Trader Joe's Reviews

super

Former Employee - Part-timer in Pikesville, MD
    Former Employee - Part-timer in Pikesville, MD

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

happy employees great communication great pay great benefits lots of opportunity to move up i would definitely suggest working at trader joe's

Cons

not very many cons. if you have a positive personality and are laid back, not phased by much, then you will do great

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. everyone at the pikesville store is top notch and i am happy to say i worked with such upstanding folks

Absolutely the best retail Job, hands down

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Everyone always asks why the employees are so happy at TJ's; it's because they treat their employees extremely well. Great pay, great benefits, and a great atmosphere to work in. Plus they sell delicious food at low prices, so you believe in the product you are selling - which makes the job easy! Best of all, you get pay reviews on a consistent schedule. I think this is key. You know where you stand at all times. They let you know the areas you need to improve, plus praise your areas of strengths, which motivates you to perform well. I can't say enough good things about this company. It's ideal for students because they work around your schedule and are very supportive. This job got me through my bachelors degree and masters degree. I have since left to enter my field of study, but I'll always be a loyal customer and proudly sing my praises of being a former employee.

Cons

I've worked at several different stores and sometimes, unfortunately, managers have their favorites and those individuals are given better shift preferences, but hey, that's true no matter where you work. As long as you work hard and prove yourself, I've found that in time you make it up the ladder no matter where you work within this company.

Advice to Management

Management is slowly becoming more and more corporate as the years go on - just don't forget your carefree roots of being a laid back, non-beurocratic company - its what made you great!!!

3. Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Good Pay, benefits, and environment

Cons

menial work, working with public is often frustrating

Advice to Management

be less moody

5. The most fun job. Time flies when you work there.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The environment is very positive overall. It is easy to go there, have a good time, and leave with a clear head.

Cons

Sometimes it gets very busy in the store and it can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't used to working in constant contact to people.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership at Trader Joe's is doing a good job overall. I have no negative feedback for them.

Trader Joe's is a positive and challenging place to work.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The benefits at Trader Joe's far exceeds that of any other company - including for part-time employees. Hard work is expected, but also rewarded with good compensation and a fair amount of autonomy in making decisions within your area and in interacting with customers. Because of this, employees are motivated to work hard and there is very little attrition.

Cons

Because it is retail, employees must be available to work evening and weekend shifts. It is physically demanding and it is not unusual for crew members to deal with various aches and pains.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you have been doing to make such a great name for yourself. As the company grows and the number of stores increase, do everything possible to keep the small store feeling - no micromanaging, no planograms. And, please, bring back recipes in demo!

Great Place for Part Time

Current Employee - Crew Member in North Wales, PA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in North Wales, PA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Exceptional support for people who are proud to work, regardless if it is full time or part time. There is a strong sense of pride in the organization and it flows into the customer experience.

Cons

If you aren't physically fit, it will wear you out. You have to be able to work hard consistently.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication channels open and stay in touch with the part time staff, it is appreciated.

Treat your employees right and they will grow your business.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

-Aweome Pay/benefits -Flexible scheduling -Wear jeans to work -Product tastings -Fun crew -Family oriented -Great learning opportunities for foodies/health-nuts

Cons

-Limited growth opportunity unless you're willing to relocate -Heavy lifting and on your feet all day -Job is NEVER done

Advice to Management

Sometimes feels like too many chiefs with all the supervisory roles

Great PT job.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

If you love food, people, and variety, Trader Joe's is fantastic. Your functions change throughout the day, management gives you a lot of autonomy in deciding how to handle situations that come up. Trader Joe's treats employees with respect and gives benefits even to PT employees.

Cons

Working weekends is a must... hard for a family person. Also, if you want to move into management, you have to be willing to move around a lot.

Advice to Management

Mostly I only have positive things to say. If there were any way to work out the weekend issue and ensure a stable home life (i.e. being able to move into management without moving around geographically) it would be a perfect job!

RSS Feed </> Embed