Toyota Motor Sales

Toyota Motor Sales Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
3.9

Toyota Motor Sales Chairman & CEO Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Yoshimi Inaba
Yoshimi Inaba

Pros
  • The company really cares about their employees and their work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, including a pension that most companies no longer offer (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of opportunity and now the company is moving to Texas (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid company to work for with good benefits and great work life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits, paid time off, 9/80, pension, lease car including insurance, casual dress. Company salary is very competitive with annual bonus. Overall strong supportive management with a great pool of high performing associates.

Cons

Company relocating to Texas, culture will probably change with less respect for people as now looking at the bottom line. Anticipate benefits to change as Texas is an employer friendly state. A lot of silo's and runs on some antiquated systems.

Excellent company. Treats employees well.

Current Employee - Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Respect for employees. Movement within the company is encouraged. Great benefits.

Cons

Moving to TX. Titles are not glamorous.

Great work life balance.

Current Employee - Strategic Planner in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Planner in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance. Good Pay, benefits. Intelligent co-workers and respect for people.

Cons

Moving to Plano, TX is a bummer

Friend at work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and grow. Friendly, helpful, and professional people work at Toyota. Long tenured employees so they value teamwork and helping each other.

Cons

Hierarchical organization. Depending on the department you work, it takes time for your ideas to come to fruition and get implemented. Slow and hierarchical decision making.

Push more decision making down to the front line and hold managers accountable for coaching and developing their associates.

Was a interesting summer

Former Employee - Automotive Technical in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Automotive Technical in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota Motor Sales as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It a great environment family like typical work hours 8 to 5 great benefit and 2 weeks paid for Christmas holiday

Cons

Got the internship then got offered low ball pay for Southern California and did not give any room for negotiating it was a taking it or leave it case. Most workers have to have 2 or 3 roommates just to survive. Like I said not a very competitive salary

Offer a more competitive salary 53500 is like minimum wage in Torrance CA and when you promise a internship in one area don't put them in a job where their true skills cannot be used.

Some Travel but a lot of interaction with dealer and field personnel.

Current Employee - Fixed Operations in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Fixed Operations in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, extremely stable company even during the economic downturn. One of very few companies to keep associates at the HQ level and at the slower non producing plants during this time. Good Pension great 401k and a lots of opportunity for growth. Some travel in this position but very well keeps it interesting. Excited about the new products and supporting various departments and field personnel a plus.

Cons

Moving to Texas is one issue. Personal growth is dependent on the person and not really the company but they do encourage movement in the company and field experience.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Administrator in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, great core values and respect for associates.

Cons

The company is relocating to Plano, Texas.

Continue to take care of the associates and growth and profits will follow.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very Helpful, Very professional, Very Diverse

Cons

Wish there was a smaller bridge to cross to be converted from a contingent worker to a full time.

I have been a Toyota associate for 22 years

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free coffee? Nice buildings? Pension? Pool? Starbucks? Never being more than just an average associate?

Cons

Where to start... The biggest issue: Incompetent Band 4 managers..
    Those band 4 managers act as though they are the greatest/smartest/perfect humans on the planet.
    They easily criticize performance and rarely recognize accomplishments.. National Managers don't have enough time to 'manage' the band 4 managers. So those managers have the luxury of running their subordinates into the ground. Continually micro managing their subordinates as if they were the lunch teacher watching over the elementary kids. However - these same managers are so disengaged with the work that you will often hear an associate speaking to their manager like a special ed teacher speaks to a mentally challenged kid. Managers don't know the company's goals and objectives.. I know this personally as I was just given my own goals and objectives (which are supposed to align with the company goals - this is DIRECTED by the company).. And they had nothing to do with the company goals.. One of my goals was to not engage in conversations with too many people.. Ah.. What? My goal is to shut up.. I truly believe that my manager needed something to say negative about me... Obviously he/she doesn't know how to provide goals/objectives.. And the frustrating part - there is nothing you can so.. Toyota will stand behind a manager if an associate complains... Even if the manager has HIT and swore at an associate - HR will turn it around and make it your fault.. It's a very frustrating place to work. These managers (who are truly unsupervised themselves) walk around confident that they can do and say anything because they know that the company won't touch them.. In over 20 years I've seen managers do the most despicable things.. Nothing happens. If you have a serious claim against a manager (discrimination for example) and you have proof - HR will destroy you. I knew of an associate who was mistreated by the manager (even had emails to prove it) HR dug into the associates background and found the most innocent stuff - but made the associate feel as though they had murdered someone.. Advice to associates: if you want to have a career at Toyota... Keep your mouth shut - no matter how badly your manager treats you.. You will LOSE. Toyota has the best legal/hr team - they are trained like defense attorneys.. They will make you admit to being the reason your boss discriminated against you. And by that point you have ruined your career.. You will go no where.. I remember a manager once told us that we were all stupid - but he/she would have to put up with us because Toyota doesn't fire anyone. Someone in our group complained - and HR defended the manager.
    It's a sick place to work..
    This move to Plano is just a cover to get rid of a lot of fat... And I believe that Toyota will make huge changes once in Texas (not good changes) But if you up and move your entire family (sell your house in Cali, buy a new house in Plano) you are STUCk - for at least 2 years.. If you take the relo package you gotta stay for two years - or you have to pay back all the money they gave you.. There is no way to know in advance what working for Toyota will be like in Texas.. You gotta gamble your life.. Imagine selling your home here in California.. Moving your kids to a new school, your spouse gets a new (crappy) job in Texas.. You buy a new home in Plano.. And all the same non sense of the untouchable incompetent managers come along too.. But now you're in Texas - a much less strict employer state.. Toyota used to proclaim very proudly that they were a 'California' company and they would always be a California company... Ah yeah.... Toyota has a habit of making these absolute proclamations until they decide to change these absolute statements.. But Toyota will do whatever Toyota wants to do even if it is not all that ethical...and if they are 'caught' they just write a big check.

I have no advice - as I said Toyota does whatever Toyota wants to do... And they will bulldoze over anyone that gets in their way...They give lip service to being about respect for people - but that is the furthest thing from the truth.
    I think that Toyota's fake imagine is about to come crashing down.. Americans will wise up and realize that Toyota isn't the 'hero' they claim to be and the consumer will hurt them where it hurts most - car sales. The only thing Toyota pays attention to is car sales..

Previously a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota Motor Sales full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible start times (although frequent overtime work depending upon the department)
    Generally good people to work with

Cons

Family atmosphere and fun are gone and big company disease is entrenched
    Little room for personal and career growth
    Upper management very slow to make decisions

Practice what you preach