Tradesmen International

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph Wesley

Pros
  • Quick advancement and opportunities to make good money(in 4 reviews)

• The opportunity is there for you to make good commissions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cell phone allowance and car expenses not bad, but not great(in 5 reviews)

• Poor commission structure (10% on gross proffit) So if you do(in 5 reviews)

Skilled trades for hire

Technician (Electrical/Fire Alarm) (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThey will keepthey will keep the jobs wrong and the jobs rolling in.

ConsTemp agency but they have benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep them coming.

WORST JOB EVER

Field Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere is absolutely nothing appealing about this position.

ConsEVERYTHING. BASE BLOWS. TRY GETTING BY ON 30K A YEAR. ALSO, you can get fired at will. Terrible company with terrible management.

Advice to Senior Managementsuck it

Horribly unrewarding...ridiculous pay

Field Representative (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI'll have to get back to you

ConsHours of driving a day, cold calling, dealing with "C-D" level construction workers...If these guys have to work for a temp service then there is something wrong with them....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over selling your services

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temp agency with poor ethics!

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsThere isn't much to say except there is some
    Flexibility. Some roles in office give you the flexibility you may need. The field employees are generally a pleasure!

ConsCrappy pay, 0 staffing model. Dishonesty is unethical, management is selfish and greedy. Bonus pay doesn't structure around your work but the teams work, if sales aren't up and management doesn't collect your "bonus" doesn't exist. Accountability isn't there, also there are inappropriate behavior in the workplace like violent yelling, drinking, poor I-9 compliance . They promise to employ tradesmen full time
    Then can't get them work. They will hire tradesmen working full time to in exchange work temp,
    Then fire them and ignore calls
    When work is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow up!

POOR COMPANY

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bayonne, NJ

ProsTheir are no pros for this company

ConsThey will reject you as a hire even after you have clearance from a doctor. Don't bother unless you like wasting time and money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new health care facility to do physicals. I strongly feel I was rejected for employment because of my health. Even after I had my own physicians clearance, and was never contacted again for any employment. discrimination doesn't end with skin color.

Freedom to sink or swim.

Field Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe best perk of the job is the potential to qualify for the sales trips. These trips are 5 star all the way. Once you qualify once, you will be addicted.

The harder you work, the more money you can make. It takes time, dedication, and a positive attitude. The structure is in place to allow you to be successful. This position relies on three things.

1. Client Relationships
    2. A dedicated recruiter
    3. A manager that is aware of his team's strengths and weaknesses.

If you build a strong trusting relationship your clients will understand exactly what it takes to provide them the quality they are requiring.

A dedicated recruiter will not be watching the clock. They will be spending their time efficiently to find the highest qualified craftsmen for the job. The recruiter has to communicate with the field rep on what realistic pay rates are so that can be voiced to the client. The clients will learn the consequences of paying peanuts very quickly...

Lastly the Management. They have to support their team. They have to work just as hard and be aware of all operations. If the manager assemble a team that they trust, everyone will make money.

ConsBase salaries are too low. I understand the need to encourage people to work hard to make a commission, that is in all sales jobs.
    The issue is the recruiters. The sales team can not provide what they are selling without a reliable recruiter in their corner. The recruiters need a 10k pay raise. This will improve recruiting nationwide.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefit options, Employees are willing to pay more if the coverage is there.
    Pay the recruiters better and offer them trips similar to the sales trips.

Inconsistent work, poor management, and unsafe conditions for crappy pay.

Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsNo obligation to any one contractor

ConsMany of my fellow employees are signed up with this company to get on the big jobs that union shops typically get. Tradesmen does nothing to advocate for us when we get screwed over by one of their customers. It is obvious that they care only about the commission they get from the contractors they send us to. It wouldn't be so bad if they paid at least as much as the union guys get in this area but they don't even come close, or at least the amount we get doesn't come close. Maybe what the contractors pay Tradesmen to send us out adds up to as much or more than union wage, but what we get pales in comparison.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't act like you value your workforce. We are a commodity that you exploit and you should at least be honest about that. I heard a rumor that we can organize a union for Tradesmen employees. Maybe then we'll get the respect, safety, and pay we deserve. I know I would sign a card if I met a union organizer.

Temporary Journeyman Electrician

Journeyman Electrcian (Former Employee) Lyman, WY

ProsThey have put me to work when I really was at my wits end seeking employment. Some projects have paid very well. Big projects for big clients pop up occassionally.

ConsThe projects are far between. The licensing requirement can be difficult to meet--and the worker has to get his/her own and pay for it themselves. The recruiters (especially for travelers) have a tendency to put the cart before the horse. In their attempt to send you off to distant projects they have sent you there many times without you being allowed to stay and earn any money. You have to pay your own travel expenses. Perdiem kicks in after you earn hourly pay. I have been sent to at least four jobs in 3.5 years where when I got there I was told that I could not stay and work due to a job prerequisite (licensing I was not told I needed, knowledge ahead of time of a clients specific company safety policy that I did not have, a drug test in hand that I did not have, and once to a location 1,500 miles away where I was told the client desperately needed me immediately and when I left at once and got there I went through their safety orientation and passed and also passed their company drug and alcohol test and then was sent 150 miles to the jobsite where I was told to start work that day for a foreman that was waiting for me only to get there and be told by that foreman over the phone that he was not there all day and that the jobsite was shut down and then to be told by Tradesmen office management that I would not be paid for going to the company's office nor their jobsite nor anything at all for my travel time and expenses. Outrageous!!! And, of course if something backfires it tends to be automatically be blamed on the worker--what is their promised arbitration?

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen it works it works very well, but there are too many times when the cart is put before the horse and it all backfires with me being left out in the cold with no pay.

Sexist, misogynist, low-paying company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to develop good contacts. Use them to find another job, unless you are male and some kind of manager, in which case you'll be just fine if you are aiming low and are happy to play ball.

ConsPlenty. #1 NO trust. You're an employee, but you are still not to be trusted. No transparency, conflicting messages/instructions, low pay, no perks, sexist, misogynist, disrespectful to employees. I worked with people who routinely made fun of other employees down to their appearance and ethnic origin, in front of them and also others. Three levels of upper management laughed and said that was OK. Flagrant sexism practiced by male managers while the (few) teeth-gritting female managers play ball around them. Cultivates an atmosphere of "corporate tells us one thing, but our office does it differently." That works until your manager throws you under the bus for something s/he approved of and condoned her/himself. If you like good pay, any kind of praise or recognition, being given proper tools to do your job, gratification in your work, fair and transparent commission structure, managers you can learn from, and an employer you can trust.... run away fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter - whatever Joe Wesley wants, Joe gets, including his management team of horses' behinds.

Money isn't the greatest

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWorking "in the field" by seeing your clients, building relationships, and business planning were great experiences in B2B sales.

ConsThe commission structure is poor unless you generate large volume of business. On top of that you don't see money off the business you generate until the client pays their invoice, the longer they take you lose a certain percentage of your commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay sales people for the business they generate when it is written up. Making the sales staff wait and potentially lose large parts of their commission takes away motivation.

Worked for Tradesmen International? Contribute to the Community!