Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews in California

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits) (in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members (in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights
142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

trader joes is a great place to work

Mate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgreat people and many great food options. Great management staff who spend much time on the development of the crew.

Conshave to deal with the general public. You don't get to spend much time with your family because you spend so much time at work. You have to do lots of heavy lifting which can quickly run your body down into the ground. You are not compensated well for the amount of time and effort you put in as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you were once a part time employee too.

Great Company

Crewmen (Current Employee) San Rafael, CA

ProsPay is good reviews happen frequently employee discounts

ConsNone really. Very nice place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

Fun, Easy Job

Demo Hostess (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsMy co- workers & Managers were a pretty great group of people. Employee loyalty, opportunities to advance if you apply yourself. Good pay.Good Benifets.

ConsI cant complain, I guess the position could be borring & repetiive at times. Dealing with Difficult Customers. Durring the holidays you get to taste test new special holiday items- to tell the customers abou them. I gained weight! I guess that was really my fault though!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it Real

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crew Member

Crew Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Always a delicious treat open in the back room

ConsThe company is becoming more and more corporate. The salaries and benefits are decreasing and the good people are being scared away. It's slowly becoming Wal Mart which is really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod back to the old days. I understand Trader Joe's wants to grow and expand, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of its employees.

Fading Glory, Trader Joe's has become a large retailer and is NOT A SPECIAL PLACE TO WORK! Los Angeles area.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA little less formal as far as retail, jeans, shorts...
    Small stores, less running around, compared to big box.
    For now, workers are still kind of happy, changing fast.

ConsNow a Big Company and feeling more like it everyday.
    Managers are lazy, standing in groups, doing nothing.
    Company is forcing more short-shifts, 5 hours or less and cutting hours on every shift, forcing higher-paid, experienced workers out.
    If you dare to get a second job to help pay bills, they stop scheduling you but don't really fire you...
    "Merchants" no longer carry keys and are just the managers favorites who kiss ___ and get over paid to stock shelves, they don't help anyone (workers or customers).
    Managers give you an "area" to clean but there is no time given to "keep it clean".

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you "Know everything", nothing.

Great company to work for

Crew Member (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe pay is great, even starting out. There are opportunities for raises every 6 months, having met their criteria for being a stellar employee of course (knowing your job, talking to the shoppers/being friendly, going above and beyond expectations, etc). I met some great friends along the way in the form of coworkers, managers and even the shoppers. Trader Joe's has a family feel to it where everyone is usually jovial who walks in (sometimes too much) Also, there are always new products that come out so taste testing is a regular thing.

ConsIf you don't take care of yourself physically, it's going to be difficult. There are many times where you have to lift heavy things and over time it is taxing. There is the occasional drama that goes on between coworkers and the managers too. Some managers like to play favorites as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job. Just weed out the other managers who aren't in it for the best interest of the company.

Fun, friendly company to work for.

Crew Member/Sign Artist (Former Employee) Morgan Hill, CA

ProsTJ's has such a laid-back environment, and everybody treats each other like family. Weekly tastings, regular reviews with opportunity for pay increase, and extremely flexible hours at the Crew Member level. I worked on the sign team and spent my hours in artistic therapy.

ConsIt's basically a mix of retail and foodservice, and many customers will treat you with little to no respect and make outrageous requests & demands. If you can deliver customer service with a positive attitude despite the occasional obstacle, it's no biggie.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody's perfect but you guys are doing pretty well by your people. Kudos!

Customer service

Customer Service (Former Employee) Studio City, CA

ProsBenefits good people and it's fun

ConsThere isn't any cons it's all good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great job while in college

Crew Member (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAll of the crew is super fun and easy to get along with, the management really cares about you, there is never a dull moment because there is always something to do, it's a very active job and you get to talk to a lot of fun customers. Night hours work well since I'm in school and they're super flexible around class schedules. They understand that I don't plan on being here forever and they are totally cool with it.

ConsSince it's active, it can be pretty exhausting. The hours can be kind of hard to work with, like 4-midnight or 4 am-12 noon. Some crew members are annoying but that's obviously going to vary between stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being friendly and caring about the crew, it's a great feeling

Best job I've ever had - except for the pay

Crew Member (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI really enjoyed working at Trader Joe's. While the store was open, the number one priority was to make the customers happy. We could hand out free samples, make small talk, give stickers to crying kids, or even come to work in a costume! We were never nitpicky about returns and could even replace items without seeing the defective one. ("Last time I bought tomatoes, they went bad really quickly." - "I'm sorry about that. Here, please have another box of tomatoes for free!") After the store closed, the crew had a lot of fun while restocking the shelves and cleaning the store. We could even play pranks on the manager.

ConsThe job started out at minimum wage and no benefits (health insurance, sick leave, etc don't kick in until after 6 months of employment). Employees performing satisfactorily get regular raises of about 50 cents every 6 months, up to a maximum of $20/hour for non-salaried crew members. Not a bad deal if you want to scan barcodes and clean up juice spills for a decade or more; but not all that amazing for a college student who just needs a temporary job for two years until graduation.

Sometimes restocking the shelves can be hard physical labor. Especially when heavy boxes are stacked several layers high in the stock room and you have to reshuffle everything to get to the one box you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't stack several heavy boxes on top of each other. It's a real pain to get to the bottom box.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!