Trader Joe's

Updated November 22, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No look policy and salary.

Cons

I can't think of any so far.

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has Great benefits

Cons

Not too much of a career

No need to Micromanage

Highest paying, most positive atmosphere, and easiest retail/grocery job I've ever had by far

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, caring environment, positive atmosphere, high salary, constant learning experience, non-routine, extremely team-oriented

Cons

Sadly the company places all emphasis for promotion/raises on presence and exact punctuality rather than quality of work.

Fun and great company to work with!

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

wonderful company to grow with
    pay is goode
    everyone is so positive and happy

Cons

very competitive to become a higher position

Work with some great people but overall sexist boys club.-review by former Mate

Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

10% discount
    They hire some really great people who can feel like family over time.

Cons

Work/life balance is dismal. Worked 6 months straight of 2PM till 1AM with Tuesday and Wednesday off.
    Male employees who make sexist or racist remarks get a pass if they've been working there for more than 3 years. Even with management and HR having knowledge of it these men just get shuffled around instead of having the problem actually be dealt with.
    Men also make higher salaries than female counterparts.
    In my experience the store manager I worked under did not care about anything and brushed people off which is frustrating when you know they make over 100000 a year and can't even pretend to care about the staff.

Focus more on staff and people who bring real value to your company opposed to giving some seniority loyalty to people who are over all destructive to your brand. Take sexual harassment and racial comments more seriously.

Great Atmosphere with great people.

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone says the attitudes of the employees at Trader Joe's is way better than anywhere else especially in NYC. I feel part of the reason is that the management makes their crew members feel comfortable, is there to help them learn and grow, and accommodates and trusts everyone working their.

Cons

It can get pretty hectic as well as physically challenging. Dealing with the often demanding and rude customers is emotionally challenging as well.

Communication is key especially because there is such a big staff so that's very important.

Amazing Culture

Former Employee - Crew Member in Larchmont, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Larchmont, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Friendly work environment
    -Emphasis on training and internal promotion
    -Concerned with employee welfare
    -Teaches excellent customer service
    -Allows employees to learn about products through sampling programs

Cons

-Every once and a while there will be customers who are overly entitled or unpleasant, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Keep doing what you're doing

Great Company

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very helpful, energetic and supportive staff to work with. Management (at least at my location) really cares about the crew and our physical as well as emotional well being. Both crew and managers have gone out of their way to make new members feel like a real part of the team. The training was pretty good and the managers did a good job of matching me with people who were particularly good at their jobs. Pretty good starting pay for a minimum wage job and the benefits are also very generous as well. Very easy to communicate to management and communication is welcome and encouraged for any issue. very comfortable and honest working environment.

Cons

The work can get very tiring, physically as well as mentally. Dealing with customers can really drain you emotionally at the end of the day as the diversity and variety of people that you interact with can really influence the experience you have. While thats obvious for any customer service position, however i feel that Trader Joes is particularly unique in that we are obligated to go out of our way to help customers; and because a lot of them know this you can be taken advantage of and more or less have to suck it up. The manual labor can be particularly taxing and you must make sure to adhere to proper techniques for lifting and other tasks in order to ensure no injury as it is all too easy to injure yourself. There are also politics in play with some of the management for earning raises and thats disappointing. Management also sometimes does a poor job of scheduling the amount of crew necessary to close the store in an adequate and timely manner which really burdens the crew that are helping. Moving up in the company isnt hard but it also isnt easy. You need to be extra dedicated to whatever section you work, which is good but it also consumes your personal life and that seems a bit extreme.

The politics on who gets a raise and who doesnt should end as this is one of the biggest areas for improvement regarding communication. Not being so stingy and borderline drill sergeant-esque with how many hours a crew member can work a week would really help alleviate the problem of having enough crew. I understand the store has to make money, but it can only make money if it has the right employees to fulfill the standards that management sets

Crew Member Experience

Former Employee - Crew Member in Westfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Westfield, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible hours, better than average starting pay, free food, great products, wonderful benefits

Cons

Not much job security....people who have been there for years and who make a good hourly wage will get passed over by newer hires for promotions just because it causes the company less money

Take care of the old guard

Great place but your body will hate you

Former Employee - Part-time Crew Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-time Crew Member in New York, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere was great for the most part. Coworkers are cool but do tend to rotate. Some people stay on for years, some drop out after a few months. The work is hard but rewarding and you get to see just how much work goes into keeping a small supermarket stocked. The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work. You get a discount (but it's pretty puny) and for a foodie who loves their products it was pretty great, especially since you burn so many calories during work that you get to eat like an absolute pig to make up for it. My location (in NYC) saw upwards of 6,000 customers a day from all walks of life. If you can make it in that store you can make it anywhere.

Cons

I worked part time but regularly clocked in at 39 hours a week. I asked for 20 a week when I was hired, and requested to have my hours reduced a bit but it never happened. The work is intensely physical and your body aches all over. Eventually my elbows hurt enough that I went to the doctor who said I had medial epicondylitis. I was put on "light duty" but as this was mostly register work (which is repetitive and is the actual cause of epicondylitis in many supermarket workers) this only exacerbated the problem.
    The following isn't about TJ's so much as the workers comp company they hire: The workers comp rep I had was a monster. Others who dealt with her had the same experiences. Word to the wise: if you deal with workers comp record EVERY call. They will lie and then accuse you of lying. She even changed her name half way through and used several different combinations of the two in our correspondence which was just confusing and unprofessional. Several times I received extra checks because the state comp board saw that they were cheating me and forced them to cough up the dough. Comp Drs covered were a joke, and repeated made paperwork mistakes that delayed my checks (which were less than $50 a week in NYC which is literally less than a panhandler can make in half a day). Several years later and my left arm still hurts. Probably will for the rest of my life. It's a sad legacy of a job I truly enjoyed.

I know you want to get all the hours you can out of the crew but when they are basically working full time hours that's kind of ridiculous. On the other hand there's benefits like a full time job would have to... meh.