Trader Joe's

Updated January 9, 2015
3.5

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a great company that's different than just about anything else out there.

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community of workers. Generally the staff and management have great communication.

Cons

Depending on the store and the manager, the climate of trust and stress can vary a lot.

Listen to the employees and don't

I committed to the company-they cut everything they could.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I liked having an active job where I could use my body and mind simultaneously. Coworkers are for the most part extremely good natured and caring.

Cons

Injuries are rampant, as are safety violations. Safety standards are put in place and then ignored. Concerns raised about safety are routinely ignored. Food safety standards are inconsistent. People are targeted for termination and fired on absurd charges. Benefits have gradually and consistently been cut over the past eight years. Managers who have multiple harassment complaints are transferred from store to store rather than fired. Relationships between managers and subordinates often result in a transfer for the subordinate and no disciplinary action for the manager. There is a glaring lack of female representation in management. Gender discrimination varies from store to store, but manifests most often in duties assigned and rate of pay over time. Crewmembers are told they can be fired for discussing their wage or raises. Raise structure changes about as often as raises are due. There is no consistent process for being able to understand how to earn a raise, and in some cases people are lied to about what would be necessary to earn a raise.

"Sales per person hour" is a phrase not many employees understand if there is high turnover, and they understand even less because they have not seen the number be pushed higher and higher over the years. A big part of my decision to quit was the stress of no longer being able to do my job adequately- along with the latest "restructuring" we have been left with huge gaps in our ability to keep the shelves stocked during the day - we are losing sales while the captain and schedule writer try to keep spph up. The people who care continue to work incredibly fast and hard, putting themselves at risk for injuries. Everyone else sees that it is a lost cause and gives up, just going through the motions (with no accountability, either). Morale is incredibly low. Some of us still remember getting gift cards in the mail at Christmas. That meant so much. I left school at 21 because of the promises this company made me when I agreed to work for them, and not a single one was left by the time I quit. I used to know what every single thing in the store tasted like. There was no tasting program at my store for months, maybe a year, before I quit; I had to tell people continually that I didn't know how a certain product was. It was embarrassing. The continued financial success of the company is practically inevitable, but they are erasing all of the parts that gave it the true structure of a great company, one I originally believed in.

Pretty Decent Job for a Student

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I met some fun people there. Most of my fellow employees were artists, students, and musicians in their 20's. Fun group.

There were steady raises as I went along -- nothing Earth-shattering, but anything helps. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and culture of the company.

Cons

They didn't pay much. I think I started in 2008 making $9.50/hr.

Not much to say here -- I liked the management for the most part. They seemed like fair and thoughtful people. Keep up the good work, Trader Joe's managers.

Changes...

Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great co-workers
    no drug testing
    fully vested in 401k after 6 years
    get to taste new products
    flexible schedules

Cons

used to have great benefits- trimmed down though.
    to many managers- whos the boss?
    job can not be adjusted to accommodate crew members who get injured

actually listen to the crew, not just say you do
    accommodate injured crew members, for longer than the transitional duties allotment

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are some of best around. Health dental vision gym membership. Employee discounts. Free food when tastings are held which is often. Retirement has been reduced. TJ's still has one of the best 401K's around with a 10% free contribution.

Cons

Having to deal with problem customers. Can be physical or freezing sometimes.

Stay connected to your employees. All of them.

a blast..............until mngt that likes

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

coworkers the best people ever

Cons

mngt isnt that great unless youre friends w/ them

stop the nonsens

Excellent Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-great benefits
    -flexible hours
    -10 percent discount

Cons

-turn arounds meaning you are off at 11 pm and have to be back in at 7 am once a week.
    -long hours

-always have a great attitude. It goes a long way

Fun atmosphere, but kills the back.

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The best part about the job is the pay. As a part time crew member, you start around $10/hour and get raises up to a dollar every 6 months. The benefits are really good too.

Cons

The work can be very damaging on the back The stock rooms are usually too small and you have to do awkward lifting. Also, the register leads to repetitive movement which can cause carpel tunnel.

I would recommend focusing more on avoiding injuries. Possibly bring in a physical therapist every 6 months or so to demonstrate how to do the job safely.

Good Change is coming, growing pains first!!!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Good Strong company to work for, pay is good for the job asked of you. I see growing pains, I also see a lot of opportunity if one is willing to work hard and wait.

Cons

They need a better management training program. I work with so many managers that maybe hard workers, but have no idea how to develop people, work through people, and work to build future leaders for Trader Joe's. A company biggest assist is there people, I think as Trader Joe's continues to grow in the market place, it should take a good look at what is going on in side the stores. Trader Joe's have to figure out how to develop, identify and recruit better leaders.

Get a better employee survey together. It gives a very small snap shot of what is really going on and where time and money is being lost. It does not help that by the time you fill it out once a year you may have had leadership change 5 to10 times in your store. Stop moving the problems, try to fix them or move them on!

Crewmember with a future maybe???

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

First and foremost its' a job and lets face it, Portland lacks jobs. Yes, we get benifits and 10% off items in the store. Yes we can request time off with no hassles. It is a relatively easy place to work and the hourly pay is pretty good if you actually get hours.

Cons

Overstaffed store where everyone walks on thin ice avoiding any slip-ups which would result in their hours being cut. Management (mainly the captain) is all smiles and bubbly when the camera is on but behind the scenes she is responsible for all the unhappiness in the store. Favoritism is amazingly obvious. Its not all hugs and cheers for everyone, you gotta be in the "circle".

Please rotate captains more often, we are ready for some real change