Toyota Motor Sales

Toyota Motor Sales Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.9

Toyota Motor Sales Chairman & CEO Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Yoshimi Inaba
Yoshimi Inaba

Pros
  • The company really cares about their employees and their work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Great benefits, including a pension that most companies no longer offer (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 7 reviews)

• Very hierarchical which results in traditional decision-making happening at the top and behind closed doors (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Some Travel but a lot of interaction with dealer and field personnel.

Current Employee - Fixed Operations  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Fixed Operations in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, extremely stable company even during the economic downturn. One of very few companies to keep associates at the HQ level and at the slower non producing plants during this time. Good Pension great 401k and a lots of opportunity for growth. Some travel in this position but very well keeps it interesting. Excited about the new products and supporting various departments and field personnel a plus.

Cons

Moving to Texas is one issue. Personal growth is dependent on the person and not really the company but they do encourage movement in the company and field experience.

Satisfying if not challenging!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales

Pros

The organization encourages and supports change.

Cons

Individuals, not surprisingly, are sometimes a hindrance to that change.

Don't create boxes to begin with, then you won't have to try and get out of them later.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance, great core values and respect for associates.

Cons

The company is relocating to Plano, Texas.

Continue to take care of the associates and growth and profits will follow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very Helpful, Very professional, Very Diverse

Cons

Wish there was a smaller bridge to cross to be converted from a contingent worker to a full time.

Previously a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible start times (although frequent overtime work depending upon the department)
    Generally good people to work with

Cons

Family atmosphere and fun are gone and big company disease is entrenched
    Little room for personal and career growth
    Upper management very slow to make decisions

Practice what you preach

Worked for Toyota 8 years

I worked at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High salary, great benefits and car lease program. Paid training and laid out standards and expectations of working environment.

Cons

If you work in a warehouse forget about moving up unless you either have a degree, know someone or are a woman looking to be a "secretary" for an important man. Most of the people I know who still work for the company can't stand their job, they just can't find another which will pay the salary they are at. I was injured at work and they put me through the ringer, had people come to my house to interview me, watched my house and denied my claims until they finally accepted it a year later and fired me on the day of my surgery. I literally got the call the morning of my surgery and they stated I was separated from the company and had three days to turn in my vehicle. That said, they do pay you very well and the benefits are amazing.

Treat people like they matter and they will work hard for you. Treat every situation as an individual issue. You hire people for their abilities to contribute and make their work environment better - try listening.

I have been a Toyota associate for 22 years

Current Employee - Associate Analyst  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free coffee? Nice buildings? Pension? Pool? Starbucks? Never being more than just an average associate?

Cons

Where to start... The biggest issue: Incompetent Band 4 managers..
    Those band 4 managers act as though they are the greatest/smartest/perfect humans on the planet.
    They easily criticize performance and rarely recognize accomplishments.. National Managers don't have enough time to 'manage' the band 4 managers. So those managers have the luxury of running their subordinates into the ground. Continually micro managing their subordinates as if they were the lunch teacher watching over the elementary kids. However - these same managers are so disengaged with the work that you will often hear an associate speaking to their manager like a special ed teacher speaks to a mentally challenged kid. Managers don't know the company's goals and objectives.. I know this personally as I was just given my own goals and objectives (which are supposed to align with the company goals - this is DIRECTED by the company).. And they had nothing to do with the company goals.. One of my goals was to not engage in conversations with too many people.. Ah.. What? My goal is to shut up.. I truly believe that my manager needed something to say negative about me... Obviously he/she doesn't know how to provide goals/objectives.. And the frustrating part - there is nothing you can so.. Toyota will stand behind a manager if an associate complains... Even if the manager has HIT and swore at an associate - HR will turn it around and make it your fault.. It's a very frustrating place to work. These managers (who are truly unsupervised themselves) walk around confident that they can do and say anything because they know that the company won't touch them.. In over 20 years I've seen managers do the most despicable things.. Nothing happens. If you have a serious claim against a manager (discrimination for example) and you have proof - HR will destroy you. I knew of an associate who was mistreated by the manager (even had emails to prove it) HR dug into the associates background and found the most innocent stuff - but made the associate feel as though they had murdered someone.. Advice to associates: if you want to have a career at Toyota... Keep your mouth shut - no matter how badly your manager treats you.. You will LOSE. Toyota has the best legal/hr team - they are trained like defense attorneys.. They will make you admit to being the reason your boss discriminated against you. And by that point you have ruined your career.. You will go no where.. I remember a manager once told us that we were all stupid - but he/she would have to put up with us because Toyota doesn't fire anyone. Someone in our group complained - and HR defended the manager.
    It's a sick place to work..
    This move to Plano is just a cover to get rid of a lot of fat... And I believe that Toyota will make huge changes once in Texas (not good changes) But if you up and move your entire family (sell your house in Cali, buy a new house in Plano) you are STUCk - for at least 2 years.. If you take the relo package you gotta stay for two years - or you have to pay back all the money they gave you.. There is no way to know in advance what working for Toyota will be like in Texas.. You gotta gamble your life.. Imagine selling your home here in California.. Moving your kids to a new school, your spouse gets a new (crappy) job in Texas.. You buy a new home in Plano.. And all the same non sense of the untouchable incompetent managers come along too.. But now you're in Texas - a much less strict employer state.. Toyota used to proclaim very proudly that they were a 'California' company and they would always be a California company... Ah yeah.... Toyota has a habit of making these absolute proclamations until they decide to change these absolute statements.. But Toyota will do whatever Toyota wants to do even if it is not all that ethical...and if they are 'caught' they just write a big check.

I have no advice - as I said Toyota does whatever Toyota wants to do... And they will bulldoze over anyone that gets in their way...They give lip service to being about respect for people - but that is the furthest thing from the truth.
    I think that Toyota's fake imagine is about to come crashing down.. Americans will wise up and realize that Toyota isn't the 'hero' they claim to be and the consumer will hurt them where it hurts most - car sales. The only thing Toyota pays attention to is car sales..

Current Employee of 20+ Years

Current Employee - Professional Staff - Band III  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Staff - Band III in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers are good people and there is great camaraderie. Benefits are decent, but no long term care. Staff managers are decent and the work environment is very good. Toyota makes excellent vehicles.

Cons

The company doesn't care about it's employees although they preach employees are their "#1 asset". Toyota treats everyone like a "number" and is moving to TX w/o the regard of employees who have worked 20+ years. Toyota will not consider tele-commuting or offer a "buyout" or early retirement to employees who elect not to move..

Care about your employees and they will work harder for you. Listen to what employees are saying and talking about and be "in touch" w/them. Review methodologies of companies w/happy employees who have higher production levels.

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Relative security
    Decent pay and benefits
    Sells products we are proud to stand behind
    A lot of diversity in jobs you can pursue

Cons

Moving to Texas in two years
    As in a lot of large companies, there are a lot of politics
    Although officially one core foundation is respect, recently seems like actions are no longer based on that

Less sticking head in sand

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota Motor Sales full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership is great and the benefits that the company provides to you, cannot be beat!

Cons

There are no Cons for me

Worked for Toyota Motor Sales? Contribute to the Community!