Toys ''R'' Us

2.9
1,114 Reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 38 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program (in 49 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved it, then hated it. Always keep in mind that one bad store does not make the company bad.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member  in  Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Dothan, AL

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned many things about the retail business, great stepping stone. My supervisors were the best, and made sure mine and others concerns were heard.

Cons

What you do is sometimes unappreciated when you go above and beyond to help the store as whole function. It is important to remember that the same loyalty that you have is not going to be reciprocated. Do not bend over backwards for them because when you need something, the same is not done, I am speaking of management.

Judge a person based on their work ethic, not that they are just a yes boy or girl. I know someone who was one of the laziest people I have ever met who received a promotion even though supervisors thought it was a bad idea.

No one grows wanting to be a cashier...

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in the bellevue location therefore they paid well above minimum wage.
    Flexible schedule.
    Good transition job.

Cons

After holiday season is over your hours go down the drain, you'll be lucky to get 8 hours in a week.

It was ok

Former Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of toys. Get to see kids smile and make them happy. Flexible hours. Busy on weekends.

Cons

Management sucks sometimes. Thanksgiving you never have off. Always having to offer help even though you might annoy guest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good 1st learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member  in  Citrus Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Citrus Heights, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was my first job after graduating high school and it was a great first learning experience. They were very flexible with work schedules and were considerate of my college schedule. This was a seasonal part time job and I feel like I got a really good taste of what the retail industry is all about. I loved the environment the other employees where very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Their hands on training wasn't very organized. I was mainly learning from asking other employees how to do things. I was given a checklist at the beginning of things I was supposed to be taught during the training. However, I was only taught a bit over half of those things and once got called out for not doing something I was never taught to do. Also there were not a lot of opportunities to move up. Most of the employees there are older and have been there for a long time so I assume promotions aren't very common.

Make sure the nonsupervisory levels get the credit they deserve.

Very good

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Loved the people I worked with

Cons

Your just a number. they don't appreciate loyality.

Treat long time employes better

Seasonal

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than a year

Pros

They were very flexible with my schedule, and basically allowed my co-workers and I to trade any hours/shifts we wanted to without having to bother them about it first, because it was Christmas time and they clearly didn't have time to deal with our 'petty issues.'
    They also were more than accommodating when I told them I was having severe hip pains from walking around the store - 'Sales Team Member' = circling the entire store on foot for 10-14 hours at a time. When I told them, they switched me back to the register *and gave me a high-end, well-padded office chair straight from the store manager's office* just so I could continue to work without having to suffer through pain, and even though I was just a piddly seasonal worker.
    They definitely made me feel like myself and my health were a concern to them, and that would definitely make me recommend them to someone seeking work.

Cons

Seasonal work, all the same - Busy atmosphere, 99% of employees have no clue what they're doing, and the higher-ups and authorital figures have no idea who you are or what you're supposed to be doing, so in turn, neither do you.
    I don't blame them though. I was there on Black Friday 2011, 2012, and 2013. Bloodbath.

Hire enough seasonal management to handle the extra seasonal team members.
    Much less would be stolen, and much more would end up on the right shelves.

A great experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with public,making children smile, great customer service experience, workin with passionate co workers and of course toys and video games

Cons

The only down side is the holiday season can be stressful at times if you're not prepared to deal with customers at a high volume.

Nice

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

There are very very Friendly

Cons

They have very Long hours

Nothing

decent workplace worked as a seasonal during holiday season

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay is decent,good solid company, lots of users, fast paced work,coworkers are great people to work with.company will work with your school schedule

Cons

not much investment in the employees and difficult road to advancement , not enough staffing at peak hours.
    Job training was minimal at best

invest more in the employees and this company can improve

Fun Dedicated Team

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time

Pros

Desire for associate improving performance, good tools offered to improve your teams performance.

Cons

Toy Retail industry very tough to compete against Wal-Mart, target, Amazon- using Toys as loss leader

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!