Trader Joe's

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Heaven on Earth

Current Employee - Crew Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are very good to there employees. All the equipment is in perfect operating condition. They set reasonable expectations for there employees. You don't become a liability when you start to make good money.

Cons

None compared to other grocery stores I've worked in.

Never go public.

Work hard, play hard.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Cary, NC

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Descent opportunity for advancement. Great Benefits including medical (if you work 31 hours/week on average), dental and optical (21 hours/week), 401K (all employees). Fun corporate culture facilitates strong friendships and camaraderie at work. Extreme store-level independence means rarely dealing with corporate (mostly a PRO, but sometimes a CON). Generous pay scale.

Cons

Store-level independence means you really have to work hard at being liked by management, particularly your captain. Advancement will undoubtedly require you to move, most likely out of state. Grueling work schedules for middle management.

Fun Place, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Sign Artist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sign Artist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Fun co-workers, good benefits, flexiblility

Cons

retail means working weekends and holidays and little respect from clientele

Fast paced and always changing or 'Kaizening.'

Current Employee - Crew Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Discount on groceries and alcohol. Good benefits. Fast pace.

Cons

Full time hours (37.5 per week) are hard to come by in expanding regions. Expect to have a second job. Promotions are given first based on wage, typically at $16 or higher, and then history/experience/skills. Lots of favoritism from management. Stores seem to go through intense hiring phases every two to three years to weed out higher paid employees and replace them with lower paid ones.

Cutting hours from senior stores when new stores open isn't appreciated. Over hiring. Too much turnover. Double bubble raises are completely political. Not consistent hours.

Best retail job out there!

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Glendale, WI
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Glendale, WI

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Very competitive pay. Excellent benefits. Super relaxed and yet energetic atmosphere. Great products.

Cons

Lack of programs for those looking to advance their career. Seems like you literally need to have all the stars aligned in order to make an upward move.

Keep promotions from within whenever possible. Groom your crew to become the future leaders of the store. You have amazing potential sitting right in front of you.

It's difficult to admit the changes.....

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down, this is the most enjoyable job I've ever had. The people are great, the management is better than any other retail enviornment that I've ever worked in. We are afforded enough power to make customers happy and do our jobs. The customers are a cut above any other grocer, they are usually more respectful and generally more educated than a regular grocery store. This makes for a much more enjoyable customer service experience. The retirement plan, though reduced over the past few years, is still wonderful in todays market.

Cons

As the company grows, hours are being cut as well as benefits. We once qualified for benefits at an average of 20 hours per week. That limit was bumped up to 30 hours last year and has wrecked havoc amongst its employees. People that once qualified, no longer do and are forced into the government plan which in most cases is much, much more expensive than what we had at work. They are also not as comprehensive as what we once enjoyed. Raises are still generous but nowhere NEAR what they once were. As the company has grown, their generosity decreased.

I understand these are tough times and Trader Joe's still does stand out amongst other retailers. However, you DID cut our benefits. You DID slow our raises down. You DID reduce our retirement. There seems to be no acknowledgement of this. Instead, every few months, I get what I like to call the "aren't you glad I'm your boyfriend?" letters. They tell us how wonderful you all are for providing us with what we have and how well it compares to other companies. That's awesome. I understand these are tough economic times and things everywhere are changing. But stop telling me I shouldn't be unhappy that every quarter I have to worry if I will be able to provide benefits for my family because my hours are cut during the summer, a slow time for us and hours are again cut in winter even though it's busy. If I lose benefits with you, my cost will go up $150 per month through the government plan. That is not an affordable option for me or my family. Your company is growing and it appears to me that as you grow, employee benefits will wane. That is disheartening for me because I love this company. I believe in this company and I don't want to someday have to say that they let me down to the point of having to leave.

Crew Member

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work as a student. Benefits and flexible hours to work around class schedules. Great people to work with

Cons

Various levels of competency among full timers/management

Great place to work

Current Employee - Section Leader in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Section Leader in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Challenged everyday. If you enjoy hard work, accomplishing goals, meeting fun and interesting co-workers & customers and room to grow you will love to work here.

Cons

A downside for some are the high expectations presented. We work hard and provide excellent customer service. These things are definitely outside of some people's wheel houses.

Communication is always key to having a good work flow.

I love it.

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great experience to work for.

Cons

Long hours but amazing savings.

Keep up.

It's too bad about what's happening to the veteran employees.

I have been working at Trader Joe's (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits if you can keep your hour above 785 per every 6 month period. Everyone is responsible for a variety of tasks around the store, so you're not stuck doing the same task day in and day out. Active job, so it doubles as getting exercise for some. Pleasant coworkers.

Cons

Job injuries are frequent, due to being an active job. Poor store communication between management. Customers can act very entitled.

Communication is key.