Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

good company to work for

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosgreat benefits , great people.

ConsVery physical. Hard to succeed unless you have a good captain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is still too much of "we do this because it is how we always do this".

working here

Crew Member (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood hours good pay started me at 13 and everyone is helpful and willling to give you info.management is nice but can be annoying

Consalot of physical labor so if you are not careful you can hurt your self and customers could be really snappy but over all is wonderful

High expectations

Crew Member (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat Pay! Raises every 6 months as long as you are doing your job. Retirement. Great benefits. Requests time off are usually accepted. They work with you as long as you are a working. If you slack your gone.

ConsHard work. Fast Paced. MUST clock in on time. Always slower in the summer so hours get cut some but they tell everyone to take vacation time. this can be hard for people trying to pay rent. but i tell them to wait tables on the side in the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur captain is great. Listens well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work, Awesome crew, fun people.

Section Leader (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

Prosits a really fast paced workplace, always have something to do, never really truely boring.
    Generally good raises 2 times a year.
    you make a lot of friends/meet a lot of amazing people.

ConsLots of different types of people come through the store, so you do deal with some crazy people from time to time(but thats everyworkplace right?)
    Customers can be pretty entitled and rude sometimes( pretty much like anywhere else)
    Lots of lifting and moving, so if your looking for a desk job look elsewhere!

Advice to Senior Managementgenerally the company is fairly solid, but could definitely use some work on how they give raises and how they hire people at the workplace. Raises should be bases off performance/merit, vs everyone just getting a raise. And they should hire people at generally the same rate. Someone who makes 11 bucks an hour and has been working there for 2 years should not have to train in someone whos been working there for 2 days and making 14(generally not very fair.)

It was a life changing experience. Amazing people who work hard and have fun!

Crew Member (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe health benefits were really good and the company cared about your overall well-being.
    You are always appreciated!
    You were never bored and always busy.

ConsVery labor intensive job! Sometimes work/life balance was a challenge due to extreme work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing! I was very lucky to have supportive and hands-on managment.

A Great Adventure Awaits as A Crew Member!

Crew Member (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros*Pay (highest in the grocery industry)
    *Flexibility particularly for those who are students or hold multiple jobs
    *Diverse group of co-workers
    *Excellent health benefits
    *Fantastic retirement plan
    *WOW! University (training)

Cons*Physically demanding work (if you have back issues, may be difficult to complete tasks efficiently)
    *Lack of consistency among management styles

Great Company

Crewmen (Current Employee) San Rafael, CA

ProsPay is good reviews happen frequently employee discounts

ConsNone really. Very nice place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

trader joes is a great place to work

Mate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgreat people and many great food options. Great management staff who spend much time on the development of the crew.

Conshave to deal with the general public. You don't get to spend much time with your family because you spend so much time at work. You have to do lots of heavy lifting which can quickly run your body down into the ground. You are not compensated well for the amount of time and effort you put in as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you were once a part time employee too.

Great company to work for

Crew Member (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe pay is great, even starting out. There are opportunities for raises every 6 months, having met their criteria for being a stellar employee of course (knowing your job, talking to the shoppers/being friendly, going above and beyond expectations, etc). I met some great friends along the way in the form of coworkers, managers and even the shoppers. Trader Joe's has a family feel to it where everyone is usually jovial who walks in (sometimes too much) Also, there are always new products that come out so taste testing is a regular thing.

ConsIf you don't take care of yourself physically, it's going to be difficult. There are many times where you have to lift heavy things and over time it is taxing. There is the occasional drama that goes on between coworkers and the managers too. Some managers like to play favorites as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job. Just weed out the other managers who aren't in it for the best interest of the company.

Part Time Job While In School

Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsWonderful people at all levels, great benefits and pay by industry standards, 10% discount on everything, generally fun environment, not the hardest job by any means, somewhat flexible with when you want to work, steady pay increases through bi-annual reviews, company culture is supportive of employees, you are active all day which is a big positive depending on how how look at it.

ConsSeems like it can take a very, very long time to enter management without a college degree, not always the most exciting or challenging job.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverybody is too nice sometimes and it creates misunderstanding about expectations and allows people to be lazy.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!