Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

4.0

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent part-time job with above average pay when you cap out at payscalae

Former Employee - Crew Member in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Ventura, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Best reasons to work at TJ's is flexible hours, and decent pay for what you do great Part time job for students and people who want to work with little responsibility-other than showing up, cashiering and stocking. Easy going place to work.

Cons

The full-timers are manager's who for the most part are uneducated and got promoted based on doing being friends with the Captain or first mate. No formal training program for them it's a sink or swim baptism by fire management program. They shoul be more elective recruiting college grads who have taken courses in leadership, management, and human resources. They fail epically in that area

Formalize a management training program-

Absolutely the best retail Job, hands down

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Everyone always asks why the employees are so happy at TJ's; it's because they treat their employees extremely well. Great pay, great benefits, and a great atmosphere to work in. Plus they sell delicious food at low prices, so you believe in the product you are selling - which makes the job easy! Best of all, you get pay reviews on a consistent schedule. I think this is key. You know where you stand at all times. They let you know the areas you need to improve, plus praise your areas of strengths, which motivates you to perform well. I can't say enough good things about this company. It's ideal for students because they work around your schedule and are very supportive. This job got me through my bachelors degree and masters degree. I have since left to enter my field of study, but I'll always be a loyal customer and proudly sing my praises of being a former employee.

Cons

I've worked at several different stores and sometimes, unfortunately, managers have their favorites and those individuals are given better shift preferences, but hey, that's true no matter where you work. As long as you work hard and prove yourself, I've found that in time you make it up the ladder no matter where you work within this company.

Management is slowly becoming more and more corporate as the years go on - just don't forget your carefree roots of being a laid back, non-beurocratic company - its what made you great!!!

Great place to shop, not a great place to work.

Current Employee - Crew Member in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Crew Member in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great pay and great benefits. The training, at least when I started, was better than any I received at other retail jobs. There are also a lot of opportunities for fun with coworkers and bonding. The food is great and the discount is nice.

Cons

You most likely will get injured. Most of the people in my store have gotten injured at some point, including myself. Hours are highly variable and advancement is dependent upon favoritism rather than hard work. Management turnover compounds these problems.

Regionals should pay more surprise visits rather than announcing their arrival to the Captain if they want to get a true idea of how their stores are really looking and running. Listen to part-timers since they have less of a vested interest in telling you what you want to hear and more motivation to be honest.

There are three things you need when you punch in. Name badge, cutter and FUN!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

There are so many good reasons. Everybody does everything. You rarely get bored. Customers are usually great because they enjoy the shopping experience. Food and wine tasting occur weekly,to help with product knowledge.

Cons

Managment gets moved around at least once a year which sometimes can be difficult,having to break your new bosses.

Good

Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

They treat crew members great and allow for time off when needed. Flexible schedule good pay and allow for advancement within the company.

Cons

Very physically demanding job very customer service oriented work alot of hours. Nothing else notable that I can think of.

Fun atmosphere, but kills the back.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The best part about the job is the pay. As a part time crew member, you start around $10/hour and get raises up to a dollar every 6 months. The benefits are really good too.

Cons

The work can be very damaging on the back The stock rooms are usually too small and you have to do awkward lifting. Also, the register leads to repetitive movement which can cause carpel tunnel.

I would recommend focusing more on avoiding injuries. Possibly bring in a physical therapist every 6 months or so to demonstrate how to do the job safely.

10 years of experience here

Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Solid pay for a retail job, benefits, yearly IRA contributions, paid time off and work with a great mix of people.

Cons

Terrible hours as in working till midnight and coming back at 6 am. Or coming into work as early as 3am. Getting promoted isnt about whos the hardest worker, its who is the biggest brown noser

Good company. Bad management

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The pay at trader joes is very good. 2 reviews a year are a good thing as well as health insurance. The job is very easy for the pay received.

Cons

Trader joes is a wonderful company, but they need to take a good look at who they are promoting, and who Is running the stores. It's very easy for a store to look good for 5 minutes when the regional comes in. The drama is not escapable. In my stores case it's the management that causes it. Feedback is horrendous and The management tends to either wait for your reviews or cut your hours before they give you feedback. The hours are inconsistent and can change drastically week to week. Especially if you are not a favorite. As with my store management is very unprofessional. And with the many complaints I've heard nothing has been done.

Let your workers do their job and go home. It shouldn't be as hard to avoid drama but it is when management causes it. Oh and don't take new hires if you can't give your current people hours.

super

Former Employee - Part-timer in Pikesville, MD
    Former Employee - Part-timer in Pikesville, MD

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

happy employees
    great communication
    great pay
    great benefits
    lots of opportunity to move up

i would definitely suggest working at trader joe's

Cons

not very many cons. if you have a positive personality and are laid back, not phased by much, then you will do great

keep up the good work. everyone at the pikesville store is top notch and i am happy to say i worked with such upstanding folks

Disillusion to the masses

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Most of the people you work with are moderately cool and talented.
    You get an hour lunch break, and a discount.
    Most of the food offered is delicious and at reasonable prices.
    Some of the customers are really fun to chat with, humorous and interesting.
    Decent starting wage.
    Moderate benefits package.
    Tasting allow for you find out more about the quality of products and what you can par them with.
    You learn quite a bit about cooking, food, and dining from coworkers and customers.
    Yes, all of the signs are made right at the store.
    The tasting station is open as long as the store is and always has something new to try.

Cons

Management is totally disorganized, and under qualified, never expect praise for the work you do. You get the feeling that you can always be replaced at any time.
    Taking a bathroom break is almost a sin against god.
    Yes managers do play favorites with part time people.
    You are constantly called off your break to resume 'register' duties.
    10 or 15 minute breaks are non existent, which might be illegal in NY?

You have no idea what to tell people about the food they are eating, I still have no idea where our dairy comes from or produce or anything really in the entire store.
    Everything just says Monrovia, CA on it. Which can't be possible, Its a warehouse building. No one seems to know where the stuff comes from. The little stories in the Fearless Flyer seem totally shaddy and almost distracting to the point.

The wage is not ground breaking, considering how much money these stores are making on daily basis in NYC. Most of my co-workers are collecting public assistance, in some form or another.

You do get benefits working on part-time, but you wont be able to afford them if you only work part time 20-25 hrs per week. Also you are part time even if you work up and including your 39th hour of work. Which I am sure is some kind of shady lingo tip toe around employment regulations.

Actual training for your Full Timers, weed out the ones with personality disorders. Real promotions to people who deserve them. Real training for part time employees.