Trader Joe's

www.traderjoes.com

Trader Joe's Reviews

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

Decent part-time job with above average pay when you cap out at payscalae

Crew Member (Former Employee) Ventura, CA

ProsBest reasons to work at TJ's is flexible hours, and decent pay for what you do great Part time job for students and people who want to work with little responsibility-other than showing up, cashiering and stocking. Easy going place to work.

ConsThe full-timers are manager's who for the most part are uneducated and got promoted based on doing being friends with the Captain or first mate. No formal training program for them it's a sink or swim baptism by fire management program. They shoul be more elective recruiting college grads who have taken courses in leadership, management, and human resources. They fail epically in that area

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize a management training program-

Absolutely the best retail Job, hands down

Crew Member (Former Employee) Brea, CA

ProsEveryone always asks why the employees are so happy at TJ's; it's because they treat their employees extremely well. Great pay, great benefits, and a great atmosphere to work in. Plus they sell delicious food at low prices, so you believe in the product you are selling - which makes the job easy! Best of all, you get pay reviews on a consistent schedule. I think this is key. You know where you stand at all times. They let you know the areas you need to improve, plus praise your areas of strengths, which motivates you to perform well. I can't say enough good things about this company. It's ideal for students because they work around your schedule and are very supportive. This job got me through my bachelors degree and masters degree. I have since left to enter my field of study, but I'll always be a loyal customer and proudly sing my praises of being a former employee.

ConsI've worked at several different stores and sometimes, unfortunately, managers have their favorites and those individuals are given better shift preferences, but hey, that's true no matter where you work. As long as you work hard and prove yourself, I've found that in time you make it up the ladder no matter where you work within this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is slowly becoming more and more corporate as the years go on - just don't forget your carefree roots of being a laid back, non-beurocratic company - its what made you great!!!

Great place to shop, not a great place to work.

Crew Member (Current Employee) West Hartford, CT

ProsGreat pay and great benefits. The training, at least when I started, was better than any I received at other retail jobs. There are also a lot of opportunities for fun with coworkers and bonding. The food is great and the discount is nice.

ConsYou most likely will get injured. Most of the people in my store have gotten injured at some point, including myself. Hours are highly variable and advancement is dependent upon favoritism rather than hard work. Management turnover compounds these problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegionals should pay more surprise visits rather than announcing their arrival to the Captain if they want to get a true idea of how their stores are really looking and running. Listen to part-timers since they have less of a vested interest in telling you what you want to hear and more motivation to be honest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are three things you need when you punch in. Name badge, cutter and FUN!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are so many good reasons. Everybody does everything. You rarely get bored. Customers are usually great because they enjoy the shopping experience. Food and wine tasting occur weekly,to help with product knowledge.

ConsManagment gets moved around at least once a year which sometimes can be difficult,having to break your new bosses.

Good

Crew Member (Current Employee) Laguna Hills, CA

ProsThey treat crew members great and allow for time off when needed. Flexible schedule good pay and allow for advancement within the company.

ConsVery physically demanding job very customer service oriented work alot of hours. Nothing else notable that I can think of.

Fun atmosphere, but kills the back.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe best part about the job is the pay. As a part time crew member, you start around $10/hour and get raises up to a dollar every 6 months. The benefits are really good too.

ConsThe work can be very damaging on the back The stock rooms are usually too small and you have to do awkward lifting. Also, the register leads to repetitive movement which can cause carpel tunnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend focusing more on avoiding injuries. Possibly bring in a physical therapist every 6 months or so to demonstrate how to do the job safely.

10 years of experience here

Crew Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSolid pay for a retail job, benefits, yearly IRA contributions, paid time off and work with a great mix of people.

ConsTerrible hours as in working till midnight and coming back at 6 am. Or coming into work as early as 3am. Getting promoted isnt about whos the hardest worker, its who is the biggest brown noser

Good company. Bad management

Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsThe pay at trader joes is very good. 2 reviews a year are a good thing as well as health insurance. The job is very easy for the pay received.

ConsTrader joes is a wonderful company, but they need to take a good look at who they are promoting, and who Is running the stores. It's very easy for a store to look good for 5 minutes when the regional comes in. The drama is not escapable. In my stores case it's the management that causes it. Feedback is horrendous and The management tends to either wait for your reviews or cut your hours before they give you feedback. The hours are inconsistent and can change drastically week to week. Especially if you are not a favorite. As with my store management is very unprofessional. And with the many complaints I've heard nothing has been done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your workers do their job and go home. It shouldn't be as hard to avoid drama but it is when management causes it. Oh and don't take new hires if you can't give your current people hours.

super

Part-timer (Former Employee) Pikesville, MD

Proshappy employees
    great communication
    great pay
    great benefits
    lots of opportunity to move up

i would definitely suggest working at trader joe's

Consnot very many cons. if you have a positive personality and are laid back, not phased by much, then you will do great

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work. everyone at the pikesville store is top notch and i am happy to say i worked with such upstanding folks

Fun place to work

Crew Member (Current Employee) Palm Desert, CA

ProsGood starting hourly rate, every six months you are reviewed for a possible raise.
    Low pressure environment.
    Great health benefits after 3 months, don't forget to enroll!
    Lots of personalities to work with, co workers and customers, usually pleasant.
    Great food! Employee tastings!

ConsSome personalities are a bit over the top, but that's life.
    Some repetitive tasks.
    Beware of working in seasonal environments, or being hired for the season, if you are looking for a lasting job you may not be able to keep your position past the busy season.
    Physical labor will take a toll after some time.
    Management rarely listens to part time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to your part timer crew, don't forget to treat them as individuals with valuable ideas, not just part of your workforce. Give credit where it is deserved.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!