Tractor Supply

www.tractorsupply.com
Employer Engaged

Could have been better, could have been worse.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They really were focused on development and training. This may be because of high management turn over, but they expect the best and provide many tools. They were also focused on continuous improvement in their TVS programs. Merchandising was very specific, they knew what they wanted to see and were disappointed if it wasn't exactly like the rest of the stores around, but just a little different to show that will, want and desire to succeed.

Cons

They lacked a realistic approach to time budgeting. The Daily Planner is a useful tool, but assisting customers is more important than tasks, and the management failed to recognize the amount of time it takes to be successful. They also placed too much emphasis on phone call surveys, judging the few customers interested in calling as a viable representation of the customer base in the store.

Balance may be a Value, but it was only given lip service in the District I was in. I was expected to work every hour until the store was exactly like the District Manager wanted it, and the DM always found two pages' worth of non-essential items to inflate the work day.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a great work environment with well knowledged people.

Cons

Very large company can sometimes make it hard to be recognized for achievements.

Keep up the good work.

It was great but other time overwhelming

Former Employee - Team Member in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Richmond, TX

I worked at Tractor Supply part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great pay, great hours, amazing environment, awesome coworkers

Cons

One manager takes out personal problems on you

You need more cashiers..

Good company to work for, very demanding job.

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time

Pros

Good benefit package, like to promote from within, company growing fast, good overall company

Cons

very demanding physically and of your time

When opening a store have a full management team in place for the best possible success. Not so demanding of managers time, so that they may enjoy a personal/family life.

Great customers

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy taking care of the customers. They come in every week. You get to know their pets also.

Cons

There is too much work to get completed each day. There is a battle to get everything done that is required. They continue to cut payroll and expect every store to run the same. It is a battle to terminate an employee that needs to go.

Slow down on the repeated changes on the planograms. Take out our busy work. The company has changed in my past 10 years and isn't fun anymore. It is so stressful. We feel like we have to work more than is required to get everything done. This creates a bad "balance'.

Great customers, great values and poor execution

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The customers and product line were great. I've been in retail management 25 years and the customers at TSC were the best. The values were very important when I started there in 2006 but have been shoved to the side with new senior management and explosive growth. A great investment for the short term while they are still expanding.

Cons

Loss of culture and values. I was a store manager of 4 locations over a 6 1/2 year period and watched the company go from a customer/team first approach to an "execute or be executed " regardless of whether or not it made sense. The turnover was and is astronomical. There are stores that go months without management and I feel bad for the teams when I am in buying dog food. The company could be so much better just by getting back to the basics.

Focus more on turnover and the causes for it. Visit your regions unannounced and unescorted so you get the real picture. You have and are losing talented management that you have invested time and money in and the stores and customers are suffering because of it.

Same thing day in day out!

I have been working at Tractor Supply

Pros

The best part is if your fortunate enough to have a team like mine, your like family.

Cons

Same thing week in week out, scramble once every two weeks when the DM is getting ready to visit, sweep dirt under rugs and put a smile on your face but be ready when your plan o grams aren't set correctly or your clearance markdowns aren't on yellow enough paper, your going to get read the riot act and they leave encouraging you to "get more sales" but please do this while we cut 10 percent out of your payroll budget during the busiest times of year. Just hire more part timers they say, it will be fine they say. The list goes on, don't plan any family vacations, they have to be approved
    first especially around the holidays and absolutely everyone works the day after thanks giving....Believe me, we don't get THAT busy! Tractor Supply is truly the WALMART
    Of farm supply stores and their employees are treated exactly like walmart employees. At the end of the day, you are just a number and you are replacable.

Step out of your air conditioned offices and get involved with what's "actually "going on in your stores and teams don't rely on what your manager or DM is telling you. Strengthen your mangement training programs, most store managers rely to heavily on their ASMs and are "Delagating " too much. And find the right fit, just because your recruiting someone from a competitor doesn't mean it's the right fit for the team. The team is what truly makes it all work, you need to appreciate what team members sacrifice everyday in order to operate your stores. They work when there sick, they miss their kids games and important things in their lives. Show them that they are appreciated. Most of us feel like we're numbers.

TSC Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Culpeper, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Culpeper, VA

I have been working at Tractor Supply part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Variety of products to learn about and sell, type of customers, hard working atmosphere, being part of a large organization.

Cons

Low pay, poor management, lack of organization, under appreciated employees.

Overall ok experience good benefits and, ok pay

Former Employee - Team Member in Pendleton, IN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Pendleton, IN

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

missions and values are great. I love operating equipment forklifts ect.

Cons

supervisors do not operate by missions and values . a lot of double standards , overworked for the pay. No two way communication between leadership and tms

pay more for the tms .listen when the tm's talk

A constant Roller Coaster Ride but Very solid company

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The customers are Great and the Team members are Great. Good pay and Benefits as well.

Cons

Crazy long hours. Payroll is cut to the point that you are losing customers.

In order to maintain the standards of the store and take care of the customers properly you have to STOP CUTTING PAYROLL!!! Most times you are lucky if you have a cashier and one other team member in the store and when you have to start lunch breaks it leaves you by yourself and a cashier. With filling propane, doing load outs, processing special orders, taking phone calls, etc -- I have watched all to often people walk out due to the lack of service. The team members love TSC and the customers but we are not properly given the labor to offer Great Customer Service. Also please review the faster freight process - if you had an honest evaluation from the stores I guarantee you that 80% or more of the stores would tell you that it does not work and having to be that at 5am is not productive. Let stores decide if they want to process truck at close instead. Every team member I ever spoke to would rather run freight at night. Also get rid of the egg timers they are an insult to people. I have been with tractor for a long time and we have always stood by the Mission and Values but if we truly value balance then allow the store manager to schedule properly. We have so many SDI's that happen all the time now that it is near impossible to keep up. We need better exit strategy with clearance non go forward merch. Other than that it is a Great Company and I found that team members really love their job and customers love the store - but I am seeing this slowly slip away as we are cutting to the minimum and customers are seeing it as well.