TraceSecurity

TraceSecurity Reviews in Baton Rouge, LA

2.9

Peter Stewart

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good fun environment to work in for up and coming information technology majors.

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at TraceSecurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always something to do. The job stays interesting with a multitude of task to complete on a day to day function. The compensation is ok and the 8 to 5 work shift is very nice too. Especially like having every weekend off. The PTO accrued is the most from any job I've seen for first year employment. The company also sponsors company wide events on a quarterly basis that keep things fun. The travel hasn't been a factor yet, although I must say for me, that's part of the appeal.

Cons

The only cons I can see are the path of training could be more directed and structured. Also, the starting pay is on the low, LOW end of the spectrum. Many in this field make almost double to start.

N/A

If it's so good why so many are leaving?

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at TraceSecurity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many others have mentioned the joyful environment that workers have in the company. It is actually a fun job that allows inexperienced professionals to take a step into the security field. Who does not want to break into a network and pose as a pest inspector and wander around? Those are the perks of being a pentester and a social engineer; perks that you find in any company that performs this type of engagements.

You also keep your hotel, miles and rental car points, which is also standard in the infosec field. So they are not really differentiators if you get the same in other security companies.

Being a small company the medical benefits are decent; you get your health insurance at a very very low price (if you are single). Although the work requires you to travel, it is not as bad and you can actually stay in the office more than 50% of the time.

Cons

Now the bad part. If you really are an experienced infosec professional, Tracesecurity is not your company. First, salaries are below the market. Analysts, even those with short experience, are just quitting to go into other security companies where salaries are higher. And the difference is not only a few points, we are talking about a 30% -50% factor (and double in a couple of cases). In fact analysts who have fled to competitors get a compensation that is too high compared to what you can get in Tracesecurity.

This is a wave, and at that pace no one will stay here for long.

You would say, well Tracesecurity is a small company and can’t have that luxury. Well, the analysts leaving are also going to small companies, and that proofs that the company is not doing something right. It just can’t keep its personnel.

Now the few ones that are staying (including me) are just waiting to get the call from other analysts who are recruiting. But be careful saying where you’re going.

Second, experience professionals were constantly overworked and their experience and judgment questioned. The result: all of them left.

The field is very hot right now, and unless you’re unemployed or don’t know about security, you better look for another company.

It's who you befriend what matters. Not your experience or what you do.

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very casual environment, and very friendly coworkers. Good health benefits. No much traveling as expected and announced.

Cons

Too much value given to employees that only purpose is to sell (I exclude sales department from this), including delivery managers and directors who only play facebook, but are supposed to manage security analysts.
    The delivery and service actually blocks analysts forward progress. Who you befriend determines salary increase. Employee value is determined by sales not by value to customers.

The organization values sales over everything else. Not much to say that others haven't said already

Loads of potential that will never be realized

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It should be noted that any positive review from someone claiming to be in a technical role for this company should have its authenticity strongly questioned. I could write for days about this place, but I will try to be brief. Like many places, Trace has its pros and cons. Unlike many other places, though, the cons FAR outweigh the pros.

- Good experience, fast…IF you don’t already have even the most basic security knowledge.
    - Casual environment
    - Training reimbursement (albeit with a “gotcha” clause if you leave within a year)
    - Airline, hotel and rental car points and status
    - Sightseeing
    - Other technical people

Cons

- Unrealistic and unsustainable work load and expectations. You will never stop working.
    - If you show any promise, you will be run into the ground.
    - Management has no security experience or insight, or any desire to acquire any such knowledge.
    - Attempts to make reparation for poor treatment of technical people equates to someone offering you a Skittle as an apology for stabbing you in the eye with a chainsaw.
    - Management’s unbelievably high emotional sensitivity makes it impossible to give any type of feedback without being attacked.
    - Some managers form “cliques” that afford them special privileges like severe, chronic, unpunished tardiness and the ability to sit in one office and joke around on Youtube for hours.
    - Good luck getting a decent salary out of them. Those are reserved for people that sell things.

In summary, my 3 years at Trace brought me to a level of depression and misery that I never thought possible. The people that I worked WITH were great people, great coworkers and great friends. The people that I worked FOR were also great people, but they were probably the worst supervisors and decision makers you can possibly imagine. Trace has/had the potential to be the greatest job on this planet, but until management stops making decisions with their emotions and swallows their pride long enough to look in the mirror, this place will continue to be a grinder for technical people.

This box isn't big enough to include all of the things that management needs to do to make this place tolerable.

You will survive but won't sell millions

Former Employee - Business Sales in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Business Sales in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say about the company. It is a small company, that had a very enjoyable environment.

I can say it was fun to work there and I made my share of money. I gained a lot of customers and I still keep close contact with many of them (disclaimer:I now sell them
    other type of security products).

Many former employees think that ts will go bankrupt but I disagree, the market is still growing and the tide will maintain the company afloat for the time being. So you can still make some money there.

Cons

In their beginnings the company was considered innovative. We were selling
    a software that allowed small companies to manage their vulnerabilities and report on those, but more importantly was the close contact and feedback that analysts or engineers provided. However,the market has moved very fast and the company lost its mojo.

As every organization, tracesecurity is made of people and processes. But for current management priorities and processes gears towards sales and sales. This can sound like a contradiction coming from a sales person, but you can only sell what someone else has built. As in any product if there is not substance your profits will be slim. In other words, you should really have a serious technical department if you want to sell technology based products. Such department does not exist in Tracesecurity.

The delivery & services management lacks expertise in the area. Many have complained
    about it. There are sales managers in sales (as in any company) and sales managers in delivery services. The latter should be experts in the area no another representative trying to up-sell. No one, including their analysts, take them seriously. A staples store manager has more expertise than the DMs and VPs of that area.

By the time I left the company continued to be small with a steady income but no prospects of growth. Don't believe their hype of millions of dollars in sales. There is no such thing.

If you want to work keep this in mind. You won't make big sales or keep big customer contacts. If you get a big account, the delivery deparment (remember that it is not technical just sales people acting as managers) will get future commissions of any upsale or renewal.

So you actually won't get close contact with customers. No incentive to offer a new product
    to the people you worked hard to attract . You only become a cold calling guy sweeping the call list.

For their misfortune, today tracesecurity software competes with many options in the market that provide the same functionality at not cost or as an free add on of other solutions. For example, AV companies and Firewalls managements suites provide information about vulnerabilities, compliance level, GRC, etc with little or no additional cost. How I know? I sell
    those products.

Professional services is a great source of income for security companies, but they dismantled what could have been a great source of income ... Current management pay little attention to what it should be the most important asset, that is the security skills of their technical department. Instead they decided to have managers with secretarial skills and pseudo lawyers as VPs to lead a technical department.

Technical people are very proud, competitive, very expensive and very often arrogant. I deal with them all the time, but I need them to meet my quota. I seriously doubt that experienced and serious professionals would want to work under a structure of people with zero technical background. It is not a surprise that the few that were competent fled the company.

That's why their analysts turnover is so high, and while sales people suffer from the incompetence of delivery and service management. They are just trying to meet their quota instead of getting expertise.

Management don't have expertise

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is an enjoyable environment. Other analysts make your work fun. The field is very interesting and you can learn fast if you commit to the experience. Though it gets some times repetitive, you can still get ahead.

Cons

Delivery Managers are just sales people. No experience in the field, fool ideas and you can't expect any guidance from them.

I happen to meet some experienced guys who left the company. There are better opportunities out there that people have taken.

Heaven on earth ?

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The good-fellowship among the analysts make the work environment palatable, and there are not major frictions. That changes with those higher in senior management (vice-presidents), but fortunately analysts don't deal with them in a daily basis.

There is not dress code. The environment is very casual.

If you are local to the city (Baton Rouge) the company is a good start, but it is not worth moving from another state given the low expenses they cover and salaries there.

Cons

I am not too inclined to write reviews of any kind, less to give my comments about a company I worked for some years. What compelled me to write about was the phony comments that grade the company as a “best” place to work. For the casual reader this would appear as heaven on earth.

The organization defines itself as a security company with expertise in compliance and information security. Though it is not a terrible company by any means, Tracesecurity does not promote professional excellence or security expertise. The list of aspects that make security analysts there unhappy is quite long, but it can be summarized in one aspect indicated by others in this web site: lack of respect for the information security professional.

To explain better, the pitch in the company is sales and sales. I am not saying here that sales are not important. It is the lifeblood of any company, but Tracesecurity does not only have one sales department but two. What in any winning company a department that provides support and technical expertise is leaded by managers with experience in the field, in Tracesecurity the support department has become another sales department with sales managers called “Delivery Managers”. These managers have zero experience in the security field.

The infosec analysts are divided in teams whose managers' only purpose is to renew contracts, nothing else. That is the only metric that matters. There is only one security services manager whose job is more of a senior analyst role with little input on other aspects. Each team has two managers that lack any information security experience. Worse the higher you go in the chain command the less expertise you find. The vps lack any foundation in the field, and both of them arrogantly dismissed those who actually had any (The company suffered a high rotation rate partly because of this).

It is a joke to read about the “best job ever” or the salaries ranges there. See by yourself and apply to confirm if you can get the numbers that one reviewer made. If you go there be aware that your managers/vps know nothing about IT less information security, and that disrespects the effort that takes mastering this field. Don't expect any expertise or guidance from management. They can't offer it.

It is common business sense to diversify the product portfolio as the company is trying to do. My only comment to management is that they should stop making phony reviews. There were not analysts that left because of traveling, or because they got married. Far from that, a common comment among analysts who have left is that they miss traveling and several of them have gone back to consulting jobs that require travel.

An attentive reader will realize that no other companies get 5 stars in this interesting web site.

If you don't mind travel, this was the best job ever!

I worked at TraceSecurity

Pros

I think the best way to review TraceSecurity will be to give my top reasons why I liked TraceSecurity and then some top cons about TraceSecurity.
    Reason 1:
    When I started with TraceSecurity I thought I already had a decent background in network security. After the first week there I realized just how little I knew. Every day I seemed to learn something new and TraceSecurity paid for me to go through several training courses and certifications.
    Reason 2: The pay. When I started I was making around $55K per year. When I left after a little over two years I was making $75K plus bonuses. There are three levels of analysts and each time you move up to the next level, you move to a new pay grade. It really comes down to how much effort you put in.
    Reason 3: Everyone who works there. When I first started there was a few people that seemed to complain about everything. I almost quit because I thought the job must be awful. Over time those people left and I it turned out the rest of the people were great to work with and the job was fantastic. Management spends a lot of time trying to come up with fun events for the employees which take place every few months. What was most surprising to me is that everyone including the founders of the company make themselves available to help you with whatever you need. The CEO had an open door policy where anyone could come in and talk about whatever was on their mind. I felt like my opinion mattered. The are so many other analysts there that are so smart that I always knew if I was having any kind of technical problem, someone in the group would have expertise regarding that issue. Even now that I have left, I still reach out to them from time to time when I run into a problem.
    Reason 4: Every job was unique. I was continually working on new projects that allowed me to experience so many different networks, operating systems, applications, etc. Before I worked at TraceSecurity I worked for a company where I was part of a team that protected our company network. When I was at TraceSecurity I was involved in testing hundreds of different company networks. The amount of experienced gained from this was incredible.

Cons

While I enjoyed the job at TraceSecurity, like every job there are always things that could have been better. Here are my top three cons.

Con 1: Travel. When I first started at TraceSecurity they warned me that there would be about 50% travel. At the time I was single and it sounded like fun. Over the years I met someone and suddenly traveling 50% of the time became hard to handle. They did work with me to try to make the travel schedule bearable but ultimately I just didn't want to be on the road any more and this ewas the reason I ended up taking another job.
    Con 2: Report writing. Personally I did not have an issue with report writing but I did see several of the analysts struggle with this one. Everyone likes to do the hacking side of the job but for each engagement you then have to write a report. For some this just became an impossible task. If you are not capable of writing, you will fail at this job.
    Con 3: Not a 9 to 5 job. Again, this wasn't an issue for me but I did see others who struggled with this one. There are busy times and there are not quite as busy times. There are never slow times. While some weeks you will work 40 hours, there will be others where you will come in early or stay late to complete what is assigned to you. That said, I never ended up having to work weekends.

Continue to do what you are doing. The changes I saw over the past few years were all positive and I personally appreciated everything you did for me. I totally expect that someday I will come back to TraceSecurity! (In a non-travel position of course.)

A good start if you don't have experience

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at TraceSecurity

Pros

Information security is a promising field with above average salaries. At the same time partitioners are expected to have a high technical level. This makes this company a good entry point where non-experience personnel can gain experience and boost their security knowledge. So if you are looking for a company to learn the basics of information security, this is the one. But do not stay long if you want to have a more advanced level or want to advance in your career.

Cons

This is not a great company but the field in which operates can make it an interesting place for people with no information security experience. Unfortunately, management is this company lack the competence to guide it in this competitive field (Information Security). Just check information related management expertise in their web site and you won't find any expertise (with one exception) related with IT management or Information Security. That goes to all levels in this company: Managers who only make sells, directors with totally unrelated skills and so on.

Management shows little respect, if any, for the time that analysts have to spend learning, working and getting proficiency. And to make things worse, you won't advance if your expertise requires you to have some technical proficiency.