Toys "R" Us (UK)

David Rurka

Fun job

Cashier (Current Employee)
Huntington, NY

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK)

ProsIt was fun helping everyone out, customers, children and all.

ConsManagement could use a little help, they are not running a tight ship

Needs updating!

Customer Assistant (Former Employee)
Altrincham, England (UK)

I worked at Toys "R" Us (UK) part-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaff discount generous, flexible working (in my store anyway), friendly staff even management, looks after employees in terms of shifts/ rota,

ConsNo opportunity to progress, a lot of responsibility/workload for minimum wage!, cheap skates, minimum amount of staff at all times because of low hours/wages budget, no order of hierarchy in store, staff that had been there for a long time didn't treat managers as they should so didn't really feel like could go to managers with problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate everything! Computers, staff and customer service! Get more staff, pay more! Actually do something about bad employees.

A struggle to progress and a constant fight for hours.

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK) full-time

ProsMy colleagues are always friendly apart from that not much else.

ConsHours are pretty much non existent and if you are lucky enough to get a few it's a huge hassle having to deal with customers constantly complaining about the complete lack of staff. After working very hard over Christmas Toys 'R' Us cut hours to breaking point and it's just not nice knowing you put in a lot of effort at a very busy period for no reward or at least a steady amount of hours afterwards. I often find that i can't make any arrangements in my social life because I regularly get called in at the last minute. The computer system really needs updating all the software is incredibly old and outdated. There are virtually no career opportunities and even if a position does become available employees may not be willing to go for it as they are over-worked trying to make up for the lack of staff. The only reason i see people going for a higher position in the company is a guaranteed full time amount of hours. You do not get paid for working the extra twenty minutes past closing time. There are also no benefits by way of extra pay for working public holidays including Christmas Eve/Boxing Day. There is no flexibility in holiday arrangements, they are dictated to you to suit the needs of your managers not your own.

Culture & Environment

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK) full-time

ProsNew office, can see the culture changing to keep up with the times, people are friendly and a creation of family culture. New CEO or MD awesome, a real people's person.

ConsReactive (but slow) rather than pro active due to nature of American business. Poor rates of pay. Long and inflexible hours with little reward.Limited opportunity to develop career.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more generous in compensation from stores to office. Be more supportive in people development and change the way senior directors go about the business. Times have changed and so should those at the top sooner rather than later if the business is to turn around.

Hard work with little reward and praise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Toys "R" Us (UK)

ProsFriendly staff, discount .Customer interaction.

ConsHighly political culture, not much positive feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to praise hard work and performance manage those who do not do a good job.

Alright overall

Product Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK) part-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a company they are alright, lovely people.

ConsThey arn't the same company i first started working for.

Being "Old school" sometimes doesn't work False Promises AVOID

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK) full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership at regional and higher levels is generally good, friendly and approachable.
Although minimum pay you have some real good staff shame you can't keep them
Pay for managers is dependent on experience but is good if you worked your contract only.

ConsWhere do i start. When you view the website you get a impression that Toys T Us is a very professional company with excellent career options including "fast track programs"
So you were fooled by this and decided to go for a interview ? Like myself haha
The interview i had was with a regional manager and a directer ( very easy ) here everything seemed genuine and i got a real sense that this was going to be a great company to work for, how wrong could i be.

-Working hours vary between stores and vary between a minimum of 45 but often this is 50 plus
(this does not include travel time to work )
This changes in October till January or if ever a visit is to happen this increases to easily 70-80 hours don't be surprised on the rota. ( by the way no holidays between October and January are allowed. )
Callouts every managers worst nightmare. ( no extra pay for your time which can sometimes exceed 3-4 hours waiting for a engineer to come and reset a alarm that has gone off )

-Progression is pretty much non existent so forget that fast track option you saw on the website the reality is most stores have had the same GSM for years, promotion is based on how many hours you are prepared to give up and trust me lots do i knew some managers that had been working for the company for over 4 years and they are still waiting despite performing very well in there job.

Working Conditions= Back in time i am sure the stores had that magic look now most stores are very dated around ( 60 - 70 percent ) technology is also back in the 80s if you have worked in other retail company's this will come as a shock at how basic and shocking it is.

NO STAFF= This is possibly due to the recession but with so many cut backs in staff as a manager pretty much everyday it is just you and a supervisor. with one member of staff!!!! Expectations are always going to be high in retail but to deliver this you need staff !!

Overall Avoid this company at all costs and look for a bigger more successful company where the job description actually lives up to the promise.

Advice to Senior Management1=Act on the above, look after your staff better and hire more. Maybe more will stay and turnover will surely decrease and will stop managers/staff looking for better options. You could be Great.
2= This is just a review based on my opinion but for all those who disagree please take a look at Toys R us Facebook page for the UK so so many complaints as a previous manager i am ashamed to say i worked for the company.
3= Undercover boss would be great for you give them a call

A Good team of people

ECommerce Manager (Former Employee)
Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Toys "R" Us (UK) full-time for more than a year

ProsSize
People/Colleagues

This was the most balanced job i have had to date. Resources to do things, if you can justify it, decent size of people to do the work but you don't get lost and can make a difference.

Consold fashioned culture
upward communication to board level
supplier management

Friendly CEO but not being a direct report communication was something that can down from above and wasn't open to two way communication. You may also suffer to get consistency and support from senior managers, who are personable but seem to respond to events and can cause uncertainty. Their approach to developing supplier relationships, at least where i worked, was highly problematic.

That said it was on balance a good company to work for.

It was ok

I have been working at Toys "R" Us (UK)

ProsDiscount on toys 10 % payed every two weeks. Clean nice staff. Managers were ok. Mostly some were very friendly.

ConsNot enough hours. Very busy seasons. Not enough staff. Not payer enough. Sometimes I needed to go to the bathroom and I couldn't because of no toilet paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff keep a more clean bathroom its disgusting. Accept sic so cu stomers wont complain. Make pay higher

A company that does not treat junior management well

Department Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Toys "R" Us (UK)

Pros-A big company
-Good products to work with
-'In it together' atmosphere
-Running a toy shop for kids never gets old.

Cons-No extra store management recruited at Christmas despite shop assistants tripled.
-Poor staff discount.
-Vastly excessive hours: 6 days a week 12 hour days from October to January.
-No real recognition on good department sales.
-Expects results to be the same whatever the resources when practically it isn't possible.
-No store security: spent a lot of time dealing with shop leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your store managers better. 8 managers working 40 hours a week is better than 4 managers working 80 hours a week. It may cost you a bit more, but their performance and efficiency will be miles better. Working the same people long is not efficient or effective.

Worked for Toys "R" Us (UK)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys "R" Us (UK) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Toys "R" Us (UK) CEO David Rurka. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Toys "R" Us (UK) employees.