Trader Joe's

Updated February 11, 2015
3.5

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It's great if you can get a good captain, otherwise it's just pretty good.

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a relaxed culture where you can be yourself with tattoos, different hair and unique personalities (as long as you're not crabby to the customers or your crewmates). It also has a really good starting salary (especially if you have previous retail experience). As part of the Crew, you don't specialize. You will work ALL ASPECTS OF TRADER JOE'S. Everyone, from the Captain to the Mates (asst. mgrs.) to the Crew, works register, unloads trucks, stocks shelves, greets customers, works Demo (where they give food samples) and cleans up. TJ's stresses product knowledge, so we have food and wine tastings weekly.

AND if you make TJ's your career, you can have a very good life, because the Mates make VERY GOOD MONEY ($50k to $90k) and the Captains ($90k+). It's not brain surgery, folks, but if you like people and are friendly and helpful (and patient with others), you will really like Trader Joe's. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The benefits are good (in CA, 700 hrs a year qualifies you for health insurance) and for those under 30, you get a yearly bonus (but for those over 30, you get the bonus as an IRA contribution).

Cons

Like any job, the job is only as good as its leader, and if you get a crappy Captain or lazy mates, the days can suck. The Captain at my store had 30+ years with the company, but was the most indecisive man I'd ever met. Today this, tomorrow that. It made things confusing. Also some of the Mates came in as managers, so they weren't promoted up from crew. THAT makes a huge difference! The crew would often get angry that they didn't pitch in to help enough due to a perceived sense of entitlement. Then whoever writes the schedule says our sales are low and cuts Crew on the busiest days. We all have to rush around and some have gotten hurt (including me), but we should be grateful to have a job, right?

Those who work smart aren't always rewarded, while those who have been with the company more than five years seem to put their feet up and do as much of the work as they want to. They have the best shifts, yet the majority aren't the best workers. This leads to a cascade effect where work not done or done incorrectly falls on YOU. And like every other job, there is favoritism, but as long as it doesn't affect my money, I don't care.

Oh, and the customers. The majority (85%) are nice, but the others? You have to bite your tongue and be kind when you get insulted, treated rudely or yelled at. Remember: the customer is always right, even if they're a ranting nutjob.

When you see a store that's hemorrhaging Crew Members, take a look at the Captain and Mates. Our store has had so much turnover lately, it's surprising. When I ask Crew at other stores if they lose people frequently, most don't. Oh, and managers-- feel free to COME IN THE STORE and talk to the Crew. We're the grunts on the front line of your image, so check in with us and see how we're doing. Many of us have great ideas for improvements.

Friendly Atmosphere

Former Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, Flexible, Great People, Company values

Cons

They run a 'tight ship' so expect to specialize but wear many hats.

Remember the dedicated hard work the office does to support the stores.

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Above average wages/salary. Fantastic retirement plan. Great Benefits. Employee discount on all products.

Cons

Inconsistent hours for most members of management. Sometimes difficult to get time off.

Praise often, be direct, consistent and hold everyone accountable.

Crew Member

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work as a student. Benefits and flexible hours to work around class schedules. Great people to work with

Cons

Various levels of competency among full timers/management

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Raises twice a year
    Many food/wine tastings
    Decent Health Insurance for those working on average 30 hours/week
    Great people to work with
    Safe environment
    Paid time off

Cons

As a crew member, hourly pay capped at around $21 an hour
    Slowly making cuts to overall benefits but looking to improve on those again

More advice to CEO: promoting from within is better than taking others from the outside. Go back to the Trader Joe's tradition of doing that.

My One Year as a Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved the environment. Everyone loves Trader Joe's, including the employees. Trader Joe's thrives off of customer service, and the management understands that a happy crew will provide good customer service, which leads to happy customers.

Cons

When you first start working you will never have a steady schedule. Only the "lifers" (10+ years with TJ) have a constant schedule. Each store is run differently, so if you transfer between stores you could be in for a rough transition.

Do not mirco-manage. That just makes you the one Mate that nobody likes and it kills morale. Articulate to the crew why the rules are the way they are. For example, why is TJ a non-GMO store? The customers will ask, so your crew needs to know.

Hard work for relatively low wages.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers are generally friendly and fair. Positive atmosphere. Product is awesome. Regular customers are loyal and eventually become family. Schedule flexibility for part time employees.

Cons

Corporate culture continues to undermine the once fun atmosphere behind the scenes. Strenuous work. A lot of injuries occur to crew members. Pay started at $10.00/hour even with college education. Slow promotion path. Fluctuation with bi-annual pay increases. Benefits have become harder to qualify for.

Upper management should actually listen to crew members suggestions and advice. Consider starting pay commensurate to education level.

crew member

Former Employee - Crew Member in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

excellent place to work, great atmosphere friendly

Cons

gets busy during rush hours

Fun, Easy Job

Former Employee - Demo Hostess in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Demo Hostess in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co- workers & Managers were a pretty great group of people. Employee loyalty, opportunities to advance if you apply yourself. Good pay.Good Benifets.

Cons

I cant complain, I guess the position could be borring & repetiive at times. Dealing with Difficult Customers. Durring the holidays you get to taste test new special holiday items- to tell the customers abou them. I gained weight! I guess that was really my fault though!

Keep it Real

Fading Glory, Trader Joe's has become a large retailer and is NOT A SPECIAL PLACE TO WORK! Los Angeles area.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A little less formal as far as retail, jeans, shorts...
    Small stores, less running around, compared to big box.
    For now, workers are still kind of happy, changing fast.

Cons

Now a Big Company and feeling more like it everyday.
    Managers are lazy, standing in groups, doing nothing.
    Company is forcing more short-shifts, 5 hours or less and cutting hours on every shift, forcing higher-paid, experienced workers out.
    If you dare to get a second job to help pay bills, they stop scheduling you but don't really fire you...
    "Merchants" no longer carry keys and are just the managers favorites who kiss ___ and get over paid to stock shelves, they don't help anyone (workers or customers).
    Managers give you an "area" to clean but there is no time given to "keep it clean".

Since you "Know everything", nothing.