Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

Very disappointing experience

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and great benefits

ConsComplete lack of training for incoming mates. I came with a wealth of experience and felt as if I was being "hazed" for the duration of my tenure, especially from the captain, who was very old school. Very cliquish atmosphere. I can attest that the great "vibe" the public sees as shoppers is far from what TJ's really is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program, embrace people's differences, treat people with respect.

Great company to work for

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGood benefits, good people. I enjoyed the people that I worked with, and I appreciated that Trader Joe's lets you try their foods so you know what you're working with. It's a positive place to work. Difficult to get in because so many people want to work there, but once you're in you're one of the lucky ones...who works in grocery stores.

ConsMonotonous, repetitious, physically demanding. Dealing with a lot of customers, and during the holiday season can be an enormous amount of pressure. There's an underlying corporateism, and the company continues to get more corporate. Mostly, just dealing with the kinds of people who come into a grocery store...which means just about all kinds of people. Gotta be good with customers. Or else...what are you doing working in a grocery store?

Stores have decreased quality over the past few years.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Merrick, NY

ProsGood benefits (if they didn't screw you out of 30 hours during the change)
    Opportunity for a raise every 6 months
    Some good people

ConsMorale in this company has hit an all time low over the past years, since the change of benefits and the many events of restructuring. Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store. Crew members who have been there for a long time and work hard are expected to make up all the work while the slackers slide by, while they end up getting the same raise as the people who work hard because it is a flat rate. Managers gossip with crew members about other crew members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking more about the little people. After all, they are the ones who do your job, and are being treated poorly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, physically demanding and customer focused job

Crew Member (Current Employee)

ProsA fun company to work for as crew, very physical work with a strong customer focus. Tends to only hire extroverts withe big smiles on their faces. Management is held accountable to the crew which tends to keep things from getting too hierarchical. They pay pretty well for an hourly position - health insurance is good.

ConsDifficult if you want to advance into salary/full time, you are put under excessive scrutiny which can make your life pretty miserable. It is very much a popularity contest - you ONLY advance if everyone likes you - their (often faulty) logic being that it makes a happier work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore rights for full time crew - how about some maternity leave, more paid vacation instead of accruing AR - better incentives like the Mates have? We work just as hard if not harder than the mates and see a fraction of the benefits that they have!

Awesome Until New Owner

Crew Member (Former Employee) Millburn, NJ

Prosawesome training, if you find the store that fits you its awesome leadership, in the past the company valued customers and employees

ConsWith new policies, employees are pretty much second rate. benefits were reduced and put a lot of people that worked hard out of their benefits. There is the the problem now where some employees slack and the best employees have to make up for it.

Love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team support, management helpful to employee needs.

ConsLow pay. No advancement. Very difficult to move up once hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk then listen.

Customer service

Customer Service (Former Employee) Studio City, CA

ProsBenefits good people and it's fun

ConsThere isn't any cons it's all good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fun, friendly company to work for.

Crew Member/Sign Artist (Former Employee) Morgan Hill, CA

ProsTJ's has such a laid-back environment, and everybody treats each other like family. Weekly tastings, regular reviews with opportunity for pay increase, and extremely flexible hours at the Crew Member level. I worked on the sign team and spent my hours in artistic therapy.

ConsIt's basically a mix of retail and foodservice, and many customers will treat you with little to no respect and make outrageous requests & demands. If you can deliver customer service with a positive attitude despite the occasional obstacle, it's no biggie.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody's perfect but you guys are doing pretty well by your people. Kudos!

love the culture of this company. customers are happy to be shopping there.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat culture, good benefits, and fun environment

Conshard physical work. schedule can be very difficult for families

It is a great place to work.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThere are opportunities for advancement and it is fun to come to work. The starting pay is above the average in the area.

ConsIt is a physically demanding job. A lot harder than anticipated. If you are in shape this job is for you.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!