Trader Vic's Reviews

Updated April 24, 2014
Updated April 24, 2014

2.1

David Carter

Great waiting experience, had an excellent manager who willing to work with employees and flex schedule.

Former Employee - Wait Staff  in  Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Trader Vic's part-time for less than a year

Pros

clean, interesting food and history, fun, flexible scheduling, try to help as much as possible.

Cons

far away from home, sometimes the employees could be tempermental, chef tempermental, some customers not satisfied.

compensation, personal growth in company

They've lost control of their Franchise and Brand

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trader Vic's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved my co-workers! Because it was such a revolving door, I had the opportunity to meet tons of smart, talented, and interesting people. Although we were taken advantage of and cheated out of our hard-earned money, we stuck together and tried to remain loyal and positive. There were a few corporate-appointed managers that came in and out of our doors that truly cared about adhering to the Trader Vic's brand and that gave me hope that my particular location would survive, but they were short-lived. I fell in love with Trader Vic's years ago because no matter where you went in the world, I could order the same Mai Tai that brought up happy memories of my childhood.

Cons

The owners of the Trader Vic's Los Angeles at LA Live are a bunch of crooks. They opened their franchise in May 2009 and it closed abruptly in March 2014. I worked there the entire time and I witnessed stealing, lies, and cheating. They cut corners in order to put more money into their own pockets and remain above water. Employees were never offered any benefits or insurance and they got around that by cutting hours or letting people go. They altered the menu and traditional drinks (generic rum and no Mai Tai concentrate for the last 2 years I worked there) to suit the demographics of the location and that hurt the Trader Vic's brand that people loved and cherished for over 75 years. It was sad to see such an iconic place sink at the hands of these individuals. I blame corporate for not keeping a closer eye on these people. I woke up one day without a job after giving my time and service for 5 years. It's unfair and very unfortunate. Generations today will not be able to appreciate what Trader Vic's really is because of this franchise location and it's owners.

I advise you all to keep a closer eye on your franchises and have a corporate secret shopper team that visits these franchises and ensures that these business owners are adhering to the values and brand of Trader Vic's. It is not enough to conduct a 2 week long training course and then leave the owners up to their own devices. I applaud you for shutting down the location and taking back your name, but 5 years is too long to wait and hard-working employees are left in the dark.

Worked for Trader Vic's? Contribute to the Community!