Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits) (in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members (in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place but your body will hate you

Former Employee - Part-time Crew Member  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-time Crew Member in New York, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere was great for the most part. Coworkers are cool but do tend to rotate. Some people stay on for years, some drop out after a few months. The work is hard but rewarding and you get to see just how much work goes into keeping a small supermarket stocked. The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work. You get a discount (but it's pretty puny) and for a foodie who loves their products it was pretty great, especially since you burn so many calories during work that you get to eat like an absolute pig to make up for it. My location (in NYC) saw upwards of 6,000 customers a day from all walks of life. If you can make it in that store you can make it anywhere.

Cons

I worked part time but regularly clocked in at 39 hours a week. I asked for 20 a week when I was hired, and requested to have my hours reduced a bit but it never happened. The work is intensely physical and your body aches all over. Eventually my elbows hurt enough that I went to the doctor who said I had medial epicondylitis. I was put on "light duty" but as this was mostly register work (which is repetitive and is the actual cause of epicondylitis in many supermarket workers) this only exacerbated the problem.
    The following isn't about TJ's so much as the workers comp company they hire: The workers comp rep I had was a monster. Others who dealt with her had the same experiences. Word to the wise: if you deal with workers comp record EVERY call. They will lie and then accuse you of lying. She even changed her name half way through and used several different combinations of the two in our correspondence which was just confusing and unprofessional. Several times I received extra checks because the state comp board saw that they were cheating me and forced them to cough up the dough. Comp Drs covered were a joke, and repeated made paperwork mistakes that delayed my checks (which were less than $50 a week in NYC which is literally less than a panhandler can make in half a day). Several years later and my left arm still hurts. Probably will for the rest of my life. It's a sad legacy of a job I truly enjoyed.

I know you want to get all the hours you can out of the crew but when they are basically working full time hours that's kind of ridiculous. On the other hand there's benefits like a full time job would have to... meh.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work with the best people ever everyone is always so positive

Cons

Everyone gets review around the same time and it's always is the same you don't get recognized for your work solo

Overall positive employee atmosphere, high pressure on management level employees

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Trader Joe's is one of the best places I have worked when it comes to employee treatment - this is to say that they try to treat their employees as humans with consideration to home and family life. They are flexible with your scheduling needs.

Trader Joe's does not get too caught up in appearance in the hiring process. Tattoos and piercings are definitely not a problem. They are looking for intelligent, like-minded individuals. I enjoy working in a crowd of people who are fairly intelligent.

The workday in Trader Joe's is not too monotonous. No one is typically hired for just one function. Everyone stocks, cashiers, etc. The day is broken up into hour-long blocks and you are usually not on one task for too long.

The rate at which they hire employees is largely based on prior experience. This can be a huge benefit to those who do have management experience, but aren't necessarily entering TJ's as a manager. They value the experience and pay you higher rates based on such experience.

Cons

There is certainly heavy-lifting involved. Everyone is expected to do all aspects of the job. So if you are afraid of manual labor, this may not be the place for you.

If you are looking to move up, expect to work here for quite some time. I was hired at a pay rate much higher than most of the people in the "crew" level because of my extensive management experience in previous jobs. However, after having been working here for 4 months, I am no closer to any higher level of responsibility and the general consensus seems to be that it takes 1 year or better before there is any chance of moving up.

As with most retail, if you are part-time, your hours can vary greatly. Summer-time up north is a slow season and your hours can get cut drastically. Don't expect to always have a steady income if you are not a full-time employee.

Management seems to sometimes get a little puffed up and often do not follow through with things. As a manager myself, this is a little irksome because I feel it impacts the trust and respect from the employees, which impacts morale.

Trader Joe's is set on not having too many levels of management, keeping it simple and close-knit for their employees. However, there are a lot of people who stagnate because of this, not having enough opportunity to move up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good part time job on the side

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Shrewsbury, MA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Shrewsbury, MA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

the people and managers are happy

Cons

getting a little too corporate

too many managers

Amazing benefits, long hours, high production expected of you.

Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are great with an ample health and vision insurance, dental is OK. Possible performance bonus once a year and annual generous raises. Passionate employees and well informed and educated customers make the time at work fly by.

Cons

Hours are long and inconsistent. For managers the overtime is what is best but working 49.5 hours/ week can be brutal especially because of the consistent schedule. One day you are working a closing shift and 3 days later you are opening the store. Chances of advancement are slim.

Keep managers closer to home.

Great experience for the inexperienced

Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a practice of hiring crew members for attitude instead of inherent skill. It's groceries, after all. Not rocket science. Crew members are trained in every aspect of the store; from basic stocking practices to more advanced ordering and receiving deliveries. Management always fosters crew development. If you want to move up, you have the opportunity to do so.

Cons

It's a physical job. You're expected to lift heavy cases of all sorts of stuff. Some managers give preferential treatment or micromanage to a fault. It's inevitable but upper management should keep an eye on these individuals. Low morale is a critical issue in such a customer-service heavy job.

Great experience

Current Employee - Mate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, flexible, great people and products. The uniform rocks! Opportunities for everyone willing to bust their butt to get noticed.

Cons

Slow path to earning a fair wage if promoted from within
    Becoming just another giant grocer with lots of competition on the horizon.
    Culture being lost in rapid growth.

Pay people, especially managers who are promoted from within and are your culture keepers what they are worth!

I like working there for the most part.

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)  in  Westwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Westwood, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, they pay a fair wage for the work being done and the health benefits are pretty good. The food is good and they are on the cutting edge of what people want.

Cons

Crazy hours, early mornings late nights and weekends. Very few holidays off, and the customers can be rude at times.

Going to work is like going home!

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people (employees and customers), positive environment, ability to help people, good benefits, learning environment about food..

Cons

Scheduling is a week or less in advance.

Crew member

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member  in  Long Is City, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Is City, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for with management that works with you. Very customer friendly which many other places have forgotten. Once you are employed you have the opportunity to learn just about every job in the store so people are interchangeable. One cool benefit that I liked besides the 10 percent discount was the fact that the company full funded my retirement plan with no employee contributions. That was cool. People from all walks of life work there and the diversity is great.

Cons

If you are looking for mental stimulation then you will not find it. Independent thinkers will go crazy. Since you are dealing with the public, people will be people. There will be some rude customers as well as some that expect you to be a mind reader.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!