Townsquare Media Reviews

1. Some TSM markets are better than others

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive3 in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive3 in Evansville, IN

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-fun working environment
    -family always comes first
    -on top of upcoming media trends

Cons

-management picks and chooses who they want to succeed
    -hard work can often go unnoticed
    -like most media companies everything is all about the almighty dollar and not helping businesses grow.

Help new employees succeed and separate the area into territories so nobody has the opportunity to steal accounts from each other, as well as give each employee an account with decent billing.

2. Good Company - very entrepreneurial.....need managers who think more openly....

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay for Performance model - work hard & smart and you will do well

Cons

Many managers are from "radio", not media....so they often think and manage like tasks managers (radio cultural)

Think & Manage like you work for a start up company - be more open to new ideas and calculated risk taking

If you are a radio person stay away from this company!

I worked at Townsquare Media

Pros

Focus is web sites and digital sales

Cons

This is a company who doesn't care about radio, it's employees or it's listeners. They claim to be "LIVE AND LOCAL," yet they care little about the local aspect. Focus seems to be on Digital sales and live events, with Radio coming in a distant third. They would rather have their talent write bogs and work ticket sales as opposed to providing pertinent and fun "on air" content. Promises to staff were made and not delivered upon and long hours and 6-7 day work weeks were often the norm.

TSM events were often not run very well and seemed disorganized. And admission fees were routinely kept private until just a few days before events, leading to lots of upset event goers at the gate.

Go back to being a radio company, or sell it to someone who is!

They are a Buzzfeed knockoff that happens to own radio stations.

Current Employee - On-Air
    Current Employee - On-Air

I have been working at Townsquare Media

Pros

Great people, fun events, fun work environment on the local level

Cons

Compensation is minimum. Claim to be local but are constantly replacing live radio shows with satellite content. I have worked for our local cluster for 9 years, I haven't seen a ratings book in over 5 years. They care so much about website content and views, but don't want to pay talent for producing content. On-air talent is spread across multiple stations. No chance for advancement. They are literally scraping the barrel for talent, including using kids still in college (I heard a DJ was off a week because she was on "Spring Break").

Stop trying to be a mutant offspring of Buzzfeed and Clear Channel. Pay your talent to produce the content you are requesting on websites. Don't forget you are a radio company with on-air production to worry about, what I hear on-air is amateurish (but I guess you get what you pay for).

Intern Review

Former Employee - News Intern in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - News Intern in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Townsquare Media

Pros

Amazing company culture, gained valuable industry experience, felt like I was making a true contribution. Would recommend this internship to other students

Cons

The internship was unpaid, and I put a lot of time in at the office. It is required that you receive college credit for this internship and I didn't need credit at the time.

Don't go near this place - Live Events are a joke.

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had some exceptional (but disgruntled) coworkers. Nice interaction with the community. Great on-air talent - while they lasted.

Cons

You will work 7+ days a week. You will be promised bonuses but if the rest of the market isn't on-board with an event (i.e., sales doesn't want to help sell sponsorships or other event elements because the margins are too low) you have no ability to win in this role. You can be the most creative, efficient and engaged event producer and be forced to sell everything on your own and you will burn out FAST. You will be forced to promote and produce crap sold at the corporate level whether or not it's right for your market or if anyone in your local stations even wants it - and will be harrassed daily about your numbers up until the event and penalized if you don't hit the budget established by corporate for the event. And then there are the bouncy house dude bros....who bring a classy beer-soaked touch to everything they design. Protect your personal rolodex if you want to work in your market after you leave. You won't be able to get the stink of Townsquare Media off of you if you don't.

Concentrate on the stations, music, concerts and some of the digital products. Everything else is distraction and useless. It makes everyone think that you have no idea about what you're doing.

If you're in sales, and not lazy, you'll make some serious money.

I have been working at Townsquare Media

Pros

TSM is light years ahead of other media companies in digital marketing. Digital is where the big bucks are in the coming years. When you combine that with on-air and live events, you can make serious money with TSM. But here is the caveat, you have to WORK for it! Time and time again, I read reviews of sales people complaining about TSM and not making enough money. I'm here to tell you, if you REALLY work it, you can make 100k a year within 3-5 years. I've been with TSM for 4 years now, and I'll end this year at 120k.

Cons

Sure, not everything is peppermint and chocolate. The more you sell, the more they want, but then you make even more! When it comes to annual budgets, I will say that corporate needs to back off on the over performing markets and ride under performing markets more. They tend to whip the better horses and ask for more than the nags. At some point, the studs won't be able to keep up.

A little too much micro-managing, back off somewhat. Kick the sucky markets in the arse, and give the throughbreds more of a loose reign to do what they do.

TownSquare Media is an Amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Digital Personality/Assistant Digital Managing Editor in Evansville, IN

I worked at Townsquare Media part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This organization recognizes professional potential and encourage their employees to think outside the box to achieve their business goals. Over-achievers will feel very "at home" here.

Cons

The pay scale can be unequal to the amount of work you must put in to get the job done. That being said, if you love your job, hard work will not be a problem when you realize there is recognition as an end result.

Advance those with potential with a promotion even if it involves relocating the employee.

Fun projects, TERRIBLE management and culture

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Townsquare Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked on the digital team on some really fun and cool branded experiences. Some of my coworkers were great, still friends, and we were able to bond even further in how unhappy we were there.

Cons

Endless. Upper management did not care to know what it took to keep everything running. The people who did the "dirty work" to make sure each campaign was executed properly, were never rewarded, but rather were overworked and understaffed.

They claimed to have lots of incentives to keep us happy, but my team rarely saw bonuses. In fact, we had to collectively call out management on their shadiness to be able to even get an explanation about how commission/bonus were paid out. Those cool projects I mentioned? We'd work our butts off in front of a computer, while other people in the other offices who barely had anything to do with it actually got to go and party and enjoy the events.

No real guidance, no performance reviews. I was told I was not eligible for a review or raise (after 2 years) because I negotiated my salary when originally hired. This place is worse than high school. Offices and management form their own little cliques and only protect their own interests.

No joke, there's been a mass exodus of unhappy employees leaving. Even former clients have mentioned that TSM was not their best/easiest partner to work with.

Listen to the employees that actually work on the things that make you money, they most likely have some good insight into what changes need to be made.

CARE about your employees.

Fast growing live events company

Current Employee - Live Events Manager
    Current Employee - Live Events Manager

I have been working at Townsquare Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tons of new projects on a more or less constant basis - music festivals, races, beer events, lots and lots of cool events large and small
    Lots of opportunity to grow, get promoted, etc
    Really good live events management (never interacted with the radio side)
    Lots of upside in bonus-heavy compensation model
    Really entrepreneurial group

Cons

Salaries tend to be lower as bonuses are higher when you hit financial targets
    Constantly new projects, which can be overwhelming
    Live Event managers are expected to do a lot, aside from just event planning - marketing, working with radio side, content, sponsorship sales - its a LOT
    lots of nights and weekends because that's wehn the events are
    Sometimes hard to work with the radio local management - live events management is great but mostly in CT and local management typically doesn't have a live entertainment background and its hard to get them to "get it"