Trader Joe's

Updated March 2, 2015
3.5

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Friendly crew members; excellent food and samples; employee discount; good benefits; flexible with your schedule; good pay for retail.

Cons

Hours could vary alot (Example: 4 AM-Noon shift one day and 4 PM-Midnight shift the next day); especially labor intensive during holidays and weekends; cart runs in all weather conditions.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Crew Member in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Austin, TX

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Lots of independence
    Rotating job duties
    Great crew members
    Respectful and excited customers

Cons

Emphasis on high sales per person per hour = overworked
    Section leader isnt a promotion = underpaid

Treat the crew like humans not work horses

Responsible for your own success.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Company and no micromanaging. Responsible for your own success. If you can show up on time, find work to do, make customers happy, and have a general good outlook during the day then you can move up very quickly.

Cons

Have to start at the bottom of the ladder no matter how much experience you have in retail or sales. Hours can be somewhat hard to have a normal family life .

Great

Current Employee - Crew Member in Burlington, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Burlington, WA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great for the crew

Cons

Higher Management are unreasonable to crew

Be good not too bad

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good pay/wages , friendly employees customers are friendly as well

Cons

Not much room for advancement alot of heavy lifting and standing for hours

Keep up the good work :)

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

positive atmosphere, great co-workers, delicious food and the ability to try them, flexible schedule. I love that the store donates the "spoils" to a local food bank.

Cons

Very physical work and sometimes it isn't clear what one should be doing when not at the register. There are some male egos that get in the way.

It is clear that corporate cares about their crew members with great benefits and industry leading hourly salaries. Keep up the positive energy!

Nice clean store/employees.

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Decent benefits fun people to work with.

Cons

It's weight lifting job so expect to move some decent weight.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Merchant in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Merchant in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities are endless here for those who have a positive attitude, work hard, and produce! I love the people I work with.

Cons

I honestly can't think of one.

Continue to promote from within wherever possible. Keep the focus on customer service. This approach is essentially what has made this company the success it is today.

Great place, great people

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The people are so great to work with, usually the night shift is the best. Part Timers have it so well and really the company gives a lot of flexibility.

Cons

hours are kinda set, for early, some mid day or night shifts for part time, and you usually have to work a weekend

Keep it up

It's great if you can get a good captain, otherwise it's just pretty good.

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a relaxed culture where you can be yourself with tattoos, different hair and unique personalities (as long as you're not crabby to the customers or your crewmates). It also has a really good starting salary (especially if you have previous retail experience). As part of the Crew, you don't specialize. You will work ALL ASPECTS OF TRADER JOE'S. Everyone, from the Captain to the Mates (asst. mgrs.) to the Crew, works register, unloads trucks, stocks shelves, greets customers, works Demo (where they give food samples) and cleans up. TJ's stresses product knowledge, so we have food and wine tastings weekly.

AND if you make TJ's your career, you can have a very good life, because the Mates make VERY GOOD MONEY ($50k to $90k) and the Captains ($90k+). It's not brain surgery, folks, but if you like people and are friendly and helpful (and patient with others), you will really like Trader Joe's. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The benefits are good (in CA, 700 hrs a year qualifies you for health insurance) and for those under 30, you get a yearly bonus (but for those over 30, you get the bonus as an IRA contribution).

Cons

Like any job, the job is only as good as its leader, and if you get a crappy Captain or lazy mates, the days can suck. The Captain at my store had 30+ years with the company, but was the most indecisive man I'd ever met. Today this, tomorrow that. It made things confusing. Also some of the Mates came in as managers, so they weren't promoted up from crew. THAT makes a huge difference! The crew would often get angry that they didn't pitch in to help enough due to a perceived sense of entitlement. Then whoever writes the schedule says our sales are low and cuts Crew on the busiest days. We all have to rush around and some have gotten hurt (including me), but we should be grateful to have a job, right?

Those who work smart aren't always rewarded, while those who have been with the company more than five years seem to put their feet up and do as much of the work as they want to. They have the best shifts, yet the majority aren't the best workers. This leads to a cascade effect where work not done or done incorrectly falls on YOU. And like every other job, there is favoritism, but as long as it doesn't affect my money, I don't care.

Oh, and the customers. The majority (85%) are nice, but the others? You have to bite your tongue and be kind when you get insulted, treated rudely or yelled at. Remember: the customer is always right, even if they're a ranting nutjob.

When you see a store that's hemorrhaging Crew Members, take a look at the Captain and Mates. Our store has had so much turnover lately, it's surprising. When I ask Crew at other stores if they lose people frequently, most don't. Oh, and managers-- feel free to COME IN THE STORE and talk to the Crew. We're the grunts on the front line of your image, so check in with us and see how we're doing. Many of us have great ideas for improvements.