Toyota

Toyota Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Toyota President and Representative Director Akio Toyoda

Akio Toyoda

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is great and a friendly work environment (in 17 reviews)

• Good pay, Benefits Good work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For design staff the work-life balance is typically severe (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours, politics and varied growth pipelines without cross-function (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Co-Op Program

Co-Op (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to develop real life engineering skills and be given design product and teams to lead. Allowed opportunity to learn as a follower as well as gain experience as a leader

ConsExperience is largely dependent on department that you are assigned to. Would have loved to have more projects and gain more experience in other departments

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Co-Op to work with other Co-Op Engineers, as well as schedule meetings with them at work as well as away with the workplace. Felt isolated and not part of the team for first couple months. Introductions would have been ideal.

Awesome benefits and great work experience

IT Professional (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsEasy culture, mostly 9-5, rewarding most of the time working with fun engaging people on projects, benefits are nice, get to drive a new car every year if you want, strong company values, always had strong managers who help meet your needs, not too cutthroat, rotations available if you seek them out. Exciting to work for strong automaker and national brand.

ConsBig company disease is apparent, like anywhere else. Unnecessary processes and bureaucracy. Move to Texas I think will lose large portion of good talent. Not quick to be promoted and at certain point you have to give up some values to move high up. Wish more low performers were performance managed, surveys taken every year to improve, but same things come up, not safe to speak up, risk taking not encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak the truth not always the PR line. Let people work on extra curricular projects like Google, Intel. Reward risk taking.

Multi-National organization with huge upside

Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsLots of opportunities to work in different areas.

ConsThere is a large contractor work force, and the actual employee work force is small in comparison. This means that there is quite a bit of fluidity in the environment, and there are many times where knowledge has not been properly transferred.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees have the proper background/training for the function they are performing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fierce Competition.

Car Salesman (Former Employee) Van Nuys, CA

ProsThe most important things I learned at Toyota were the ability to negotiate and how to pick up on customer nuances. Selling automobiles is one of the most difficult sales you'll ever make so to do it well, repeatedly, makes a way for your selling muscles to flex.

ConsNot doing well and getting blown out for lack of production. Being intimidated by others in the sales force. Not making enough money to pay your bills because you have yet to succeed as being a closer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people well and they will in turn serve to make life easy for you.

Nice place to work.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNice place to work. Beautiful views from my office. Nice people to work with.

ConsNo cons to be found. Very good company.

I have worked for several Toyota dealerships for over 30 years as Fleet Manager/Director.

Fleet Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsQuality products, our consumers are generally happy with purchases. Many repeat buyers and referrals. Because vehicles basically sell themselves, we are always busy. Training is available from the factory, mandatory if you wish to succeed.

ConsToo many hours, never a weekend off, no bonuses and commissions about the same as they were 30 years ago. Minimum commission is same $100 as it was in 1980. it takes working 6-7 days a week to make a six figure income.

Toyota is a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsToyota cares about their associates. They always have events to show their appreciation of their employees. That is why they have a high retention rate.

ConsDue to the fact that no one really leaves the company it is difficult to get promoted. Many associates started with the company right out of school and have been there for over 30 years.

Awesome, 2 years so far right out of college.

Operations Management (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEveryday is a blessing. Resource availability, very lean, challenging and rewarding.

ConsLong hours, politics and varied growth pipelines without cross-function.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on allowing your headcount to make your organization better.

Have worked at Toyota for over 25 years and have truly enjoyed being part of the Toyota Family.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsToyota values it's associates and has a portfolio of benefits that are quite astounding, from an excellent lease program to health and wellness benefits.

ConsSalaries are not competitive. Career development and advancement is not optimal. Toyota is very slow to move when it comes to innovation and creating workforce flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach - the Toyota Way is not just words on a page, it is a system of beliefs that must drive all behavior. Sitting in your offices with your doors closed does not promote respect for people or continuous improvement.

If you're an intelligent, strong willed women, this isn't the company for you.

District Service & Parts Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsStability would be the number one reason to want to work at Toyota. It is very difficult to be fired or laid off, regardless of your experience or contribution.

ConsThe pay is not competitive with the same jobs at other automotive companies. Also, if you are interested in "pay for porformance", then you shouldn't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should pay closer attention to those that are going against the grain. It could be a major positive for your company. You need more forward thinkers at Toyota. You have too much of the same.

Worked for Toyota? Contribute to the Community!