Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.8 1,052 reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas(in 37 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program(in 48 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers(in 45 reviews)

1,052 Employee Reviews

There was no management structure and the pay was horrible.

Cashier/Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Fayetteville, AR

ProsYou got discounts on items you bought in the store.

ConsThe management has no structure, they will give in to any customer who complains. When they say work till close they mean work 2-3 hours after closing time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up and follow your set rules, and no the customer is not always right, normally the customer wants to get the items they want for half off.

Slow Growth within

Front End Manager (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsWho doesnt love toys, Black Friday is by far the most exciting day.

Conscutting hours always no fun

Constant change

Assistant Store Manager Operations (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with kids makes for fun environment , challenging if you like a challenge , pay is ok if your hired from outside

ConsNot much advancement opportunity they hire from outside a lot , short staffed constantly , upper management has been changed completely twice in 5 years,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ready for it to run your life

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mixed bag.

ProsI was able to gain experience and worked with some good people. They cared about being successful and taking care of the customer despite the leadership to which they were exposed.

ConsThe leadership team seemed to have all studied at the university of micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider not budgeting with engineers and utilizing cross functional teams for improvement.

Overworked / Under appreciated

Overnight Stock (Former Employee) Whitehall, PA

ProsThe pay was above average in terms of temporary employment.

ConsI worked 10PM to 6AM, but due to the workload I never left before 7AM. Really high turnover and some nights people just didn't show up. The orientation had nothing to do with the job description. I understand how corporate regulations are mandated, but for employees to be subjected to the same universal orientation is a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining of 3rd shift was really horrible. A co worker taught me everything, while management was more worried about their own personal duties.

Poor work standards of treating their employees

Sales Team Member (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe people were very friendly and really seemed to help you. Meeting new people everyday was just fun and was a great part of the job.

ConsNo good working conditions and not enough discount (10%) which can barely help with anything and moreover, it excludes almost half the stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management seems to be lacking good training for the sales associates and they need coordination and a systematic procedure of what they do.

If you aren't full-time, you will not survive

Part Time Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt is honestly a simple job

ConsHours, management, salary, raises, pretty much everything. If you aren't a full-time employee then you aren't going to get hours. And just to be clear, Toys R Us considers around 30 hours to be full-time. How anyone can survive off this is unclear considering how little they pay. I only have this job to pay for school. And now that I graduated, I'm definitely not trying to stay with this company. There is little room for moving up. And even then you can't survive on what you are paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and stop setting up your employees for failure

Good for part time

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsFriendly coworkers and management. Working with kids can be fun. Shifts are fairly short. Management was very willing to work with scheduling conflicts.

ConsI was just paid minimum wage for starting pay, which is not enough money to pay rent/buy groceries.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct training needs to be improved. Hands on training with toys and products would be more helpful than computer training.

Like riding on a roller-coaster.

Real Estate Coordinator/Administrative (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsGood people for the most part.

ConsVery difficult to move to better position/level within the company.

Very Satisfied

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Danbury, CT

ProsI loved interacting with the customers, co-workers were friendly , hours were great

ConsI had a hard time with locating merchandise, travel to and from work.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!