Toys ''R'' Us

2.9
1,309 Reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 41 reviews)

• Started in 2011 as a seasonal then got hired on as a part time back of house/ merchandiser (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much emphasis on selling credit cards and warranties makes things stressful (in 63 reviews)

• In the private brands area in particular, there is no such things as work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great First Job

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Algonquin, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Wonderful managers and coworkers. They really make you feel appreciated and part of the team. The manager is good about giving you the hours you want, and giving you the days off that you need. My store was a Toys R Us/Babies R Us. I was hired as Toy side cashier, but I learned the register and floor on Babies and Toy side. I also helped a little with the back of house. I liked the variety of work that I was taught.

Cons

Starting rate of 8.50 per hour. No chance of raise unless you have been working there over a year.

Not the best place to get into retail.

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Each team worked well with each other. Good friendships made. Felt great finding those special toys for those who are desperately seeking them.

Cons

Customers can get unruly especially during the holiday seasons. Raises was minimal at best. Really hard to stand out due to favoritism for certain employees.

Try to be impartial to all employees who work there. Many of them are deserving of promotions and raises but due to favoritism, many employees tend to leave for other opportunities.

Felt very at home at first, but not for very long

Former Employee - Overnight Stock in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Stock in Bronx, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you work during day shifts you can more or less set your schedule and you can learn to work in different parts of the store, most managers are good to work with. Working overnight can be really fun (you're spending the night in a toy store, every kids' dream)

Cons

I didn't receive any formal training, I had to use what I learned working retail in the past. I was asked (more like forced) to clean the store bathrooms when I was an overnight employee (not part of my job description); the harsh chemicals ruined most of my work clothes, damaged my hands and made me sick.

It is much better to be patient with employees rather than be rude when they do something they haven't been trained to not know how to do.

Not great pay, poor management at times

Current Employee - Team Member W/Manager Numbers
    Current Employee - Team Member W/Manager Numbers

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was relatively easy to earn a full-time job after being a seasonal employee as long as you did your job. People are fun to work with, making children smile after they get their toys. Promotions are frequent, usually about 3-4 a year. Holidays are very fast pace, but I've always thought they were fun (I almost never get too stressed, though others do all the time)

Cons

Good luck making more than $8.50, as raises are ONCE per year of employment. For that low of a wage, asked to do a lot of work. Me personally, I work Guest Services, Electronics, Big Ticket, Cashier, and Overnight Stock Crew, and have been told by supervisors that I am an exceptional employee. However, the pay doesnt show for it. Management also has a lot of problems with scheduling. One week you'll get 35-40 hours, next week you'll get 10. Management is also a pushover, as the store manager will ALWAYS give the customer what they want. Coupon doesnt work on an item or its expired? NO PROBLEM! The manager will just give it to them, even if the print says otherwise. Angry guests are also pretty frequent, as is theft.

Schedule hours more consistently. Its hard to be a college student in an apartment and pay bills when hours aren't predictable. Also, scheduling on non-available days/shifts is a big issue in my store. Also, instead of making your employees look stupid to a guest when their coupon is invalid, actually follow the policy or coupon terms instead of just being a pushover and giving it to them. Theft also needs to be improved. We literally do nothing to stop a shoplifter.

Toys R Us was a stressful, but fair place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Kind of fun to help people find toys, always cool seeing kids get excited
    -Employer was fairly flexible with my schedule as a student, even allowing for time off around test and such

Cons

-Rewards program pushed way too hard, could make work more stressful than it needed to be
    -Dealing with crying kids and angry grandmas all the time was a pain

Relax when it comes to "metrics." Focus more on your employees instead.

Amazing company to work for. Loved making the kids happy, but some parents can just be crazy.

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Easy flexible schedule and good management overall.

Cons

10% employee saves you next to nothing.

Regular retail job

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Friendly environment
    Flexible
    Good working conditions
    Good employee discounts

Cons

Unorganized management
    High sales pressure
    High turnover rate

Great job for college students.

Former Employee - BOH Specialist in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - BOH Specialist in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

The best part of working at Toys R Us is that it's generally a fun environment being as you're working in a toy store. They will work around your college schedule and you will learn basic customer service and communication skills.

Cons

Same as any other retail job. You will deal with rude customers and also some employees that don't really want to work. (Toys R Us has to hire way too many people during winter season; naturally some will be sub par.)

Quality over quantity when hiring for season. Better motivation for offering Rewards Cards/Credit Cards..

Really great place to work!

Current Employee - Off Hours Stock Crew in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Off Hours Stock Crew in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Making smiles and memories
    Learning new operations

Cons

The occasional angry customer. But that's anywhere.

Keep up the great work!

I love toys this place was awesome

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

You can play all day while on the job.

Cons

Dealing with the crazy kids can get pretty annoying at times

Management sucks