Toys ''R'' Us Reviews

2.9
1,106 Reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 38 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program (in 49 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Frustrating, but fun.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Most of the managers at my store were positive, encouraging. The customers were great- I really enjoyed working the floor, connecting with our patrons.

Cons

During the holiday season it is hectic, messy, noisy. The managers did play favorites, and some of the non-seasonal workers were very rude.

Focus more on the relationships your employees have with the customers- some employees do not know how to handle themselves in certain situations and it really affects the customer's opinion of the company.

Great Part-Time Position

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The store location where I am employed is great with working with a part-time employees and their schedules. The company offers seasonal employment during the Christmas holiday affording the opportunity for selected employees to continue working once the term has ended.

Cons

There are limited hours for part-time employees during different periods of the year when sales for the store are not as high as during the holiday season. So your amount of hours could change during this time.

Broken company

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than a year

Pros

Part timers get Earned Time Off and Vacation time

Cons

Everything else. TRU pays minimum wage to team members that cannot adjust their availability according to the needs of their financial lives. Ex: A team member hired at Christmas works 40 hours per week busting his butt and is one of the 7% who are not laid off and are asked to stay. After Christmas, he knows he will become part time again [<30hours/week] but it's much worse! He is given 4 hours every 2 weeks. So he starts shopping for a new job. Being that he is an outstanding, well-rounded worker, he finds anoth part-time job in retail. Now he has two part-time jobs that he can only give half his time to. It's a lose-lose-lose situation. No wonder the workers are trying to unionize.

Corporate needs to spend some time in the trenches to understand why their "Wildly Important Goals" become Wildly Deprioritized Tasks. Proof is in the pudding! Look at your EOY results last year! You are not able to compete!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad work culture

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great office campus good team members

Cons

Poor work life balance, nepotism.

Take care of your employees treat them as humans and not just numbers.

Confusion

Former Employee - Store Receiving Specialist  in  West Hyattsville, MD
    Former Employee - Store Receiving Specialist in West Hyattsville, MD

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistant Hours, busy, making guest happy

Cons

Lies, short staffed, and stressful

compensation, better growth in the company, relieve stress from employee we can only do so much. (now i know a lot of people can do more, but i would do three peoples jobs daily.

Okay place to work for

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. The pay is decent.

Cons

Inconsistency with policy guidelines. Difficult to take time off when the general manager puts themselves first before others.

Its been frustrating.....

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for less than a year

Pros

Time off!! Lots of it as a salaried employee you get personal and vacation time.

Cons

Communication from corporate and district leadership is diluted and inconsistent.

Focus on talent retention by making your line level employees a priority. Employees have to buy into the dream so that they can truly sell the brand.

If I could give this company no stars, i would!

Former Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time

Pros

probably the decent hoursr, and thats it

Cons

MANAGEMENT, INDICIES, RULES, EMPLOYEES, EVERYTHING!!!

District mangers should definitely have someone go to each store and do an audit on the managers, And managers how about having some care for your employees

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They're really good at working with your schedule. My work schedule depended on my college schedule and they never denied my availability.

You do get some earned time off and paid vacations, but you literally have to be on top of the managers to give them to you because if you don't tell them to check, they don't tell you how much you have or when you're scheduled to lose it.

The pay a little bit higher than minimum wage

Cons

There is immense pressure to make sure you meet the goal in metrics. You absolutely have to have a guest sign up for a Credit Card, Rewards Card, and Buyer Protection Plans. One manager literally told me to not take the first "no" as a definitive answer. They want you to constantly badger customers into signing up for stuff they don't really need. If you don't meet goal, you get written up and are constantly being threatened with your job by management. You can be the most helpful person while out on the sales floor, always be on time, always have a sunny disposition, and be loved by customers. If you don't meet goal, you get fired. It's happened twice already.

What's even worse is that the tense atmosphere has caused numerous employees to cheat to try and get metrics which gets them fired as soon as they're caught. The pressure is really not befitting of the so-called perks you get. If you get two IC's within a shift, you get a $5 gift card. But none of that is worth all of the work you have to do. And now on top of that, they want you to ask all of these questions to get metrics and keep all of the customer transactions under a minute. Toys R Us doesn't care about the associates. We constantly have people quitting and/or getting fired. But they don't care cause there's a long line of people willing to work a crappy, slightly above minimum wage job. They don't care about the customers. All that matters to them are numbers.

Stop stressing the numbers so much! It would be a pretty decent job if it weren't for that. Take a random satisfaction survey of your associates and you'll actually see that a big bulk of the employees that have to get the metrics aren't satisfied with the job and actually hate it because of this.

Don't recommend at all

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Member
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Member

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very few. Maybe the small 10% discount that you can use on a few items. Earned time

Cons

Way too many projects to do with very few people. At the end of the night you could be there for up to 2 hours after closing because there was only 5-6 people working in the store that night.
    The push for credit cards and buyer protection plans. They will fire you if you don't get the numbers they want and they could care less if you are the best customer service person in the world. Management has no respect for the "little people" like us cashiers. We are the backbone of any company but here they just work you into the ground for such little pay.

They don't care enough to listen. Many of us have tried.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!