Toys ''R'' Us

Toys ''R'' Us Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas(in 37 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program(in 48 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers(in 45 reviews)

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Like riding on a roller-coaster.

Real Estate Coordinator/Administrative (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsGood people for the most part.

ConsVery difficult to move to better position/level within the company.

inconsistent

Distribution Manager (Current Employee) Flanders, NJ

ProsGreat team members that love to work

ConsLong hours with consistent change

I used to work for Toys R us

Cashier/Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe Best reasons to work here would be that you get to see how happy the kids can be, when they see their favorite toy that they have always wanted.

ConsToys R us is very fast paced. You have to learn how use the registers , knowing the credit card system and also advertising the rewards cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementToys R us is a great store to work with. they value their products and ideas from the customers. they work with anyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was was decent and a good way to make extra cash.

Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Carle Place, NY

ProsWorking with toys isn't that hard & the co-workers are pretty cool, job was very simple.

ConsSuper uptight management, holiday season is stressful beyond belief, and like evrey retail job, the customers are a pain to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't go so hard about selling rewards/credit cards because 9/10 of the people that shop there already have one.

The worst job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Yonkers, NY

ProsI thought working in a big company was a good thing it wasn't.

ConsNo chemistry, the manager was a cruel and demanding man. He used profanity toward the employees that were young. Even his best people were abused. The full timers that get less hours than the part timers were harassed by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your operating store managers and your policies.

tremendous uncertainty

Product Development Manager (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

Prosmany opportunities for young professional to gain a start and advance. The company offers some training and development. facilities or campus is nice

Constremendous turnover results in difficulty for experienced employees to advance and grow within the organization. Benefits and compensation are average to below avaerge for location and indsutry.

Advice to Senior Managementemployee engagement needs much improvement and leadership needs to involve, empower, and listen to all levels of the organization

Slowly Going Downhill

Department Supervisor With Keys (Current Employee) East Orange, NJ

ProsGenerally a fun place to work because of the family like team environment. Yearly reviews and small (very small) raises.

ConsTraining is horrible. There is no room for personal growth. You will work yourself into the ground for a company that is so unappreciative. Good luck on having good managers who actually treat you like a human being. I've been called "the help" on multiple occasions. After 5 years in this company, I know when it's time to go and it's definitely time to go. A bunch of changes that are detrimental to team morale and the customer experience are taking place in a lot of stores. There was once a time when I knew this place was a great place to work and now I just see unhappy faces dragging themselves into work every day. It's sad, but it's a job and if you need one you can easily be hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've read the mission statement and the company is missing the mark almost every time in a lot of the stores. When you go on visits, stop focusing so much on what the store manager and asm's have to say and really start talking to your lower level employees. The ideas some of the employees have may be very helpful and they may open your eyes to problems that you didn't know existed. If it looks like you care, the employees feel like they have a purpose and are guaranteed to perform their jobs better.

Toys "R" Us is an experience that will teach you to have more patience.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsYou get to help new parents or experienced parents to find what they need. It gives me a good feeling to know that I helped someone in need. This included guiding new moms and dads through the Babies R Us side of the store. They did have part time health insurance that was cheap but it was canceled because it really didn't cover any cost for Rx's and it didn't meet the min. requirements for the Affordable care act. They also have a Profit sharing program even for part timers. the 401(K) plans offer 4% match on your contributions which is better than nothing.

ConsOften schedule PT employees FT hours and not make the Employees FT to get the Health insurance plan.
    The raises are a slap in the face ranging anywhere from 1 cent to 30 cents each year and doing a better job that the year before doesn't mean you will get a better raise.
    They offer in inadequate training to be an effective sales floor associate. To be one you need to pretty much teach yourself about almost everything.
    many times if you give the manager an open availability they give you horrible hours for months at a time. For example Closing shift on Friday night when you get out at 11:30 approx. and then have to be back at work to open the next day barely 8 hours later.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider telling the store managers to push more lower level employees in store up the chain of command instead of hiring outside people who need to be trained more so about the products in the store.
    Having stores give employees the raises they deserve instead of giving a store a budget and saying split it up appropriately. The last round of reviews/raises had many employees disgruntled. Many of the employees that give better customer service, are now looking to leave and will leave your stores with many of the people who are not as good. The base pay is now the minimum in NY and is too low if you want to attract and keep the better people.

Not the best place for an IT Manager, good place to work for a while though.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsCompany staying private so it avoids some of the stock market pressure.
    Well known global company giving you exposure to all facets of retail.
    While Jerry Storch was there, there was a great amount of direction, focus, and feedback given to everyone.

ConsConstant oursourcing of IT people to the point that all of the subject matter experts are non existent.
    Company does not seem to value IT, only sees it as an expense.
    Upper management is very critical of IT and focuses more on reporting and governance than actually building and maintaining high quality systems.
    They preach Frugal not Cheap, but the decisions are always the other way around.
    Long hours and not a lot of appreciation.
    No places to grow as a career and opportunities seem to be given to the more popular or loudest and definitely not the top talent. Company loses top talent due to poor work/life balance (which used to be great) and not taking initiative to promote quality employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold more IT people on staff, outsourcing is killing the company's ability to act quickly and build high quality systems. Don't be so cheap with what systems to centralize on or upgrade.
    Relax on hammering employees and managers through the change management process, you should realize it's a guide, not the end of the world.
    Reach out and promote high quality employees before they leave, waiting for people to speak up leads to promoting only the squeaky wheel and promotion of favorites rather than the best people for the job.

Good environment but company is struggling

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsGood salary and benefits. IT department has interesting projects and a friendly environment. Management is generally fair to employees. Beautiful corporate campus in the woods, with wildlife frequently visible.

ConsCompany's financial situation is not ideal, due to long-term debt and the general decline of brick-and-mortar retail. Employees are well-compensated but increasingly asked to "do more with less".

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!