Trader Joe's

www.traderjoes.com

Trader Joe's Reviews

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

I loved my crew members, customers, and some of the management staff.

Crew Member (Former Employee) West Hartford, CT

ProsAutonomy. Pay. Attire. Relations. Personal growth.

ConsGetting 'too big for their britches.' As I was leaving the structure was changing and I'm not sure I agree with the direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember its a bottom up approach in this field. ALWAYS listen to the crew members, they know what's up!

Great PT job.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsIf you love food, people, and variety, Trader Joe's is fantastic. Your functions change throughout the day, management gives you a lot of autonomy in deciding how to handle situations that come up. Trader Joe's treats employees with respect and gives benefits even to PT employees.

ConsWorking weekends is a must... hard for a family person. Also, if you want to move into management, you have to be willing to move around a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMostly I only have positive things to say. If there were any way to work out the weekend issue and ensure a stable home life (i.e. being able to move into management without moving around geographically) it would be a perfect job!

hard but fun work

Part-timer (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

Prosschedule flexibility, friendly environment, benefits for part time employees

Conspossibility of repetitive stress injuries to back, shoulders, etc

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treat your employees right and they will grow your business.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros-Aweome Pay/benefits
    -Flexible scheduling
    -Wear jeans to work
    -Product tastings
    -Fun crew
    -Family oriented
    -Great learning opportunities for foodies/health-nuts

Cons-Limited growth opportunity unless you're willing to relocate
    -Heavy lifting and on your feet all day
    -Job is NEVER done

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes feels like too many chiefs with all the supervisory roles

Great Place for Part Time

Crew Member (Current Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsExceptional support for people who are proud to work, regardless if it is full time or part time. There is a strong sense of pride in the organization and it flows into the customer experience.

ConsIf you aren't physically fit, it will wear you out. You have to be able to work hard consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication channels open and stay in touch with the part time staff, it is appreciated.

Sweet

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsCo-workers and direct supervisors allow you to really enjoy your job. It is a great place to work while in school.

ConsBesides sometimes long hours and stressful rushes, their is truly no reason not to want to work here for life.

Trader Joe's is a positive and challenging place to work.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe benefits at Trader Joe's far exceeds that of any other company - including for part-time employees. Hard work is expected, but also rewarded with good compensation and a fair amount of autonomy in making decisions within your area and in interacting with customers. Because of this, employees are motivated to work hard and there is very little attrition.

ConsBecause it is retail, employees must be available to work evening and weekend shifts. It is physically demanding and it is not unusual for crew members to deal with various aches and pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you have been doing to make such a great name for yourself. As the company grows and the number of stores increase, do everything possible to keep the small store feeling - no micromanaging, no planograms. And, please, bring back recipes in demo!

Good place to work, as corporations go. Great for students.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsStill privately held, give benefits to any employee working 20hrs/wk.

ConsManagement positions require 50hrs/wk., mandatory transfers to locations up to 50 miles from your home address, sometimes only 8 hours between 10 hour shifts for managers.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood Pay, benefits, and environment

Consmenial work, working with public is often frustrating

Advice to Senior Managementbe less moody

The most fun job. Time flies when you work there.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe environment is very positive overall. It is easy to go there, have a good time, and leave with a clear head.

ConsSometimes it gets very busy in the store and it can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't used to working in constant contact to people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the leadership at Trader Joe's is doing a good job overall. I have no negative feedback for them.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!