Tractenberg & Co. Reviews

Joel Tractenberg

1. I started about 3 months ago

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Tractenberg & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started about 3 months ago and am really surprised by how falsely this represents the company. I have had nothing but a positive experience so far. It's definitely different than I expected and I am still learning but everyone has been really helpful to me. Especially the associates. My VP is constantly checking on us to give ideas and direction. I came from another agency and pitched constantly in begging mode. The accounts that I work on are household names and are so top tier that I feel like I can actually work with the media instead of selling them day in and day out. In my last job, I wouldn't have dreamed of getting the hits I get. I also have learned so much in such a short time and get really positive feedback from my VP. It is hard work but I like it a lot. I also feel like I have huge potential to take a step up pretty quickly. I wanted to post this because if I had taken all this to heart, I wouldn't have taken the job which would have been a shame.

Cons

The pace is really fast and you have to multitask at all times but does make the day go so fast. I am still getting organized.

Assistant

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Tractenberg & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees wear nice shoes. The dirty walls are painted fun colors. Every job after will seem amazing because you will be paid decently and not abused.

Cons

I am still shocked and traumatized by the things I saw and heard during my time at this company. Stay away! I wish I had someone to warn me.

Advice to Management

Close your doors and think about your impact on the world.

Good people, bad management

I worked at Tractenberg & Co. full-time

Pros

I worked with some very kind and smart ladies. Cool accounts.

Cons

The place is stuck in the past. Management refuses to grow with the times.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, make positive changes.

This place is a circus.

Pros

Free beauty products. I have enough lotions and creams to last me through 2018 Top tier beauty clients

Cons

The worst company culture I've ever experienced. T&C's day to day is run by about 6 VPs who have never worked anywhere else and it shows in their lack of respect to just about anyone who isn't named Jacquie Tractenberg. Senior management treats the rest of the staff like it's rush time for a demented sorority from a bad Lifetime movie, and if you dare speak up about how you're being treated or about your workload there's hell to pay. There is absolutely no team structure - it's every woman for themselves at all times, with no support. They can't hire outside talent because they don't know how to work with people who were trained at REAL firms - they prefer girls who started as assistants because they don't know any better. The turnover rate is absurd. The office is super cramped with products stuffed everywhere and desks in front of the fire exits. The computers are ancient. There is no HR or IT. Everyone looks miserable and there are girls crying all over the office at any given time. They throw money and fake promotions at girls to keep them from leaving - at no other firm would a PR pro with only 2 years of experience be making over $60k, and at Tractenberg there are at least 3-4 of them, ensuring that they can't leave and make a comparable salary somewhere else. Pulling 13 hour days is the norm. They have no idea how to manage client expectations. I met multiple directors who had no idea how to write a formal press release.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside HR consultant ASAP.

AE

Pros

Some of the best in the Beauty Industry. Work with well-known brands. Work directly with upper management and editors. Go to some really great events and learn hands on about the PR industry.

Cons

Well- for a PR/Comm. firm, they lack communication. If you want to lose weight, work here. There are no full teams here. Some teams have 5 members other have 3 working on 7 + brands. Assistants are actual slaves and don't have time to breath. I think I can count on one hand how many times Ive eaten lunch there. And I have been here for over 3 months. This company takes on more clients than they can handle and refuse to hire additional staff. So E V E R Y O N E is over worked. This company has potential. I have had amazing moments and met some great people here. It's sad to say it but all of the positive feedback on here is upper management. It really upset me one day when I heard upper management say "if you can't handle it here, then PR isn't for you" How dare they say that my career choice isn't "for me" because their work environment makes working there impossible. HUGE slap in the face. This agency is a sweatshop. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Build actual teams. Be realistic with clients. Make your employees do good work for you because they WANT to not because they HAVE to.

The worst experience of my life

Pros

Free beauty products and other assistants to cry with

Cons

Where to start. Its clear from the reviews here that the negative ones are real, and the positive ones are written by senior management who are worried now that people really know what goes on in this company!!! 1. The worst work culture in the world. My friends who work in PR don't believe how bad it is. 2. Mean senior staff. 3. Unattainable expectations. 4. Constant backstabbing. I have no idea how this company still has clients.

Advice to Management

Try being nice once in a while.

Terrible work ethic. Assistants are full of attitude even though they do tasks a high school graduate could do

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Free makeup all the time

Cons

Turn-over rate is terrible. I had been there for 4 months and I had been working there longer than most of the assistance. Also, I did not get paid as an intern.

9. Intern- just okay

Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY

Pros

intern lunch meetings were informative, fun, and catered. Learned about what PR professionals do day-to-day. Worked with the vice-president during these meetings so learned about all roles.

Cons

interns never had enough to do and would sometimes just sit in the back room. interns felt like they were constantly nagging stressed out entry-level employers by asking "what can I do now?" Unpaid

Advice to Management

Don't let so many interns work over the summer when clearly there isn't enough to do.

Unprofessional and unorganized

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tractenberg & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Let me see, close to Union Square, T talks were interesting. Some girls were very welcoming. Pleasant holiday parties. Most pros had nothing to do with the company itself.

Cons

Where to even start.....I felt that the girls on my floor were constantly talking behind my back. I was hardly trained properly then asked by a VP what I actually do there. Which is not only rude but why would I even try if you have no positive feedback whatsoever. You make no work connections at all and you are pretty much a glorified receptionist/intern. It was one of the worst experiences I've had in fashion. I would tell people to steer clear of this place.

Advice to Management

Properly training your employees would help with the high turnover rate. DO NOT talk down to your employees! I'm pretty sure doing that would make the girls enjoy there job more.

I WOULD'T WORK HERE IF I DID GET PAID MORE $

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I worked at Tractenberg & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some great friends.

Cons

Running errands ALL-day-long and then they expect you to have time to do your work? It started to actually be funny. Not to mention the being a receptionist part as well. We had to pretend to be happy here - no one was happy. I dreaded going into work and being 3 minutes late - you would get yelled at (getting paid about minimum wage) Not really sure how Tractenberg is even in business.

Advice to Management

LIARS & RUDE.

Tractenberg & Co. Response

Nov 21, 2014 – Vice President

We are sorry that your work experience here was negative. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and will certainly take it into account when shaping policies. It is an ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed