Trader Joe's Reviews

• New York City, NY Area
3.8
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

1. One of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Commack, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Fairly flexible in regards to hours
    -considerable room for growth with the company
    -Management works side by side with crew members to improve productivity and efficiency

Cons

-Veterans have tunnel vision in regards to work ethic and how things should be done.
    -Dealing with privileged customers can be a pain

Best places to work in 2012 but not 2015

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still a good place to work in the grocery business, but not by Trader Joes own standards.

Cons

Much more turnover. More stores. Less training. More out of stocks and recalls. TJ philosophy is getting diluted and it shows.

Stop the bleeding before it's too late. At the rate we are going, we will be a typical supermarket in 3-5 years.

3. Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good pay/wages , friendly employees customers are friendly as well

Cons

Not much room for advancement alot of heavy lifting and standing for hours

Keep up the good work :)

5. A great company to work for if you are in college

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Trader Joe's stores have a very friendly atmosphere where even though you are doing physically demanding job but you are still having a good time. The schedule is pretty flexible if you are work for the bigger stores. Health insurance and pension plan come after 4 months or so if you keep working 5 days a week. It's very easy to get transfer from store to store across the country if you are doing a good job.

Cons

It's a very physically demanding job. Crew members are required to lift up heavy boxes up to 40 pounds and break grocery pellets. It's not easy for older employees. The promotion from crew member to mate, from mate to captain is very difficult.

This is a grocery store, don't expect to hang out and drink coffee all day.

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most crew members are nice to work with; mates at my store are friendly and supportive, great captain who is humble enough to work on the floor and to stand in line when shopping for himself, eat with the crew and talk to everyone.

I like that in case of disagreements, the mates or the captain are able to keep an unbiased viewpoint, or so it seems.

I find that the "attendance policy" with warnings etc. is very fair. Serves well, if one has an emergency or a major problem where they can't exactly bring "doctors notes" etc. And the the records of the offences are being erased after 90 days.

Generally speaking, I really like going to work and am looking forward to it (and I am generally a very picky person as far as employers go).

We don't get too many obnoxious or self-entitled customers. Occasionally you'll get them, but that's not a norm.

10% off groceries and booze is nice! So is a 401k plan. (Not sure if I will get a health plan because I am not planning to reach 30 hrs/ week work load.)

Generally speaking, this is a great place to work and I believe that if one has the right personality and will, it's also a great place to be promoted to a mate level. Other than that, yeah, this is a grocery store, the work is physical and it's not paid like if you were a Wall Street banker or a marketing manager. However, I think one can learn different aspects of running a grocery store here for a better than average in industry wage and I think that if someone is looking for a less physical job for more pay, they should just meanwhile look for something more fitting. Many better paying jobs actually require or consider retail experience very important and Trader Joe's is one of the better companies to acquire that experience. My two cents...

Cons

I am nitpicking here, really.

Basically what they want (at least in my store) is part-time workers with full-time workers' commitment in all aspects - time commitment, emotional commitment, dedication and loyalty. That can feel pretty "soul-sucking" or like a "cult", as others have described and is pretty much the reason why I'm rating TJ's with 4 stars. The antidote to this issue is to come in and do the best you can, but have the guard up enough to not be sucked out of your shell at the end of the day.

They emphasize how they value "having life outside work", but it can be problematic to get a particular evening off if you are typically scheduled for closing shifts - even if you have an almost open availability to work at different times of day as well.

Apparently morning shifts are almost exclusively reserved for "seasoned crew members" (people who have worked for TJ's 5+ years) and so are, apparently, for a big part, day shifts.

From what I hear, injuries are common. Do yourself a favor, get decent shoes. You will get run over by crew members with two-wheelers, by customers with shopping carts etc. Also, you should stretch and learn about safe lifting techniques. There is no official training on safety so your best bet is to talk to the "seasoned crew members" who will 99% of the time be open to educate you on one-on-one basis about safety and injury prevention. Although, in the 10-day training everyone will generally talk about safety and if you ask, they will show you how to lift etc. Also - get decent gloves because you will work in frozen section from time to time.

Prepare to over-use a hand sanitizer or come down sick often. Why? Because you will handle cash and many of the "seasoned crew members" have warned that that's where catching a flu comes from. Also - wearing plastic gloves is not permitted at the check-out. (Some customers complained about feeling offended to deal with cashiers who wear gloves a few years ago so they prohibited wearing gloves at the checkout. Not strictly enforced though, from what I see and hear.)

I don't like their confrontation tactics which because I find them intimidating: they will approach you out of blue, lead you outside and confront you and there will always be a "witness" mate with the main person who confronts. I understand why the system makes sense, but just be aware of it as it can get very uncomfortable.

I think, my store is fairly run and the leadership is great. I don't think that Dan Bane's mind regarding the anticipated "Wal-Martization" of Trader Joe's, can be changed via Glassdoor advice. The advice is "Don't", but I doubt he is willing and/ or able to hear that.

Mate (Manager) Role

Current Employee - Mate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mate in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay (make sure you negotiate if you're an outside hire!)

Cons

basic retail cons of weekends and nights

give a little love to your city stores... they're not the same as your suburban stores

upgrade your technology. our inventory & trucking processes somewhat pathetic compared to the rest of our operations.

8. crew

Current Employee - Crew Member in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

great company to work for, overall. the people are amazing, the pay is really good and the amount of work put in is very general and easy, after good training.

Cons

after a year working there, could become less of an exciting job and a lot of the managers get away with micromanaging. sometimes your hard work isn't realized and only the negative.

Great company to work for part time!

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great benefits for part time employees! Starting pay was above average. Great group of people.

Cons

Part time means you won't be able to work over 40 hours per week.

10. Fun culture

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The company culture is very fun and it's great working for a company that sells amazing products

Cons

Not enough locations. Limited middle management positions. No pay increase for taking on additional responsibility such as writing orders.

Offer pay increase or incentives for crew members willing to write orders for products.

I love it.

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great experience to work for.

Cons

Long hours but amazing savings.

Keep up.