Trader Joe's

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

138 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Irvine, CA

ProsThe pay is great, even starting out. There are opportunities for raises every 6 months, having met their criteria for being a stellar employee of course (knowing your job, talking to the shoppers/being friendly, going above and beyond expectations, etc). I met some great friends along the way in the form of coworkers, managers and even the shoppers. Trader Joe's has a family feel to it where everyone is usually jovial who walks in (sometimes too much) Also, there are always new products that come out so taste testing is a regular thing.

ConsIf you don't take care of yourself physically, it's going to be difficult. There are many times where you have to lift heavy things and over time it is taxing. There is the occasional drama that goes on between coworkers and the managers too. Some managers like to play favorites as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job. Just weed out the other managers who aren't in it for the best interest of the company.

Fun, friendly company to work for.

Crew Member/Sign Artist (Former Employee)
    Morgan Hill, CA

ProsTJ's has such a laid-back environment, and everybody treats each other like family. Weekly tastings, regular reviews with opportunity for pay increase, and extremely flexible hours at the Crew Member level. I worked on the sign team and spent my hours in artistic therapy.

ConsIt's basically a mix of retail and foodservice, and many customers will treat you with little to no respect and make outrageous requests & demands. If you can deliver customer service with a positive attitude despite the occasional obstacle, it's no biggie.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody's perfect but you guys are doing pretty well by your people. Kudos!

Customer service

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Studio City, CA

ProsBenefits good people and it's fun

ConsThere isn't any cons it's all good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crew Member

Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Always a delicious treat open in the back room

ConsThe company is becoming more and more corporate. The salaries and benefits are decreasing and the good people are being scared away. It's slowly becoming Wal Mart which is really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod back to the old days. I understand Trader Joe's wants to grow and expand, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of its employees.

Part time crew member

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benefits, solid company in this economy, great compensation, diverse responsibilities throughout the day, fun co workers

ConsRetail working hrs, very physical labor

Good People, Hard Work, Steady Pay

Crew Member (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsMy co-workers are (mostly) good workers with good attitudes. The Mates (assistant managers) dig in and get their hands dirty doing grunt work. Health/dental/vision benefits for full-timers after ~90 days.

ConsIt's a physically demanding job. You will be tired at the end of your shift. As with many places, hard workers are rewarded with more hard work, while the work-shy are rewarded with fewer responsibilities. Too bad the pay is the same regardless of which category a crew member is in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart employees at a living wage. 7% over minimum wage is not a living wage.

Great job while in college

Crew Member (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAll of the crew is super fun and easy to get along with, the management really cares about you, there is never a dull moment because there is always something to do, it's a very active job and you get to talk to a lot of fun customers. Night hours work well since I'm in school and they're super flexible around class schedules. They understand that I don't plan on being here forever and they are totally cool with it.

ConsSince it's active, it can be pretty exhausting. The hours can be kind of hard to work with, like 4-midnight or 4 am-12 noon. Some crew members are annoying but that's obviously going to vary between stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being friendly and caring about the crew, it's a great feeling

Great company culture with open communication among management.

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsRelatively good pay for a grocer. The culture is by far the best among other competitors. Fun team building worker appreciation days that are not required but rather desirable and have good participation and attendance. Great coworkers.

ConsSome of the stores can be extremely busy and the work can be strenuous. You are required to provide a certain customer service experience and as a result customers can be abusive and rude. Benefits have become increasingly worse as Trader Joe's has grown and become more corporate. As a result the quality of the employee has suffered as the starting positions has become less attractive.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpening new stores and growing rapidly while continually cutting benefits and pay for the average employee is a disastrous combination which could eventually damage your culture and reputation.

Best job I've ever had - except for the pay

Palo Alto, CA

ProsI really enjoyed working at Trader Joe's. While the store was open, the number one priority was to make the customers happy. We could hand out free samples, make small talk, give stickers to crying kids, or even come to work in a costume! We were never nitpicky about returns and could even replace items without seeing the defective one. ("Last time I bought tomatoes, they went bad really quickly." - "I'm sorry about that. Here, please have another box of tomatoes for free!") After the store closed, the crew had a lot of fun while restocking the shelves and cleaning the store. We could even play pranks on the manager.

ConsThe job started out at minimum wage and no benefits (health insurance, sick leave, etc don't kick in until after 6 months of employment). Employees performing satisfactorily get regular raises of about 50 cents every 6 months, up to a maximum of $20/hour for non-salaried crew members. Not a bad deal if you want to scan barcodes and clean up juice spills for a decade or more; but not all that amazing for a college student who just needs a temporary job for two years until graduation.

Sometimes restocking the shelves can be hard physical labor. Especially when heavy boxes are stacked several layers high in the stock room and you have to reshuffle everything to get to the one box you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't stack several heavy boxes on top of each other. It's a real pain to get to the bottom box.

Fun work environment; physically hard work

Section Leader/Clerk (Former Employee)
    La Crescenta, CA

Pros*Fun work environment *Good benefits *Comfortable Attire *Great exercise *Good pay *Diverse employees

Cons*A lot of heavy lifting which can lead to chronic back pain *Inconsistent schedule *Required to work most holidays and weekends

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings in California — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 138 reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.