Trader Joe's

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Highest paying, most positive atmosphere, and easiest retail/grocery job I've ever had by far

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, caring environment, positive atmosphere, high salary, constant learning experience, non-routine, extremely team-oriented

Cons

Sadly the company places all emphasis for promotion/raises on presence and exact punctuality rather than quality of work.

Great job great benefits

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with great people
    Great Benefits

Cons

No cons really, like most jobs it can be a bit stressfull when it's busy but other than that nothing really to complain about.

Nothing!

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has Great benefits

Cons

Not too much of a career

No need to Micromanage

Soul-sucking Grocery Store that operates like a religious cult

Former Employee - Crew Member in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Newark, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Main positive is that this company gave me a job in a tough economy. Pay was okay compared with other grocery store jobs, but still not enough to live on comfortably. Work was physically demanding, so I got in shape and gave up my gym membership.

Cons

This company went downhill after the original owner died. They hired a new CEO and started treating employees like garbage by taking away their health insurance and creating more and more arbitrary and nonsensical rules to make work difficult. The place is very cultish as well…it was as if many of my co-workers had drank the proverbial "Kool-Aid" and didn't realize the obvious…that they were working in a grocery store that sells designer food to self-entitled rich people. I firmly believe that most employees had some sort of mental illness and were working there as a result, since many had college degrees.

Give back the health insurance benefits and other perks that you stole from your employees. Pay a living wage. Make it easier to advance within the company. Get over yourself and stop acting like a cult.

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Raises twice a year
    Many food/wine tastings
    Decent Health Insurance for those working on average 30 hours/week
    Great people to work with
    Safe environment
    Paid time off

Cons

As a crew member, hourly pay capped at around $21 an hour
    Slowly making cuts to overall benefits but looking to improve on those again

More advice to CEO: promoting from within is better than taking others from the outside. Go back to the Trader Joe's tradition of doing that.

It's a great company that's different than just about anything else out there.

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community of workers. Generally the staff and management have great communication.

Cons

Depending on the store and the manager, the climate of trust and stress can vary a lot.

Listen to the employees and don't

Awesome Place to work

Current Employee - Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They split up your job duties every hour to make day go by quicker. Fun and efficient atmosphere.

Cons

Some of shifts were way to early in the morning,

Keep up the good work.

Fun and great company to work with!

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

wonderful company to grow with
    pay is goode
    everyone is so positive and happy

Cons

very competitive to become a higher position

In desperate need of diversity, good balanced leadership & an emphasis on updating.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

10% discount on decent already cheap booze, carbs; nitrate free meats; tasty hummus, good mineral water spritz prices, good coffee, sample anything; emphasis on reusable or paper bags -- no plastic bags used anywhere.

Cons

Scheduling is rife with poor communication and inaccessible management adding to the frustration are back-to-back shifts like closing then opening then closing then opening that contribute to poor health, sleep depravation, which in turn causes everything to suffer, least of all the people. TJ's uses a 2 star rated iPhone only app -DayForce- for employees to request vacation, sick leave, etc. The only other way is to track down the singular manager responsible for scheduling at least a 2 weeks in advance to place a request. There're are no TJ afforded/addressed emails to management that could expedite this process and good luck reaching anyone if you're sick and have to open at 5am. It's the most antiquated systems I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

All employees were forced to use our/their own cell phone data to fill out post hire documentation --wifi is available, but kept greedily from employees & the hiring process. Out-of-date cheap training materials & computers give off the distinct atmosphere of a 2 bit bodega & not the image of the fastest growing "children of god-esque" replica... ahem, grocery store in America.

A 2 hr orientation took 6 hours due to ridiculous needless miscommunication, inexperience, a nonexistent HR, constant technical failures (inadequate computing power aforementioned) & interruptions as there was no space separate from the 100+ degree break room to process new hires. The introductory training content & direction were disgustingly condescending at best.

Scheduling & pay were after thoughts & addressed half heartily at the end of the day.

My favorite ridiculous-ism was the non-confident assertion that "integrity" was, "...just about being nice to people and stuff..." - Manager

The GM (Captain) was so socially awkward, he made the others look adequate, when they were just as bad.

There was an overwhelming sense of false/faux equal treatment for equal work with the white men holding the highest positions & wielding the most control & power, while the female higher ups (all 2 to the men's 7 @ least) were constantly abrasive, unprofessional & defensive as if they had had enough of inaction to right the proverbial ship of obvious inequalities & were determined to react irrationally at or around anyone anytime no matter the reason, nor the company kept & that included in front of the glassy eyed patrons, whose questions went unanswered, irritatingly passed off, or were given completely false & concocted out-of-thin-air responses that presented TJs in the angelic light the kool-aid drinkers with their purple stained lips thought it deserved.

An overall poor performance from the top down -- I came home bewildered & wondering if all the red flags had been shown or if it was just a really bad day at the park. Sadly, I should've walked away. While not tasting the kool-aid, a glass was poured and I kept it on ice. In my case I got out before I was forced to drink it.

For a place that wants to be considered a family of friends, it fails on almost every level through forced, coerced, fake & out-of-date methods that actually give off the impression that it IS all just an act. No one cares. The company is cheap. The equality is fake. The trust is paper thin. There is no integrity above "...just being nice to people and stuff..."

Read the cons and fix them. Focus on diversifying by race/ethnicity & gender (@ the very least) both crew and mates/captain. Take notice of skill sets and place employees accordingly -- it's one thing to have a crew that can do everything & quite another to have a crew that enjoys & is good at doing everything -- most are drawn to particular roles and those roles should be witnessed early-on and exploited if so desired by all parties. That way people like their jobs with the exception of management who need to be willing to pick up the slack in every area. I think this goes to the schedule which is a hot mess to say the least. The answer to avoiding 9 hours of bathroom duty is not breaking up an adult employee's day w/2 hrs here, 2 there and so on. It's demeaning and doesn't allow one to get any sort of rhythm, nor satisfaction.
    Don't be cheap! Fix intolerable break room temperatures. I'm sure there's a way to put a wall unit in there.

Gallagher Bassett Worker's Comp Insurance Is TERRIBLE! Good luck if you get injured on the job.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great and fun to be around. You can transfer to other stores and help open other stores if you are in a growing area. If you go in as a transfer to another store, don't go in like you run the place and start bossing people around, it just makes you unwelcome and then no one likes you. You don't need to prove you know what you are doing by being critical to everyone else. In addition to that you're NOT in a position of authority so remember that. We've had a few too many of those at our store.

Cons

Very physical back breaking work. If you get hurt on the job, which you probably will, you will have to deal with the WC insurance Gallagher Bassett. I've never gotten the proper medical treatment for my issue and it takes 1-2 months just to get any type of pain relief approved. Just horrible. The good news is if you have a great crew everyone will help you out when you need it.

Careful who you promote. Too many druggies, half wits and power crazy b's, are in those positions. Our store has gotten a bit better but we still have a couple that should not be there.