Toys ''R'' Us Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
1426 reviews filtered by

1. It's Ok

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Getting to help people, discounts, and usually pretty flexible scheduling

Cons

Upper management spends a lot of time telling everyone what is best even though they haven't had much customer interaction at all

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people that work with your customers everyday

2. It was fun

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time

Pros

fun, flexible, easy, and they were okay with me asking for days off. They also offer eto (earned time off), in addition to vacation hours.

Cons

I started off as a sale's associate and then ended up cashiering. Next, I became part of the stock room crew, including shifts that had me going in at 4 am. Next, they discovered my ability to assemble bicycles and run the customer service desk and had me doing that as well. I became an all-around employee, and had even had me training people with no additional compensation.

3. It was my first job ever, so it was excellent experience for me. I got to learn how to work a cash register.

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Working at Toys R Us has helped me so much with what i love which is being around the children and toys environment. I am such a big help with kids in my family and with my friend's son, so I liked working there for that reason. I also got a lot of customers complimenting me on how nice and how helpful I was to them.

Cons

Working at Toys R Us can get a little hectic around holidays, it can get crazy and stressful. It never really stressed me that, actually. I have had a few rude customers and coworkers but I have patience.

Advice to Management

I think if Toys R Us would fix their system totally, I feel like things would work more smoother. There would be no more confusion on schedules and contact and communication.

I was a seasonal cashier during the busy Christmas season.

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

You are always busy. People you work with are nice and always helpful if you have questions on anything.

Cons

Trying to find things in the store for people, when you are only there as a seasonal employee-floor plan was laid out strange to find toys people wanted.

Advice to Management

Hand out a paper with the floor plan on it to new employees so they can help people better find what they are there for.

6. Embraced a new growth strategy that involves changing in every aspect of its operations

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

Positioning in the market to meet the ever increasing demand of customers and the competition on market share

Cons

Employees are not being carried along with the change. There is a disconnect between upper management and grassroots employees.

Advice to Management

Conduct opinion pools

7. Department Manager

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will get good business experience until the next chapter of your life.

Cons

Company is struggling with almost 5 billion in debt. Even if you are successful in your performance metrics merit increases have become small due to the financial condition of the company.

Advice to Management

Hire and pay for high quality management and better performance and quality results will be achieved.

8. If you do freelance run from this place.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wayne, NJ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A laid back corporate environment. They try to make it a team environment. There's a gym, cafe and cafeteria. The campus is nice.

Cons

There is not enough training. People go from meeting to meeting to meeting with very little direction. Nothing seems to ever get accomplished. If you want to learn something new you'll basically be teaching yourself.

Advice to Management

Treat freelancers like they're people too instead of acting like they're an unwanted step child.

9. Years of service coming to an end

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time

Pros

Toys R' Us is one of the nation's largest retailer. It has instant name recognition. There is plenty of interaction between departments, so it is possible to network with many different people.

Cons

For the past few years, sales have been either flat or declining. Competition comes from rivals such as Walmart, Amazon, and Target, who are able to sell toys at a loss. As a result, the company is constantly finding ways to save money, such as restructuring its workforce. It will outsource an entire division to an overseas company.

Advice to Management

I understand outsourcing can result in cost savings; however I believe the quality of service will be sacrificed. The people who will replace the division lacks the experience and communication skills to respond effectively to outside vendors.

10. I really enjoyed working for them

Former Employee - Toy R Us in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Toy R Us in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money, the hours, friendly people

Cons

The low discounts. Dealing with the sales

11. Terrible management

Former Employee - Team Member in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Bronx, NY

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick to promote job duties (not position), decent hours and pay if you're a student with no bills and need pocket change.

Cons

Terrible management. Managers are never around or hard to find. Walkies are never working to call for big orders. Little to no training provided, then you get in trouble for making mistakes.

Advice to Management

Get better managers.