Toys for Bob

4.4

Paul Reiche

Senior Game Designer

I have been working at Toys for Bob

Pros

Great creative atmosphere, designers are empowered with one of the best design tools I've ever used.

Cons

Mom and pop vibe. Studio is run by the old guard of game developers; As a result organization and planning and management issues can rear their ugly heads.

Great company!

Current Contractor - VFX Artist in Novato, CA
    Current Contractor - VFX Artist in Novato, CA

I have been working at Toys for Bob as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic team! Super talented and great to work with. They have an awesome product that inspires great work.

Cons

Hours get a little long during crunch but its manageable. I've definitely seen worse!

Toys for Bob Fallen by the Wayside since Activision

Former Employee - Modeler in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Modeler in Novato, CA

I worked at Toys for Bob full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are few pro's for working there now, other than simply for the money and work-experience. The culture is cliquish and closed, and no longer has the family working together feel that it once had. Now it is quite dog-eat-dog with decisions being made by management that is ill-suited to make them.

Cons

The atmosphere has been on a steady decline, even while the somewhat transitory success of Skylanders has kept the financially strong. The company had strong work/life balance while they were still independent, although career opportunities have always been minimal (the chance to move up here is fundamentally nil). Senior management makes many decisions based on cliques, rather than skill or appropriate design sense. Culture that used to be strong, is now pretty much dead, corporate desert. Very sad really

An experienced video game developer that knows how to make fun games!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Toys for Bob full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Toys for Bob is definitely very good at scheduling, being decisive, knowing their limitations, and setting realistic goals. Most video game companies are notorious for having long hours and months of crunch-time. The leaders at Toys for Bob all have families and children and realize that employees need to balance their work and personal life in order to be productive and successful. Toys for Bob also has a very relaxed, friendly, and casual work environment.

The one thing that separates Toys for Bob from other video game developers is that TFB has extremely robust and powerful design tools that allow the game designers to prototype and play-test ideas very quickly. The designers’ only limitation is their imagination and creativity. They aren’t hampered by inadequate tools, and they don’t have to rely on programmers to write code to implement a certain game mechanic. Whereas many video game developers take several months to prototype a certain idea, a designer at TFB can do it several days. This rapid prototyping allows TFB to quickly weed out bad ideas and iteratively improve good ones.

Cons

None really. I've been in this industry for over a decade, and this is one of the best video game developers I've worked for.

good company

Current Employee - Artist in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in Novato, CA

I have been working at Toys for Bob full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work environment and good workers.

Cons

I think about it.. I can't find the cons.