Toys ''R'' Us Reviews

2.9
1,426 Reviews
Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 41 reviews)

• Started in 2011 as a seasonal then got hired on as a part time back of house/ merchandiser (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much emphasis on selling credit cards and warranties makes things stressful (in 63 reviews)

• In the private brands area in particular, there is no such things as work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

1. Department Supervisor

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Fun people, get to see mom's and kids smiles, and bring joy.

Cons

The company has some real issues training, they seem to just throw you out to the masses, letting you grab the bull by the horns, they don't train you, there is no organization, the stores are very dysfunctional, and as a supervisor your expected to do 10 people's jobs, your expected to replenish your entire department, build your displays, correct inventory, do all your planograms all on your own, on top of this supervisors have to run the store, and do the store managers job while the store manager takes at lest one week off a month and 3 days off a week he isn't on "vacation."

Advice to Management

Fire the casual people who come in only once a month for 8 hours give those hours to people who will actually come in and work, come up with a training plan to get your eployees better trained, and don't pay a supervisor 12 dollars an hour to do a store managers job, that's why he has a asst. Store manager, gets your act together.

2. Terrible

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

None. This company gets rid of good employees so they can pay management so much money and they just up and quit and screw them in the long run

Cons

Terrible company to work for they're going down quickly it's a sinking ship get off of it before you go down with it

Advice to Management

Stop laying upper management so much money so that you can retain the valuable employees that actually work hard for your company

3. This USED to be a great company to work for

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun products, challenging work environment

Cons

Corporate culture has become negative and completely money driven. No appreciation for employees or the efforts they put in. Lots of positions/advancement opportunities cut over the past year.

Advice to Management

Take time (and spend the money) to appreciate your employees who work hard. You are going to lose a lot of great talent.

5. Responsibilities

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of toys and the work is not hard.

Cons

When I was there I went in as a seasonal employee. After three nights of working they decided to make me a supervisor. However they were not willing to give me supervisor pay or any benefits. They wanted me to make the same amount as every other seasonal person but wanted me to have twice the responsibilities. Needless to say I quit. I didn't need the job just wanted something to take up some of my free time.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees based on performance and their role within the company. If someone is fulfilling all the responsibilities and then some of a supervisor my advice is to pay that person what they deserve.

6. Terrible they didn't train but one day, I was completely lost this being my first job.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Davenport, IA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing really good. Pay was okay. Not the best. I mean if you need a job bad it's alright.

Cons

The trained me one day as cashier. Didn't understand at all. Then my first day of work on my own they through me in as a sales worker, when I wasn't trained to do that at all.

Advice to Management

Step up on training new workers.

7. Terrible

Current Employee - Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

None. Very Very Very Very Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad experience

Cons

Management is awful. Almost got a lawyer to help bc it was so bad. I was treated horrible. I wish I never worked therr

Advice to Management

Train better

8. Horrible company.

Current Employee - SRS in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - SRS in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Good people that struggle to do 6 jobs a piece.

Cons

So many tasks that the company wants done and no payroll.

Advice to Management

So many tasks with no payroll.

9. Corporate is completely disconnected from the stores

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

The other employees are what keep me coming back. I also enjoy getting to see all the new babies and watching them grow up. Most of the customers are pleasant.

Cons

Not enough payroll hours to run the store and complete all the projects that the corporate office expects to get done. Th corporate office has no idea how long any job takes and is not realistic in how they budget payroll. Every year they cut back the payroll hours available to the store and expect more projects to get completed. They have put all their stake into selling credit cards and loyalty cards and have forgotten that sales should lead the hours for the stores. They don't have any health benefits for part time employees . The computer system is out of date and the employee equipment is unreliable. If you aren't in management, the pay is so low that you can't make a decent living and are always fighting for hours with your co workers.

Advice to Management

Update all of the computer system in your stores. Staff stores according to sales and not based on metrics. You want your employees to give great customer service, but you have to have enough employees on staff to do this. Make unannounced visits to your stores to see how things really operate. Managers should not spend all their time in their offices, they should be out on the sales floor running the store and helping the customers

10. Seasonal Cashier position

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

hired very quickly, but not trained well

Cons

no good record keeping of time worked

11. Job is mainly for high school students

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helps you develop customer service, which can help you down the line for other jobs that come along the way.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company, barely get hours until the holiday season starts to come up such as Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Advice to Management

Give more hours and raise the wages. Help others to move into other higher positions.