Tractor Supply

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015

Tractor Supply CEO Greg Sandfort
Greg Sandfort

Pros
  • The customers are great and actually being able to talk to your customer is even better (in 19 reviews)

• Decent benefits, vacation for full time team members, employee discount (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Many lies were told to myself and team members of the store I managed (in 16 reviews)

• Both district managers that I worked with had no problem lying in order to achieve their own agenda (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Smoke and mirrors and terribly low pay.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Saint Marys, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Saint Marys, PA

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There wasn't much good to working here. If I were to come up with anything at all it would be the measly store discount of 15%. I was hired as team leader which is basically a glorified cashier awarded a key to the store and gets to open and close the store and work the hours the assistant and manager don't want to work. I have a college degree in management. God bless America.

Cons

I was the only person with a college education in management at the store and was paid terribly and treated even worse. The store was completely understaffed. The pay was an absolute joke. The hours sucked terribly. Rumors and Gossip were gospel. Kissing butt got you further than good old fashioned hard work. Tractor Supply considers full time status to be anything over 30 hours which is another joke. If you aren't an assistant manager or a manager, you can barely survive financially working here. They try to sell you on a future comfortable financial status and a system of values that they have posted on the wall but never follow. They post up their "LEGENDARY" values, so they can hide behind them and manipulate them selves out of any wrong situation and come out on top. Stay away from this place unless you absolutely positively have no other options.

How about you hire people with a college education and put them in the positions that a college education would benefit your company. How about you actually pay and actually offer 40 hour weeks to full time staff members. Although you are brilliant when it comes to profit, because your current system increases the wealth of the top 5 percent and stake holders in your company every year by paying the people that make it possible dirt. So I commend you on your fulfillment of the American Dream.

Terrible

I have been working at Tractor Supply

Pros

Nothing at all. Employee discount wasn't even good either.

Cons

Everything. As a team member I was treated poorly and the scheduling was terrible. Definitely a terrible experience. Management was very poor. Don't recommend this job.

Get it together. Very poor.

High stress levels for working hard, having fun and making money.

Former Employee - Management in Dodge City, KS
    Former Employee - Management in Dodge City, KS

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were the best reason to work there. Normally fun environment and customers are excited to see new stores.

Cons

Labor budget cuts with little notice to adjust scheduling. Expected to do more with less people. Often operated numerous store with 2 people opening and then 2 people closing. Sales plan was developed by someone in office 2000 miles away. Management team expected to do most of duties while answering phones, unloading trucks, loading customer purchases with little OT allowed. District managers can have negative impact when visiting and making corrections they feel are best rather than coaching new managers why changes are needed. Managers don't have experience doing scheduling and aren't trained before getting thrust into store openings on a system they can't navigate around or even open.

Check the viability of morel and ethics you supposedly live by. Don't spend millions starting up store and getting community excited and then the next week cut labor so expenses seem in line for investors.
    The extra money most stores make at Grand opening should be banked for use when times are slow and sales down.
    Management needs better training to do business functions more effectively. More time needed to really be sure new managers are confident at what they are expected to do and say.

Frustrating for Lower-Tier Employees

Current Employee - Store Team Lead in Patterson, NY
    Current Employee - Store Team Lead in Patterson, NY

I have been working at Tractor Supply part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging work can be rewarding, especially when sharing a bond with coworkers. Customers are often loyal, understanding, and cooperative. Store management is often lenient with expectations if good strong effort is shown.

Cons

Hourly part-time members are often taken advantage of, with small pay, yearly reviews/raises, very little recognition for hard work, rewarding poor/slow work with more hours, and sometimes disrespect from store management. Incompentence in both part-time and full-time members/managers drastically impacts the workload of all other employees, with no adjustment in terms of compensation, hours given, or recognition by District Manager level or higher.

While my Store Manager does well with paying attention to the comments and concerns of team members, little is done in the way of improving conditions. Compensation is poor and inconsistent with job performance. Little room for advancement, and reviews are scarce.
    Most importantly, the management needs to have more realistic expectations for part-time team members. With little experience and little training, combined with meager compensation per job expectations, team members almost universally feel slighted and unwilling to go above and beyond. This leaves upwardly-mobile team members left picking up a lot of slack, while not being rewarded in any way in parallel.

My experience has been very good.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Midland, TX

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love all the good customers and getting to know them.

Cons

Payroll. Management is always cutting payroll. Hard to have good customer service when they cut payroll.

Don't focus on sales as much. Get back to the mission and values of good customer service.

Does not live up to their mission and values

Current Employee - Team Member in Putnam, CT
    Current Employee - Team Member in Putnam, CT

I have been working at Tractor Supply

Pros

The customers and the co-workers within the store walls are by far the most down to earth and best people to interact with.

Cons

Tractor Supply likes to say they promote within; however, I have not seen much of this. There are two employees in the Putnam, CT store that go above and beyond expectations and it gets them no where. I think that there are times that the DMs keep certain people in their roles to keep the manager in line instead of promoting on merit. It doesn't seem like they care about the work-life balance and keeping to their word.

Do what you say. If multiple people complain about an individual's work performance; do something about it. We work in an "at will" company. Let's get rid of the dead weight and hire people that WANT to work hard, have fun and make money. Tractor gives TOO many chances and makes it difficult to do this.

Ethics is talked about, but the mission is only to exploit the back yard animal owners, and lie to employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training at the home office was excellent. The entire team would receive sales bonuses.

Cons

Both district managers that I worked with had no problem lying in order to achieve their own agenda. Only the favorite managers were treated with respect. Managers had little say in who could be promoted and DM would not take responsibility for poor achievers that they made one take on for assistant managers. Many lies were told to myself and team members of the store I managed. Promises made were not kept. Very little recognition given to team for how hard they worked for low pay. Managers that DM favored were sanctioned for much unethical deeds.

While talking Mission and Values is good there should be some sort of accountability in the field. My first trip to Nashville I had to witness a DM using the f word towards a manager I had just done training with. The district managers bury much unethical and even illegal behavior on the behalf of some managers. The company is losing many of the people who actually life the lifestyle to which you cater, while increasing the numbers of people who openly fear or do not like animals or the lifestyle. I had witnessed much mocking of the customers to which you all owe your income . After working with the company three years and resigning, there was no inquiry made from home office or upper management as to why... you are losing good people and don't know or care why and this will help you lose business and honest workers.

It is a good opportunity to work for this company to learn about what this company can offer you.

Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler Operate in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler Operate in Macon, GA

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job that is good to work with your co-worker and it a learn experience to me.

Cons

To push you out of your comfort zone, this company push you to you ability in other areas that you would do as a person when they know you can do other job in the facility,they give you that chance to do other job.

Solid Company

I have been working at Tractor Supply

Pros

Great bonus potential, Balance, Great Customers

Cons

Salary is not competitive with other retailers

Winterville NC is best now!

Current Employee - Cashier in Winterville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Winterville, NC

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New management that are professional, caring and excel to satisfy the customers and are much better to work for then previous one.

Cons

A different schedule each week..but I don't mind it's retail.

Keep doing what your doing, our store is really growing for the best now.