Toys ''R'' Us

2.8
1,241 Reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 41 reviews)

• Started in 2011 as a seasonal then got hired on as a part time back of house/ merchandiser (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much emphasis on selling credit cards and warranties makes things stressful (in 63 reviews)

• In the private brands area in particular, there is no such things as work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

179 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience, I'm planning on going back!

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, pay, benefits, and very friendly coworkers and management!

Cons

Being a temporary worker, the hours were different every week.

Be more consistent with hours please!

No such thing as Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, team-oriented environment, beautiful campus.

Cons

In the private brands area in particular, there is no such things as work/life balance. They pay lip service to it, but in the end, the pressure is so great, the timelines so tight and the amount of time spent in meetings throughout the day so intense that most people can't get to their actual work until 5:30--the alleged end of the day. 11-13 hour days are the norm. Way too much time spent in meetings and on hundreds of unnecessary emails every day.

Stop changing leadership. Figure out what works and stay with it. No more upheaval.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate enviornment, strong brand, company values, perks, family-oriented

Cons

Benefits, promotions, training, long hours, a lot of meetings

Need to improve on training, work-life balance in some departments

People stay Toys R Us Kids

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were all great team players. Working in such a massive store keeping things in order requires all hands on deck, that is something I always enjoyed.

Cons

I found it difficult to climb up the ladder to success. Everything seemed to work on a who you know bases, not a professional what you know basis. This made the job kind of uncomfortable, non the less a high school competition for popularity.

Being more verbal with the team, Emails don't always make a point.

It's an OK Part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice environment, there's some room for growth

Cons

Very little hours scheduled per week. Very hard to get hired full-time.

More incentives

No team efforts

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Flushing, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my time working at toysrus I loved helping parents shopping for their kids. Especially during Christmas time, the season of giving!

Cons

Most of the challenges I faced were the miscommunications between management and team members. There was no organization and a lot of the time I would question how can a store manager of over a decade working with this company still not be able to handle organizing something as simple as team members schedules!

It took me 4 years to become a front end supervisor. If there's room for growth and you plead for a promotion it will be revised maybe even overlooked several times but in the end you get your $12.00 an hour. How happy are you now?

ehhhh

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule.
    Pretty quick recovery after store closes unlike most retail stores.
    It's a pretty simple job.

Cons

-They are heavy on this metrics thing they have (credit cards and warranty on toys)
    if you dont get someone to sign up for their stupid credit cards or get warranties, you get written up as no contribution for that day u worked. This could effect your hours you get. They dont even give commission if u get someone to sign up for credit cards. They do it for "bragging rights," stupid as hell.
    -Employee discount is honestly a joke (10%), In reality that does nothing but eliminate the tax on items. You can't use it on Apple products or Game systems.
    -If it's not the holiday season, there are a lot of slow days and gets really tedious and boring.
    -The pay is horrible ($8.50)
    -Times Square location, a lot of rude tourists that just come to take pictures and get on the Ferris Wheel.
    -Interview process was a bit much.
    -Unlike my other jobs that I've had, you cant view your schedule on a website. You have to wait until the floor managers post it on a wall or in your section's binder.

If you're going to push so hard for your unnecessary credit card, at least give commission for your employees like Macy's, J.C. Penney, Best Buy, etc..
    -the employee discount isnt really a discount, it's just barely enough to take away the tax. Should be at least 15%-20%.
    -the pay should be at least a dollar more

Decent company...

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love and miss all of my coworkers! They made the job fun ! Flexible scheduling perfect for college students.

Cons

Worked under three different store managers and they were all terrible to work for. Out of the COUNTLESS assistant store managers, some were really awesome but most were the same as the SMs. Pay was decent for retail (A little above minimum wage). I, personally, did not like the policies of the company nor their outrageous prices but toward the end of my time with them they finally caved into price matching year-round so I was able to help customers not get robbed.

Appreciate your workers, set reasonable goals and praise them when they reach them- not just raise them.

A great experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with public,making children smile, great customer service experience, workin with passionate co workers and of course toys and video games

Cons

The only down side is the holiday season can be stressful at times if you're not prepared to deal with customers at a high volume.

Depressingly miserable and absolutely down right surprising.

Former Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy a large company, old technology and talking about other coworkers. Also, if you enjoy putting blame on others for your slack.

Cons

Old technology. Gossipy environment. Many miserable data entry workers. Old computers/tables/facilities. No understanding of the creative environment and the right way to market and promote their multitude of merchandise.

You have 13 billion dollars in revenue. Invest in your technology and hire creative and innovative minds that are not treated like robots.