Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8 1,062 reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 38 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program (in 49 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights
1,062 Employee Reviews

A positive experience for a college student in need of cash

Money Counter (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsFlexible hours, very lenient with time off and understanding of family and school obligations, good coworkers and comparable pay to other retail/entry level jobs.

ConsVery difficult customers, corporate creates unachievable metrics, you will be required to ask each and every customer 15 questions about add-ons, donations, credit cards, and membership cards if you work the cash register, never enough staff to adequately serve every guest.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more hours and actually staff appropriately for the number of customers in the building; give meaningful benefits and incentives, remove half of the metrics

Not team member concentric

Store Manager (Current Employee) North Miami Beach, FL

ProsLearning the upcoming new toys before they hit the street.

ConsCompany is driven only on metrics without providing proper training formats to support healthy growth for their team members

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive your business through the success of your team members and not only on producing results to appease potential investors.

Good place to learn, work life balance, company is currently going through dark period

Manager (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsGreat place to learn, many opportunities for cross departmental lateral moves. Very nice corporate campus, summer 1/2 day friday's.

ConsSloppy restructuring, very poor senior management. Aging and disgruntled executive staff who is very concerned about the closing (possibly closed) window for IPO. Poor overall morale currently. It is not an optimal time to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategies need to be thought out and clear direction needs to be communicated. There is too much "hanging out there" happening accross the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job depending on your management.

Team Member (Current Employee) Wesley Chapel, FL

ProsEasy to move up when positions are avaliable.
    Willing to work around your life.
    Really good hours during christmas.

ConsBad management equals bad experience.
    No longer customer focused.
    Bad pay and raises.
    No hours out of season.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't force your employees to shove things down the guests throat.
    Pick your store managers a little better.
    Do hours different.

Sometimes ok, and sometimes not so good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsCo-workers can be friendly, which is a good thing.

Cons-You have to call or come in to the store to find out what your schedule is like
    -Since it's retail, some employees are not too honest
    -Co-workers can be a bit sketchy
    -Expect to get out past 3 in the morning because of the "re-shop"

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to focus more on the employees and what's going on in the store. Also, put a reasonable amount of workers in every section, so that work is done more efficiently and effectively, and that customers don't have to go around in circles just to find a Sales Associate.

Horrible Experience!

Past Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe retail industry is not suited for me due to the inconsistency,unpredictable scheduling,and demanding (physical) expectations that employees are expected to follow. However, if you enjoy working in the challenging retail store environment, and if you enjoy working the various inconsistent schedules that the retail industry demands of you, then you would probably enjoy working at Toys R Us. Not to mention, if you really enjoy being around people and kids, then this job is for you. There were some nice customers I encountered that appreciated what I would do for them,but some were just plain rude(as is to be expected in the retail industry). Walking around the store non-stop to organize the toys that kids misplaced was tiring and burdensome, but it was a great form of exercise.

ConsWell, let's see....Toys R Us obligates employees to work excruciating hours on major holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving, when they should be allowed to spend that time with their families. Holidays are meant to be spent with family;holidays are not meant for people to be at work slaving away for demanding customers that didn't want to do their christmas shopping in advance. I understand that Toys R Us is a corporation, and as such, needs to make money and profits. However, the CEO and managers at Toys R Us should comprehend and uderstand that the hardworking hourly employees are the ones that contribute to the successes and profits of the company,and without the employees Toys R Us would fall apart. The employees' needs for balance in work and family life should be taken into consideration, because in turn employees will be happy and more productive. Employees are subjected to unsafe work conditions, and management doesn't appropriately train their employees on safety regulations and the safe way to do things; they expect employees to "know" what to do. There is a lack of proper communication with management in regards to employee safety. Employees are not paid an appropriate living wage, they are expected to work demanding hours on their feet all the time without overtime, and they are expected to work extreme hours just to please the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and the CEO should be humane with their hard-working employees, and they should close the stores on major holidays in order to allow their employees to spend time with their families. If you take into consideration that your employees are human beings that have lives and families outside of work, then they will be happy and more productive. Happy employees that feel appreciated and respected work harder, and they are more productive. Management and the CEO should close the stores earlier(or not open them at all) on Sundays, because Sundays should be spent with family and not working. Employees are people with families and lives outside of work, and they are not robots. Pay your dedicated employees a living wage, and treat them like human beings!

Working during the holiday peak season will test you physically, mentally and emotionally

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsFun atmosphere
    Discount was good
    Recognized for good work
    Management tried to do their best

ConsCrazy hours
    Crazed holiday customers
    Long hours
    Rude customers - even though it comes with the territory

A horrible, soul crushing, life sucking company to work for

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDecent benefits for part-time employees ( vacation time, personal time, very basic health care package is available to purchase) You WILL learn the art of multitasking to the "nth" degree, whether you want to or not

ConsI could write a book- Let's see, they jam the importance of "guest service" down our throats each and every day, yet continue to cut employee hours to the point that there is NOBODY available to help customers. The store that I work at is extremely busy- every God-given morning there are people camped out front waiting for us to open, and upper management is aware of this. But instead of having a cashier or two scheduled to be there for opening, they will schedule only one to come in an hour after we open. So do you know what that means? That means the service desk associate gets to ring purchases, do returns, adjustments, layaways, internet orders, help customers find items, and answer the 12 phone lines that constantly ring off the hook. Then, when you finally do get a cashier, they will pull them to the entrance to "greet" the customers coming in the door, because we have to constantly worry about our GSAT (guest satisfaction) scores. So while people are waiting in line forever, they can look over and see an associate just standing there saying "hello" to people. They in turn get pissed off and get nasty with whoever is working the front end, and ask why that person is just standing there when the lines are so long. Then the idiots in upper management wonder why we get crappy survey scores! They can't seem to fathom that most customers would rather be able to make their purchases quickly than to have someone greet them at the door and make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
              Our registers and computers are often very slow, which just adds to the stress level. Half of what's on sale each week will not ring up correctly, and we are constantly having to check signage and our ads because of this. Why can't things be programmed properly, EVER?? Isn't that somebody's job, to make sure that the sales ring properly? And when you are up at the front end by yourself and there's no one available on the floor to check the signage for you, you have to run back and do it yourself, leaving your line of customers to do so. I have never seen this happen in other stores, at least not on a consistent, daily basis. Also, the air conditioning in our store is practically nonexistent. In the summer time, it gets so hot and uncomfortable and stuffy in there. We always have customers complain about it as well, and they will be dressed in tank tops and flip flops. Try being in long pants, socks and shoes, and a nasty red polo shirt, running around helping people like a chicken with its head cut off! But do you think that upper management will have the AC replaced?? Of course not, what do they care? They're sitting on their lazy butts in a nice peaceful air-conditioned office! They don't have to hear the customers complain about the heat, and they're not the ones getting light-headed, dizzy, and sweating their butts off!
              You will never enjoy a holiday, ANY holiday again, if you work here. It doesn't matter if it's Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or the Fourth of July. We always have one ridiculous ad or another out during any given holiday. The problem is, we often won't have many of the items in the ad in stock, which really angers people! Or, if we do have the item, we will only have a few of them, so we run out the first day of the ad. (also angering people) The customers in turn proceed to scream and yell at the service desk associate, because it is their fault after all, isn't it?? Then you will have the people that call on the phones nonstop,as if we're the Home Shopping Network, wanting someone in the store to do their shopping for them. The problem is, we are always so short-staffed that the people who call on the phones are often on hold for an eternity. Of course, that's IF the service desk person has time to even answer the phones at all! Then some of our managers even have the gall to ask why the phones aren't being answered in a timely manner. Um, hello, I'm alone up front with a line a mile long!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your stores run on a skeleton crew and then berate them when they get poor survey scores, quit making sale ads for things that won't be in stock, hire someone to answer phones at the busier stores, replace broken air-conditioning in stores that need it, give better raises to employees who get good yearly reviews, hire some form of security for stores in high crime areas

Toys R us is a fun face paced retail environment

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boynton Beach, FL

ProsWorking around video games, electronics, toys and games. It's a place we all grew up with and can associate with. In a way it's good to give back a little to the new generation and let your inner child out.

ConsYou need to have lots of patience. Kids will be kids so you constantly need to be on your feet. The only real con would be lack of hours during non-peak season (Holiday season). However during peak season, it can get very stressful and chaotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and straightforward with your employees.

Working at TRU is draining

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsThe excitement of the kids

ConsManagement is unsatifactory
    Not all information in changes and promotions is communicated effectively

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged in what is going on in the store
    Try to relate and communicate more with employees so we may better communicate with guests
    It is a toy store, so have lively personality so that the atmosphere of the work place isn't so draining

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!