Learning and growing with our business has become such a joy! I love being able to help clients succeed with their business and help them understand how the consumers want to be reached and what they can do to increase their profit.

Cons

Sometimes it can be discouraging hearing NO a lot. If you have the attitude and determination you will make it in this company. If you don't have good time management skills and you need constant management guidance this job may nit be for you.

Lots of paper work! I would love it if something was due if you would put it into the calendar with a reminder!