Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

I wanted to kill myself working here

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was okay, when starting to work there the training was the best I have ever received, I felt like they genuinely wanted you to learn unlike most jobs. The product was good that you could speak genuinely to customers about it and the discount was useful although the food isn't too expensive to begin with. Hours are good.

ConsThe managers are very disorganized and not helpful but most of all THE EMPLOYEES ARE SO RUDE. I have never had to work with such hateful mean people. Even the managers join in and pick on you. Everyone talks about you (usually poorly) openly despite if it is true or not. I have worked at multiple trader joe's during the short time I stayed there and has happened at every one I've worked at. The managers claim they are here to help you, but burn you when speaking to other employees and play favoritism on person as opposed to work ethic. After working here you will probably have some type of issue with your body because of the type of work as safe as you try to be.

After years in the "grocery business", this is so much better than what I'm used to.

Pros-Performance based. Hours are there if you have open availability and a desire to work hard.
    -Starting pay is more than fair considering the state of the retail world in 2014.
    -Product driven company. If you love food, then this is the place to be. No wasting time with lottery machines, money orders, patio furniture, bus passes, gift card malls, coinstar machines, all the things that bog down the "traditional" grocery store.
    -Non union. Unless you like being a slave to a seniority list or being at the whim of union leaders and their unrealistic contract demands, then work hard, have a good attitude, and you'll be fine.
    -10% employee discount may be lower than other companies, but considering that most things are already value priced, it's a nice bonus.

Cons-You will work nights and weekends, but who really wants to sit in an office 8-5 Monday through Friday, fighting traffic both ways and all the crowds on the weekend?
    -Medical benefits may be hard to qualify for as a part timer, but unless you've been sleeping under a rock for 20 years, that's just the world we live in.
    -Each store is unique. Find a store with a captain that shares your ideals and experience. Otherwise, you probably won't get the job to begin with or you'll just be frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand the profitability of sales per square foot, but the store backroom areas are perilously tight. Much time is wasted just trying to navigate through product to get it on the sales floor.

Seeing the beginnings of age discrimination- lots of favoritism towards younger, "cheap" hourly workers.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsI like my coworkers. Many managers lack actual management training from business schools. Some are put into these positions out of favoritism by the captain. Our store climate has been taking a huge downturn in employee morale since our new captain came to the store. The new captain "nitpicks" at workers aged 40+, but lets things slip with the young "20 somethings".

ConsChallenges exist with the Dayforce system. In order to get scheduled, you must have a RIDICULOUS amount of availability! The work can be very physically taxing on your body, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many espoused values, but in actuality adherence to "kaizen" is spotty, at best. We have some managers at our store that should not be in that position- they manage through coercion and threats, instead of actually being leaders that should inspire us to become better at what we do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun work environment; physically hard work

Section Leader/Clerk (Former Employee) La Crescenta, CA

Pros*Fun work environment *Good benefits *Comfortable Attire *Great exercise *Good pay *Diverse employees

Cons*A lot of heavy lifting which can lead to chronic back pain *Inconsistent schedule *Required to work most holidays and weekends

Great place to work

Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe food is great. It's air conditioned!

ConsI have to drive to get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Dissapointed

Crew (Current Employee)

ProsEven with recent cuts still good healthcare and pay. Overall cool people to work with

ConsOh where to begin. Pointless restructuring every 4-5 years. Cut in retirement. (went from 15.4% to 10% with no warning). Integrity is core value one yet they have this secret meeting in Dallas and not tell anyone whats happening months later. If you are single you can get promoted but if you have any family obligations no matter how hard you work or skill level it just won't happen. They have a history of either over promising or double speak. And before someone comments about this being a not accurate assesment lets just say I have been around before scanners so I have seen a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop tinkering with crew structure. Don't lead people on. Don't say one thing and mean another. Seriously consider crew knowledge and skill level when promoting.

Hiring Process.

ProsNice people,interesting shirts,good environment

Constakes a while to hear back from

Make sure its only a pit stop

Crew Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAt the time it had good insurance for those working under 21 hours per week. The amount you enjoyed work depended on your managers and captain, which changed often.

ConsVery boring. The company is only concerned about the bottom line, not about the employees, or the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou chose a captain of the year that was never at the store, created heavy bureaucracy, and managed using lots of fear.

Good People, Hard Work, Steady Pay

Crew Member (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMy co-workers are (mostly) good workers with good attitudes. The Mates (assistant managers) dig in and get their hands dirty doing grunt work. Health/dental/vision benefits for full-timers after ~90 days.

ConsIt's a physically demanding job. You will be tired at the end of your shift. As with many places, hard workers are rewarded with more hard work, while the work-shy are rewarded with fewer responsibilities. Too bad the pay is the same regardless of which category a crew member is in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart employees at a living wage. 7% over minimum wage is not a living wage.

On the decline

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally, the company has taken care of its employees, though I hear things much less favorable now. There was a chance to do well with reviews, and they were reasonably simple to predict. Note that this review is primarily based on when I worked there.

ConsTrend in reviews have been poor. Also, the further corporatization of the company has led to a decidedly less appealing work place. When I left, the store (a store less than 5 years old), there was still a feeling of family amongst the crew, management included. It has turned adversarial since then: genuinely lazy managers, refusal to promote personal growth or development, less emphasis on customer experience, further degradation of the produce quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp with growth and development potential. Also, do better with aiding in benefits/compensation.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!