Trader Joe's Reviews in California

Updated September 8, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 52 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 63 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

149 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Crew Member (part time/full time)

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount is 10% off everything in the store.
    "Tastings" which do include beer and wine (if you are of age of course) for Product Knowledge
    Crew Members can be be around your age bracket and always have a great attitude.
    Have the ability to get a raise... which is every 6months after that you have to wait a year after that.

Cons

Management can fire you at their will.
    Management can play "favorites" with certain crew members
    Seniority does not matter in this job.
    Customers always think their entitled to treat you like crap. Don't take anything personally from them.

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Usually an electric atmosphere.

Cons

Little emphasis on employee safety. No Sunday or Holiday premium pay.

Increase employee safety awareness. Pay at least time and a half to employees who help their store while sacrificing their holidays.

crew member

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent place to work, great atmosphere friendly

Cons

gets busy during rush hours

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has been on the decline for the past decade.

Current Employee - Captain  in  Crystal Cove, CA
    Current Employee - Captain in Crystal Cove, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's fast paced and very active. Products are well priced and the quality is ok...except for the perishables. There are a lot of quality people working in the stores but most everyone wishes the company would reverse it's current course.

Cons

Company has integrity issues. There is a big disconnect between management and the crew. You never know what is going to happen next and there is a general fear factor that is supposed to be motivating. The CEO leads from an elite and entitled perspective, blanketing his "Chairmen Circle" with I am god mentality that has everyone running scared. The basic format has been greatly changed and the result has crew members scratching their heads in frustration. What was once a great company to work for is now a place that barely resembles a fun and upbeat environment, it's turning into just another grocery store where nobody really wants to work.

Listen to the surveys and stop using them to identify the "disengaged". Take the responsibility of making it a great company to work for as a priority and stop taking things away because "It's way above industry norms"...That's what made it a great company. Stop blaming the crew for not getting it...take a look in the mirror and start participating in making decisions that benefit the crew .

Hard work for relatively low wages.

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are generally friendly and fair. Positive atmosphere. Product is awesome. Regular customers are loyal and eventually become family. Schedule flexibility for part time employees.

Cons

Corporate culture continues to undermine the once fun atmosphere behind the scenes. Strenuous work. A lot of injuries occur to crew members. Pay started at $10.00/hour even with college education. Slow promotion path. Fluctuation with bi-annual pay increases. Benefits have become harder to qualify for.

Upper management should actually listen to crew members suggestions and advice. Consider starting pay commensurate to education level.

Trader Joe's is a great company to work for because they treat their employees well and hire great people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Trader Joe's hires awesome people. I got along with all of my coworkers and genuinely enjoyed my time there. The tastings, where employees get to sample products, are always fun and informative. I also made strong bonds with some of the regular customers. Trader Joe's has a fiercely loyal customer base who love Trader Joe's for the employees as well as the products.

Cons

No matter where you go, there are people who are jerks. It just happens. Trader Joe's has a very liberal return policy, which people are constantly taking advantage of. People can be incredibly rude and entitled, but I think that's true for any customer service job. The company has gone through two big management structure changes in the last few years, which were a bit tumultuous, but things are settling down now.

Stick to the original message of the company: a national chain of neighborhood stores.

It was a fun experience with good coworkers but did not pay enough

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun atmosphere, laid back, raises twice a year

Cons

Pay was terrible also there were some very odd and in my opinion unnecessary rules of conduct.

Leadership was ok, but could've been better about correcting errors. This comes from employees, management, and customers.

trader joes is a great place to work

Current Employee - Mate  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Mate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great people and many great food options. Great management staff who spend much time on the development of the crew.

Cons

have to deal with the general public. You don't get to spend much time with your family because you spend so much time at work. You have to do lots of heavy lifting which can quickly run your body down into the ground. You are not compensated well for the amount of time and effort you put in as a manager.

Remember that you were once a part time employee too.

Great Company

Current Employee - Crewmen  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Crewmen in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good reviews happen frequently employee discounts

Cons

None really. Very nice place to work

Don't play favorites.

Used to be 5 star

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We are family. Working with the public.

Cons

Work Life balance. Accumulative stress/injury. Despite continued comp sales increases, gaining national market share, nationalizing supply chain, consolidating warehouse infrastructure, and saving a crap ton of money moving a good portion of the crew to the ObamaCare, the company is scaling back retirement contributions by over a third, dramatically reducing the bonus incentive, re-restructuring management after a dramatic fail at their first attempt, and implementing a extremely divisive, secretive, and vague upstream survey of supervisors.

In 20 years I have not seen lower Morale, even at the receiving end of a TD tongue lashing. Please see the survey for what it is. Its a perfect opportunity for disengaged crew members to get back at supervisors. Honestly, there are some bad supervisors who need to receive real feedback. What is happening, however, is that a very small but vocal contingency of employees are smart bombing good supervisors because they know the impact of their comments, especially if coordinated, can detrimentally impact a career arc in the long run and their bonus short term. I have worked in quite a few TJ locations and can confidently state that this is not unique to one store. It is a fact that the crew knows that this is a tool to get rid of or hurt someone. A supervisor has no recourse other than just bear out without given the chance to challenge the validity of the claims. All comments seem purposefully vague and conclusions are drawn without giving any specifics even when asked for. Prompt Often and Specific, POS feedback, is something we are all trained to utilize to get the best out of our crew. Why does this not apply to supervisors? When HR coaches us on writing incident reports or tough reviews they reiterate time and time again to state only irrefutable fact and to exclude opinion. Why is it acceptable in this system of reviewing supervisors? This bugs the heck out of me and I am certainly not alone. It wasn't always like this. A few years ago, some cheeky analogy from the top emerged about getting bad apples off the bus became a popular idea and eventually became a mandate for the Captains. In order to show results the Captains did their best, and sometime worst, in satisfying this goal. It revolved around numbers and not understanding our crew. The Moral tapestry that created our legendary dynamic tension was now without the glue of genuine compassion. It was a lazy, indiscriminate methodology and a huge mistake. This was an order that we should all have disobeyed. . Those who actually supported their captains when asked to "clear the bus" are now being thrown under the bus. Its quite brilliant, actually, if this was the plan all along. Something something Machiavelli... I know there is no going back to the way things were. I just dont want to see the company I love working for turned into a sandbox for bad business theory at this crucial point in time in our growth. Thank you for listening.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!