Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard"
    in 44 reviews
  • "Health insurance for part-time employees after 3 months of employment"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's their shady practices that ruin morale, not crew members reacting to the situation"
    in 53 reviews
  • "It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit"
    in 36 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

going downhill

Rochester Hills, MI

Prosfun atmosphere, great customer interaction, management laid back

Constook away insurance benefits for people under 30 yrs old, used to promote from within and now hire from outside which in my store didn't work out well at all because they weren't used to the "company culture", early morning shifts or late nights (my stores first shift was 5am and latest ended at midnight), managers are undereducated and overpaid which resulted in a lot of laziness and lack of direction, my stores management also treated its employees biasly

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up! work as hard as your being compensated for!!

Crew Member

Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Always a delicious treat open in the back room

ConsThe company is becoming more and more corporate. The salaries and benefits are decreasing and the good people are being scared away. It's slowly becoming Wal Mart which is really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod back to the old days. I understand Trader Joe's wants to grow and expand, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of its employees.

Great job.

Centreville, VA

ProsAlways a friendly environment full of smiling face.

ConsStaffing, I was not able to get the hours I wanted.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Until New Owner

Millburn, NJ

Prosawesome training, if you find the store that fits you its awesome leadership, in the past the company valued customers and employees

ConsWith new policies, employees are pretty much second rate. benefits were reduced and put a lot of people that worked hard out of their benefits. There is the the problem now where some employees slack and the best employees have to make up for it.

Very disappointing experience

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and great benefits

ConsComplete lack of training for incoming mates. I came with a wealth of experience and felt as if I was being "hazed" for the duration of my tenure, especially from the captain, who was very old school. Very cliquish atmosphere. I can attest that the great "vibe" the public sees as shoppers is far from what TJ's really is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program, embrace people's differences, treat people with respect.

Best job I've ever had - except for the pay

Palo Alto, CA

ProsI really enjoyed working at Trader Joe's. While the store was open, the number one priority was to make the customers happy. We could hand out free samples, make small talk, give stickers to crying kids, or even come to work in a costume! We were never nitpicky about returns and could even replace items without seeing the defective one. ("Last time I bought tomatoes, they went bad really quickly." - "I'm sorry about that. Here, please have another box of tomatoes for free!") After the store closed, the crew had a lot of fun while restocking the shelves and cleaning the store. We could even play pranks on the manager.

ConsThe job started out at minimum wage and no benefits (health insurance, sick leave, etc don't kick in until after 6 months of employment). Employees performing satisfactorily get regular raises of about 50 cents every 6 months, up to a maximum of $20/hour for non-salaried crew members. Not a bad deal if you want to scan barcodes and clean up juice spills for a decade or more; but not all that amazing for a college student who just needs a temporary job for two years until graduation.

Sometimes restocking the shelves can be hard physical labor. Especially when heavy boxes are stacked several layers high in the stock room and you have to reshuffle everything to get to the one box you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't stack several heavy boxes on top of each other. It's a real pain to get to the bottom box.

Too many (temporary) cooks in one kitchen

Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsCo-workers are great, the atmosphere is really positive and upbeat overall. Most of the employees tend to be creative, artsy and educated. The benefits are very good, and that alone is worth putting in 30 hours or more every week. If you want to advance into section leader, merchant or mate, there are definitely opportunities to advance.

ConsThere are too many mates (managers) and they don't stay long at one store, so they come and go. That means a lot of inconsistency: half of them don't know your strengths, or they tend to forget when they set up the schedule. By the time they know you well, they're gone. There are many Dr. Jekylls and Mr. Hydes. You can confide in a mate who seems sympathetic and understanding to your concerns one day, but the next day that same mate may throw you under the bus over the same issue. It has happened to me and several co-workers. The captain at our store is not very approachable, and mostly absent. If you want to talk to the captain, then schedule that meeting days in advance. Some departments at the store are left to figure out things for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know all the crew members on your shift, know what their strengths and interests are. Don't be nice to someone only to change your mind and have an opposite opinion the next day. It confuses and frustrates people, and they won't trust you anymore. If workers feel that management doesn't care about them, if they make them feel that they are just another body at the store, then the workers won't care about doing their jobs well either. Have less managers, since the managers seem to interpret rules differently as well (one will let you eat a chocolate bar during closing, while another will point a finger at you for doing the same. Some mates get stern when crew members stand on the metal bar under the refrigerator boxes, while other mates will gladly stand on those same bars to reach the top shelves).

Part time crew member

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benefits, solid company in this economy, great compensation, diverse responsibilities throughout the day, fun co workers

ConsRetail working hrs, very physical labor

used to be great

Mate (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat customers, usually fun people to work with

ConsThe company gives in to bad ideas by people who have little to no knowledge about our products and can barely do the minimum required of them. They make huge changes every year that take away benefits, change store structure, and confuse the employees. If you are part time, and you are an excellent employee, you get the same raise as someone that just shows up to work. It takes too .long to get rid of employees that don't work hard enough. They are promoting people that don't know the basics of grocery.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your more experienced people and promote them, especially since they usually care more. Stop promoting mates to captain just because of gender, promote the most qualified for the job. Putting people in charge of stores that can't even write an order is shameful. We are losing business to other grocers due to continual stock outages. Our customers are getting tired of it.

I wanted to kill myself working here

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was okay, when starting to work there the training was the best I have ever received, I felt like they genuinely wanted you to learn unlike most jobs. The product was good that you could speak genuinely to customers about it and the discount was useful although the food isn't too expensive to begin with. Hours are good.

ConsThe managers are very disorganized and not helpful but most of all THE EMPLOYEES ARE SO RUDE. I have never had to work with such hateful mean people. Even the managers join in and pick on you. Everyone talks about you (usually poorly) openly despite if it is true or not. I have worked at multiple trader joe's during the short time I stayed there and has happened at every one I've worked at. The managers claim they are here to help you, but burn you when speaking to other employees and play favoritism on person as opposed to work ethic. After working here you will probably have some type of issue with your body because of the type of work as safe as you try to be.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 567 reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.