Trader Joe's Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.8

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits) (in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members (in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

PT Crewmember

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Awesome people
    Flexible schedule
    Competitive Pay Rate

Cons

Upper management run-around
    Communication breakdown sometimes

Gotta Keep ya headz up!

i love tjs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

everyone does a little bit of everything, so you don't have to be stuck doing one thing for too long. there are food tastings regularly. the benefits are amazing. the people working at tjs are so much fun, especially when the store is closed. you get a ten minute break on top of your 30 minute, which is especially good for smokers (it can be hard to make it over 3 hours without).

Cons

most trader joe's stores are very small, so working on the floor while the store is open can be difficult. trader joe's products often get discontinued, so customers tend to be upset at you when you tell them one of their favorite items got discontinued.

i think the leadership does a great job. most of the fulltimers i have had are very easy to get along with. positive reinforcement should happen more with some of them.

a great place to work

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Hanover, MA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Hanover, MA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

there is a friendly atmosphere, and when you tell someone you work there they get excited and tell you their favorite product. time needed off is just a simple request, and if it is not do-able they help you find other employees that can help you with your shift needs.the employees are willing to help each other out, like a family. the raises are fair, and higher than most other companies. and most of the full timers are willing to listen to you, when there is a problem.

Cons

there are times that the full timers are not on the same page. i think our meetings help with that. although we have been known for our fun atmosphere, our meetings could use more structure and less games.

shopping at trader joe,s is fun for the customer,i think we need to stop moving the product around so much as this frustrates the customer. and they are always complaining about discontinued product.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Change is coming, growing pains first!!!

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Good Strong company to work for, pay is good for the job asked of you. I see growing pains, I also see a lot of opportunity if one is willing to work hard and wait.

Cons

They need a better management training program. I work with so many managers that maybe hard workers, but have no idea how to develop people, work through people, and work to build future leaders for Trader Joe's. A company biggest assist is there people, I think as Trader Joe's continues to grow in the market place, it should take a good look at what is going on in side the stores. Trader Joe's have to figure out how to develop, identify and recruit better leaders.

Get a better employee survey together. It gives a very small snap shot of what is really going on and where time and money is being lost. It does not help that by the time you fill it out once a year you may have had leadership change 5 to10 times in your store. Stop moving the problems, try to fix them or move them on!

crew menber

Current Employee - Cashie/Stocker  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashie/Stocker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Money is good, if you work hard. Great insurance, discount. It really is a fun place to work.In a whole pretty much everyone gets alone well.

Cons

If management was on the same page all the time! When you have 8 to 10 managers in 1 store I think it's too hard for them to keep up with each other and what is going on in their store.

Keep a daliy log, all of you write in it and read it so you know what is going on with the employees, displays, order's, ect. It would be nice to see ALL our managers knowing the same thing.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Flexible schedules, discounts, free food and wine sampling, a retirement program and overall great benefits. Plus, it's a FUN place to work, as long as you are willing to work.

Cons

If you want to advance, you must be willing to move around.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What I think of working for Trader Joe's

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  West Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in West Hills, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

fun environment, good food, good prices, benefits, pay can be good, employee tastings

Cons

Some management is poor at Sr. level, can be low morale, customers seem to be more important than employees.

Concentrate on the morale of your employees. We make your store run. Listen to us more.

I love trader joes

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Castro Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Castro Valley, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The customers! co-workers! and the physical demand! its an all around fun job!

Cons

i cant think of anything

Work hard, do your job, and motivate others to suceed

There are pros and cons to any job.

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Raises with out asking. Descent compensation for work tendered. Most of the management are good people with a few exceptions. Well scheduled breaks and adequate time management.
    Benefits are worth the work. Fairly easy transfers to other TJ locations. Can schedule work shifts around school schedule.
    Learning to work with a lot of different people enables a crew member to grow as a person. Hopefully getting better at communication, and what it means to be proud of a job well done with your crew.
    Sometimes a family-like atmosphere. Depends on the store, and the crew.

Cons

The job can be too demanding at times. A lot is expected of each crew member when some are not capable of the work load.
    Bad days can be really BAD days.
    Gossip.
    Favoritism.
    Lots and LOTS of stress.

Some customers are angry or rude, and take out their anger on anyone they can... especially when a crew member is stuck at a register. Too many hours of this constant disrespect can be too much to take. There should be some sort of Crew member support group or 'program' in each store to help those of us who have difficulty dealing with these unwanted situations. Ask, what can be done to reduce unneeded employee stress.

Working at TJ's is a lot of fun!

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Best supermarket to work for - always having fun with employees and customers.

Cons

The work isn't easy, and you'll be tired at the end of an 8 or 10 hr (with overtime) day.

Raise salaries a little

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!