Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Jul 30, 2014

2.8 1,061 reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 38 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program (in 49 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights
1,061 Employee Reviews

mehh

Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosnot much didnt enoy it

Conshorrible management horrible co workers

Advice to Senior Managementchange it

Was like nobody told anybody else what was going on.

Cashier (Former Employee)

Prostoys, location, some kids, earning some money.

Conscoworkers, training was useless, pushing credit cards, and rewards program.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain workers better. Stop pushing credit cards and rewards programs then blaming your employees when nobody wants them.

This company is confused

Department Supervisor With Keys (Current Employee)

Pros- 10% discount on most items

- Most team members are great to work with.

- When we win Instant Credit contests the company now comes through with the prizes, instead of just forgetting about us.

-Earned Time Off, Vacation, Paid Time Off, and Sick Time

Cons- The compensation is horrible considering the expectations and daily goals.

- Majority of consumers do not realize this, but we are responsible for more than just selling toys. We're not like Walmart where they just greet consumers, scan their items, and send them on their way. We have to make Daily goals with Rewards Cards, Instant Credit Applications, Buyer Protection Plans, Battery sales, Sales in general, and surveys taken from the receipt. Now they added checkout speeds. So the next time your checking out at a ToysRUs, at least give the cashier the courtesy of listening to these offers because we have to say them to every guest and we have to make the numbers or we get yelled at by upper management, and hounded on conference calls.

- Constantly hiring from outside and not promoting from within.

- Constant District Manager switching or turnover.

- Not enough hours to staff, "full time" to this company is 30 hours, lucky to get up to 35 hours a week out of season. Part time employees usually get 1-3 days.

- Store manager never works a closing shift, he/she makes the other managers work inconsistent shifts. (This happens in my current store, but not all)

- Hard work goes unnoticed to those above the store manager. They think it is all his/her doing.

- They take too much consideration into surveys that mostly only venting bad experience people will take. They are monitored daily/weekly/monthly/yearly.

- Constant changing directions with company objectives, currently "Clean & Bright" which means to clean up current stores, but not giving additional hours to do so.

...and so on...

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your game plan and stick to it, stop constantly changing objectives/directions.

Store managers should not be making 80K-130k a year for what they do (or don't do) take some of the salary and pay your employees that do most of the work better. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you (still waiting for this company to realize this)

Give stores more hours to properly train team members, give 40 hours to full time employees, and more than 1-3 days for part time employees!

Get rid of so many daily metrics, focus on 1 or 2 (Rewards and Instant Credits)

Promote from within!! They keep hiring externally and then have to spend months training when there are people ready and able to fill higher up positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI do not know of a not a single perk to name unless you are at the management level.

Consno training, no support, random hours with little notice. Much of the equipment that we were given and expected to use for the job was either broken or in very bad shape.

eh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay for the work

Conslack of management or leadership

Awful.

Team Member (Current Employee)

Pros-None. Made some friends, but thats about it.

Cons-Awful managers
    -Didn't listen to availability
    -Cheated me out of money
    -Awful hours
    -VERY disorganized
    -Was never able to take breaks
    -Bad training
    -Awful customers
    -Dirty store
    -Worked on major holidays without time and half or a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to get more organized.

Terribly unorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay average to above average for the work...retail/merch/sales...

ConsA lot of violent/low class coworkers. Background checks must be nonexistent

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your workers to be more people friendly. Stop hiring creepy or ignorant people.

If there was a way to give this company negative stars, I would

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing good I can say about this company. They underpay and overwork their salaried managers. They accept mediocrity in their hourly employees because they pay them so little that it does not matter to them. As long as the salaried employees work 60 to 70 hours a week, this will never change. They tie the hands of their managers to hold hourly employees to any standards by not having proper policies in place for poor behavior.

ConsI worked for this company for almost two years. I took another job recently so that I could escape with some sanity. I was a salaried manager. During my tenure, I was working 10 to 15 hours a day. Working 15-17 hours a day 6 days a week from November through December. I gave two weeks notice and worked as hard as always for those two weeks expecting to receive my complete salary as well as the vacation that I had been unable to take because of the needs of the store. Not only did they not pay me for my last week of work, they refuse to pay my earned vacation pay. That is how much they appreciate their employees. In case you think this is sour grapes, you are wrong. I was a loyal, hardworking employee. Excellent reviews and commendations. But enough is enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you can. This company is grasping at straws.

Worst company ever

Back of House Associate (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsI love that they are willing to work with your schedule.

ConsPay is terrible. I've been told by both assistant store managers that I am the hardest worker they have ever seen. I work Back of House and Assembly as well as on the sales floor. But when yearly reviews and raises came around, the store manager gave NO ONE, including me, a raise because he wasn't getting one. The hours suck, I get scheduled anywhere from 10 to 28 hours a week. And the days can seem completely random. Alos, they have unreasonable expectations of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe loyal to your loyal employees. Stop expecting employees to drop everything in their lives for the company if you are going to continue to treat them as if they are worthless.

Dept Mgr - Distribution

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay and decent benefits.

ConsLong hours. Six days a week for 75% of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!