Trader Joe's

Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 52 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 64 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Crew -> Mate -> Crew

Current Employee - Crew Member in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great job for those who love food and working in retail. Good pay, great benefits, fun and laid back environment, amazing co-workers, and really a wonderful place to work. Raises twice a year for good performers at Crew level.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Lots of hoops to jump through. Or, just be in the right place at the right time. Captains (bosses) vary in management styles, some MUCH better than others.

Wake up. Great talent is abundant at the store level, but it needs to be nurtured. Help your crew to grow into better workers by enforcing consistency and responsibility among the crew. Create a plan for those on track for success. There are no standards whatsoever here.

Great Career Choice!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Very rewarding professionally and financially!

Cons

Work/ Life balance can be a struggle...

Invert the Pyramid

Great!

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Upward opportunity. Challenging and diverse work opportunities. Flexible schedule. Great customer base.

Cons

Multiple managers--sometimes too many chefs in the kitchen.

Value your employees input more. Don't change the hierarchical structure too quickly.

It's difficult to admit the changes.....

Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down, this is the most enjoyable job I've ever had. The people are great, the management is better than any other retail enviornment that I've ever worked in. We are afforded enough power to make customers happy and do our jobs. The customers are a cut above any other grocer, they are usually more respectful and generally more educated than a regular grocery store. This makes for a much more enjoyable customer service experience. The retirement plan, though reduced over the past few years, is still wonderful in todays market.

Cons

As the company grows, hours are being cut as well as benefits. We once qualified for benefits at an average of 20 hours per week. That limit was bumped up to 30 hours last year and has wrecked havoc amongst its employees. People that once qualified, no longer do and are forced into the government plan which in most cases is much, much more expensive than what we had at work. They are also not as comprehensive as what we once enjoyed. Raises are still generous but nowhere NEAR what they once were. As the company has grown, their generosity decreased.

I understand these are tough times and Trader Joe's still does stand out amongst other retailers. However, you DID cut our benefits. You DID slow our raises down. You DID reduce our retirement. There seems to be no acknowledgement of this. Instead, every few months, I get what I like to call the "aren't you glad I'm your boyfriend?" letters. They tell us how wonderful you all are for providing us with what we have and how well it compares to other companies. That's awesome. I understand these are tough economic times and things everywhere are changing. But stop telling me I shouldn't be unhappy that every quarter I have to worry if I will be able to provide benefits for my family because my hours are cut during the summer, a slow time for us and hours are again cut in winter even though it's busy. If I lose benefits with you, my cost will go up $150 per month through the government plan. That is not an affordable option for me or my family. Your company is growing and it appears to me that as you grow, employee benefits will wane. That is disheartening for me because I love this company. I believe in this company and I don't want to someday have to say that they let me down to the point of having to leave.

Low stress, high energy environment

Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management usually does a good job hiring so your coworkers are nice, normal and happy people. Most of the customers enjoy being there so they're in a good mood too. Management treats you like an adult.

Cons

The work can be physically debilitating. In general terms, management favors men over women because of how physical the job is. Hours are constantly being cut.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyday is different. You don't have to perform the same task all day so it's never boring. Fun environment, great customers and coworkers. Get to try new items as they arrive.

Cons

The varying hours can be challenging. The work is also very physical. The raises are twice a year and usually small.

Be there for your employees and listen to what they have to say.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent retirement package and benefits (though I've heard they since changed to Obamacare), fantastic place to learn customer service skills, perfect part time job if you're going to school as you have a huge variety of hours to choose from. If you're interested in making it a career, there's an opportunity to earn a lot of money. Great place to meet a lot of people and make friends. Chance for a raise often.

Cons

It's customer service so that comes with the obvious set of problems which is mainly: people are crazy and you still have to be nice to them. It's a physical job that's hard on your body and can cause permanent damage if you're not careful. The work is repetitive and can get a little boring. Minor complaints though, this was overall a great job.

Too much time on register makes people crabby.

Cashier

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

good work environment, good hours, nice people and management

Cons

customers, standing on our feet

Great job great benefits

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with great people
    Great Benefits

Cons

No cons really, like most jobs it can be a bit stressfull when it's busy but other than that nothing really to complain about.

Nothing!

Not a bad job for right-out-of-college or between careers.

Current Employee - Sign Artist
    Current Employee - Sign Artist

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is pretty laid-back and friendly. Benefits are good -- dental and vision for working at least 17.5 hours per week, full medical for working at least 30 hours per week -- and the company pays something like 75% of your premium. Paid time off is accrued as you work.

They are pretty flexible about schedules. For the most part, you can decide what days and hours you work.

Cons

There is a major lack of organization and communication within the company. When messages are sent from corporate, they often don't make it all the way through the chain down to the lower employees, or they are really different when they get there. Hence, we will hear different messages from each mate, and I'm sure each store's mates are hearing different messages from each captain.

Each store's art department is expected to find its own equipment and is given a very small budget to do so. Each store's computers and printers are provided by a central office, and most are 10+ year old machines that have been refurbished countless times. Transferring files to or from our computers is extremely difficult, because we can't access any websites except traderjoes.com, and most of the computers have no usb ports. Each store does have its own wifi signal, but its name is kept secret and it is undiscoverable by outside devices.

Regional managers visit the store several times a year and make drastic decisions about our day-to-day operations without good reasons and without really seeing the effects.

Almost everyone is required to work at least one weekend day. There is an "everyone does everything" policy, which mandates that every employee must work at the registers and/or stock merchandise, regardless of department or specialty.

The people in charge at corporate and regional offices need to stop adding bureaucracy, broad safety policies, and broad employee conduct policies. They should trust their employees more. The company is starting to lose the independent, neighborhood co-op feel that made it so original and appealing in the first place. If they aren't careful, Trader Joe's will soon be just another grocery store chain full of disgruntled employees and fake smiles.