Tradelogic

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
2.0

Ellis Winstanley

Could be successful if given the tools or freedom

Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- I liked the people that I worked with, both upper management as well as employees.
    - Nice view of the lake.
    -The area manager Kirstin is an outstanding guy, who was a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I will start by saying everyone, including the owners have strong moral values. They are good people. That being said, the owners are overwhelmed with the multiple businesses and projects that they have going. The owner decided he wanted to be the Director of Operations. He is trying to run the daily operations of 8 restaurants and 3 other businesses at the same time. He would never listen to the general manager who was there every day. No matter what great suggestions were brought to him that could possibly take the restaurant to another level, the answer was always, "No. In my 12 years I have found that won't work." The General Manager title seemed a little far fetched, when no one in that position was ever allowed to make decisions for the restaurant. Permission had to be granted to buy ink for the office computer or air fresheners for the bathroom.

My biggest complaint with the entire experience is TBS (tradelogic business solutions). This is one of the owner's companies and it is a software development company. They absolutely refuse to use any other software that could improve or make running a restaurant easier or more efficient. Their software for schedule making looks like something from 1992. To schedule that restaurant from scratch (75 employee) it would take about 45 minutes on hotschedules. Using their software it would take 4-6 hours, depending on how many times it crashed. There were constant glitches that would take weeks to get fixed. If someone wanted to swap a shift or request it off everything had to be done by paper. It was a constant struggle to use that software. It would be like trying to get on the internet and do research with a dial up modem. It caused me to spend countless hours buried in a computer instead of being on the floor trying to run a restaurant.

With 8 restaurants and 2 guys doing maintenance it is like pulling teeth to get anything fixed. There are serious structural and other issues that have been sitting as a maintenance ticket since early 2013.

I would adequately have our restaurant staffed and we would have an adequate amount of product. 3 times a week we would get a call from another restaurant begging for product or asking for us to send our employees over because they were so short staffed. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours is a great concept until it is please staff my restaurant every week. It was out of control.

Salary. When I was asked to be the general manager I was told about this great bonus structure that would make up for the salary being less than deserved. After 5 months I never received any information about it nor a cent. Same with my health insurance. I asked over and over again for information so I could get enrolled. Never received it. If you decide to work for this company be prepared to just say yes sir and have no opinion of your own. Also get EVERYTHING IN WRITING when it comes to salary.

The previous 2 or 3 GM's and KM's left after about 3 months as well. The turnover is crazy. It is a constant cycle.

Don't hire someone as a General Manager of a restaurant and then micromanage them. Listen to what they have to say. As crazy as it sounds they might have a different perspective that could be beneficial, you know since they are in the building 55-60 hours a week. STOP BUYING FAILING RESTAURANTS AND FOCUS ON THE FEW GOOD ONES YOU HAVE.

They sit on a throne of lies!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved my staff. Most of them worked very hard and did little complaining about how slow it was...all the time.

Cons

-No training manuals in place (for any position) at the North location. I was hired in hopes to help with that but was told I'd have to do it off the clock. Um, no?
    -Nepotism
    -Sexism
    -People changing policies and standards all the time
    -Micro managing the management. This wasn't my first rodeo. If they had actually listened to what their managers were telling them, things would have continued to go uphill rather than plateauing then plummeting.
    -My paychecks were rarely correct. Never got paid for the overtime I worked.
    -Either too much staff on at one time or not nearly enough. Everyone gets screwed.
    -Closing the 30,000 sq ft at 2 in the morning by yourself. Real safe.
    -Excuse me, but I've never worked as a manager at a restaurant and not gotten at least one free meal a shift? Seems like a weird thing to complain about, but seriously!

Sell your assets before you go down with them. It's gonna happen.

I valued their logic and was optimistic to all ideas entirely, and pushed wholeheartedly until I felt like my self worth was more valuable.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Tradelogic

Pros

Upper management is on point with their ideas and how they put into words. With their beliefs.. It should work and everyone should be optimistic. It fuels you to continue to be a hard working individual because you believe in these guys and you want to back them.

Cons

The real gritty part would be running an establishment given unrealistic boundaries and limitations with what you're working with. I didn't have the necessary tools to drive us where we needed to be, wanted to be, could have been. More focus. More care. More trust. Most importantly, spend money and make more money. The restaurant/s you bought failed in the first place was because of lack of care and attention. All you have to do is give them that.

In addition, put yourself in a committed role in one of your establishments at a time and learn from them to make you a better leader and you will be able to push your company from 2.5 stars to 5. A leader is the first to jump into battle and show his team how to do it.

There are assets within your company that belittle themselves and hold off on what they can accomplish based on their pay. It's discouraging to them and the settle. It's honesty.

I believe in you and I hope you make a strong come back.

Although the company strives on throwback restaurants there is no way to defeat the future. It's inevitable and you have to learn to grow with the economy and what guests want. You have to innovate, keep up, and be unique. Spruce your restaurants up a bit and be proud of them whether you have to spend money. It's all worth it in the end. Take a breath, look, learn, and appreciate all of your restaurants for what they are and what they can be as diverse as they are. Lastly, be the face of a good company because it's what's deserved.

One of the most stressful work environments of my life.

Former Employee - Various in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Various in Austin, TX

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zero. There is nothing good about this company.

Cons

Where to begin? I worked in a few different hats for the company and overall felt used, underappreciated, stressed, underpaid and basically unhappy. I've delt with large corporations so I understand how they deal with order and communication. You wont find this here. This company tends to have an ongoing identity crisis, and they're money hungry so they're trying to build an empire but spreading themselves too thin. The people that try to help the "vision" end up getting taken advantage of. I worked there trying to move up, as I do at any place, to a position that I'm making a decent living and happy. I moved up into the worse 6 months of my life, where the rules changed on a daily basis and where upper management clucked like hens tearing apart everything I did.
    As for their restaurants, they don't have a standard when it comes to points of service, they're too money hungry (again) to commit time to develop quality training, they over work their managers and employees to the point where they often walk out, the turnover is worse then any place I've ever seen.
    I personally had a very big issue with getting my final paychecks, for over a month I tried getting my checks, calling and emailing, even showing up to their accounting department to no gratification. Finally I get my last paycheck to which was supposed to be well over half a grand for my hard work. But alas, it'd been deducted to less then a hundred dollars under the false accusation that I destroyed equipment. I never did such a thing and was horrified they'd go to that extreme for me quitting.

Take care of your employees. Work on the small details, it's what holds up the overall picture you're trying to create.

A family of Egomaniacs

Former Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros working for any of the companies. The entire operation is a nightmare.

Cons

So instead of the owners reading all the honest bad reviews and doing something proactive within their business, they get on here and write three fake 5 star reviews. Get used to lying, it's all they do.
    I know this precise language as they used to sell this BS at employee meetings. What kind of egomaniac writes a review of his own company stating "the owners are extremely intelligent" what laughable buffoonery.
    This place is the armpit of all the Austin companies. I advise you to stay away both as an employee and a customer.

Go back to Dallas.

Best work atmosphere and a lot to offer!

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tradelogic as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I've never had a job that was so laid back and enjoyable. I'm constantly given new tasks to improve our software that are challenging and entertaining. Biggest pro of all is the flexible work schedule for software developers. Once I got a key I could pretty much come and go as I pleased.

Best part of all was within the first two weeks my code was actually being used in the releases. I know there are lot of companies that only give interns basic grunt work that never sees the light of day. But at Tradelogic I'm given critical tasks that get released weekly.

The team dynamic here is also the best I've ever been apart of. The developers get a long really well and we get to joke around a lot while working. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

I also have learned more in the past several months than I have in the years that I've been programming and attending college. There usually isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new or get something extremely challenging and fun to work on/fix.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of parking because of where it is situated in west campus. But it's only $5 a day to park on the street so it's not a big deal.

You have to walk a few blocks to get to food places on the drag because there isn't parking near them. But it's probably good to get some exercise after eating :P

A small company that really takes care of you if you work hard

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tradelogic as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A very friendly, laid back attitude.

The owners are extremely intelligent, driven people that will have no problem helping you one-on-one as long as you put in the hard work.

They take care of their software engineers.

Location of the office is perfect, being right in West Campus.

Cons

It's really hard for me to think of a con. I've worked here for a couple months now, and really love my job. They've done nothing but take care of me and have really put me under their wing to mentor me into becoming a great software engineer.

I've really enjoyed being a part of the team

Current Employee - Restaurant Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tradelogic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The business is dynamic. The company has interests in a bunch of industries so there are always new experiences to be had. Its a good place for entrepreneurial people who really want to be a part of something.

Cons

It is intense and the systems aren't totally developed yet (the company is still young and is always trying to steamline things with software so systems change a lot)

Keep hiring good people and creating opportunities for us to grow

Another Aztec Promotional Umbrella Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is not the end of the world. There are many other great tech companies to choose from in Austin.

Cons

Management has decided to start listing jobs for Aztec Promotional Group (screen printing) under it's software IT company Tradelogic. Beware! It is the same company. Once the word is out on Tradelogic, management will start listing software engineering and screen printer positions under Abel's on the Lake. (another of the many Aztec umbrella companies). I can only imagine the reason they are listing Aztec jobs under Tradelogic is because the reviews were not very positive for Aztec. Fewer people actually work for Tradelogic so it is still under the radar. I can see that the last couple of reviews are obvious attempts to bolster the positive feedback for Tradelogic. Look how far apart the postings are. Really?!

Don't believe the hype of the only two positive reviews. They are written in the same jargon that was given to me when I was offered a position.

The reality:
    -nepotism
    -low wages
    -no upward mobility
    -meager benefits
    -lack of focus
    -few resources
    -petty disciplinary tactics
    -lack of respect for employees
    -poor communication
    -low moral
    -and nepotism again

Take care of your employees. They are your most valuable assets.

Management is seriously out of touch with their businesses.

Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at Tradelogic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (like any restaurant)
    Lots of pick-up shifts

Cons

Was told I couldn't come to work, after being sick, without a doctors note (yet they don't provide insurance)
    EXTREME employee turnover
    New employees often have no idea what they are doing
    Upper management makes lots of promises with no follow through
    Never gotten worse tips (at two different locations)

Actually listen to your employees complaints, they are the ones who have to deal with customers at your restaurants. Advertise to bring in better clientele. Have all restaurants put a note about tipping at the bottom of their receipts, as people often don't know what they should pay.