Toys ''R'' Us

Updated January 31, 2015
2.4

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 41 reviews)

• Started in 2011 as a seasonal then got hired on as a part time back of house/ merchandiser (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much emphasis on selling credit cards and warranties makes things stressful (in 63 reviews)

• In the private brands area in particular, there is no such things as work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Awesome, although your mileage may vary.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a "pop-up" store, which meant things were small, close-knit, and lacked a lot of the bureaucracy and oversight you might find at other stores. We handled business and had a blast. I had very down to earth, and trusting managers, as well as very cool co-workers. The environment lent itself to more of a family atmosphere, and that made the job infinitely better.

Cons

Pop-up stores sometimes don't last, and such was the case with us. Other than that, there weren't any other cons, and it was easily the best job I've had, as far as retail and slave wages go.

Try to understand that ruling with an iron fist won't get you the results you need. Be close enough until you understand how people work, and then reap the benefits from a workforce that is comfortable in their own skin and willing do the work for you as you need.

Poor communication and very little training

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Managers were patient and helpful for the most part.
    Wasn't ever bored.
    Managers often provided snacks and food.

Cons

Practically no training. Poor scheduling. Only 10 hours a week when I first started but got more after a few weeks.

Need to train seasonal employees better on how to work the cash register and answer different types of customer questions. Less focus on selling credit card. Work schedule should be distributed more than 2 days in advance and employees shouldn't have to call the store to get their schedule.

Good place to start of and gain some experience.Team members

Current Employee - Team Member/Furniture, Bedding, and Baby Gear Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team members, supervisors, and managers are super layback and friendly. A good job to acquire as your first job. Lays down the basics for what any entry level job without any sort of degree will be like.

Cons

In my situation I received little to no training, hours are ridiculous, and you're constantly doing things that are no where on your job description. There is also little to no room for improvement in terms of gaining a higher position in the company.

Recognize hard work and make and effort to maintain workers happy, not overwork them like it usually tends to happen.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (more than a year)

Pros

no pros I can think of

Cons

disrespectful management, no oportunity for growth

it was a great experiance

Current Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time (less than a year)

Pros

working at babies r us is a very friendly environmental, you develop great people skills, and lots of fun here

Cons

the only cons workking at toys r us is that it can get a little hectic, and you will get tired

the management where i worked at was great and friendly

fun place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

You get to play with toys pretty much all day. In fact, you're required to. It's called 'demoing'.
    Unlike grocery stores such as Wal-Mart and Safeway, where people have to be there to get their weekly shopping, most people are shopping at Toys R Us for fun.
    The people you work with are usually friendly and management, supervisors and long-serving associates are pretty good at helping newbies learn the ropes.
    Working in a toy store genuinely is as fun as it sounds.

Cons

Hearing 'Elmo's Song' constantly repeated all day long.
    People messing up displays and shelves so that nothing's where it's supposed to be.
    Other associates can often be 'cliquey', which can make a person feel somewhat left out.
    Management can be lax sometimes.
    Having to try to force people to buy batteries and buyer protection plans for everything.
    Pay could stand to be better, but it's not terrible.
    Too many Zhu Zhu Pets.

Big box retailers like Target and Wal-Mart are undercutting us quite badly. I'm tired of hearing people say 'Well, this is great, but we can get it cheaper at Wal-Mart'. If they can charge discount prices for toys, so can we.

Hired as Cashier, later became a jack of all trades

Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

Pros

My co-workers for the most part were great. most guests could be decent while interacting on a one on one basis. coming in contact with many products in the more traditional toy, as well as the electronic and video game departments. learned and worked in almost every department of the store. some days working several departments at once or on one shift.

Cons

middle management could often be a lot of talk with absolutely no guidance or help. not enough help at key times of year. lack of communication from higher ups in the company that allowed employees at our particular store to be told by guests that "we heard this store is closing down soon", long before any of us heard any such thing. our store was falling apart in many regards, but they did close it and move to a different location, one with the new baby's r us combo stores.

be aware what your middle managers are doing and the rest of your staffs attitudes towards them.