Tradesmen International

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014

2.3

Joseph Wesley

Pros
  • Quick advancement and opportunities to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• The opportunity is there for you to make good commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cell phone allowance and car expenses not bad, but not great (in 5 reviews)

• Poor commission structure (10% on gross proffit) So if you do (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Inconsistent work, poor management, and unsafe conditions for crappy pay.

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tradesmen International part-time for more than a year

Pros

No obligation to any one contractor

Cons

Many of my fellow employees are signed up with this company to get on the big jobs that union shops typically get. Tradesmen does nothing to advocate for us when we get screwed over by one of their customers. It is obvious that they care only about the commission they get from the contractors they send us to. It wouldn't be so bad if they paid at least as much as the union guys get in this area but they don't even come close, or at least the amount we get doesn't come close. Maybe what the contractors pay Tradesmen to send us out adds up to as much or more than union wage, but what we get pales in comparison.

Don't act like you value your workforce. We are a commodity that you exploit and you should at least be honest about that. I heard a rumor that we can organize a union for Tradesmen employees. Maybe then we'll get the respect, safety, and pay we deserve. I know I would sign a card if I met a union organizer.

Sexist, misogynist, low-paying company

I worked at Tradesmen International

Pros

Opportunity to develop good contacts. Use them to find another job, unless you are male and some kind of manager, in which case you'll be just fine if you are aiming low and are happy to play ball.

Cons

Plenty. #1 NO trust. You're an employee, but you are still not to be trusted. No transparency, conflicting messages/instructions, low pay, no perks, sexist, misogynist, disrespectful to employees. I worked with people who routinely made fun of other employees down to their appearance and ethnic origin, in front of them and also others. Three levels of upper management laughed and said that was OK. Flagrant sexism practiced by male managers while the (few) teeth-gritting female managers play ball around them. Cultivates an atmosphere of "corporate tells us one thing, but our office does it differently." That works until your manager throws you under the bus for something s/he approved of and condoned her/himself. If you like good pay, any kind of praise or recognition, being given proper tools to do your job, gratification in your work, fair and transparent commission structure, managers you can learn from, and an employer you can trust.... run away fast.

Doesn't matter - whatever Joe Wesley wants, Joe gets, including his management team of horses' behinds.

Money isn't the greatest

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working "in the field" by seeing your clients, building relationships, and business planning were great experiences in B2B sales.

Cons

The commission structure is poor unless you generate large volume of business. On top of that you don't see money off the business you generate until the client pays their invoice, the longer they take you lose a certain percentage of your commission.

Pay sales people for the business they generate when it is written up. Making the sales staff wait and potentially lose large parts of their commission takes away motivation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Paced Great Company

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Something new every day, great staff and employees to work with,

Cons

Work/Life balance, long hours during peak times

incompetent management system

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were absolutely no good reasons to work for this company, unless you enjoy going to Cleveland for conferences. If you do have the good fortune of making the million dollar sales club, the sales trip was usually a very nice reward.

Cons

If you make too much in sales they figure out how to reduce your commission. The sales territories and and local commission structures are sketchy. The use of the sales tracking tools are used to depress the sales force rather than train them. The sales conferences are amazingly useless and wrought with boring speakers.

Hire a local managerial team that has construction experience - not grocery store management!

It's been good, wish the work was more ready available

Current Employee - Carpenter  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Carpenter in Troy, MI

I have been working at Tradesmen International part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you know your job they will keep you on call

Cons

Work is too far in between

Keep your good guys busy

My experience was average. it was a means to an end, definitely not a career.

Former Employee - Laborer  in  Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Laborer in Portage, MI

I worked at Tradesmen International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

good pay if you are able to get on prevailing wage jobs.

Cons

i found that most of my co-workers were under-qualified.

make the interview process more demanding.

Run away.....quickly

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the co-workers warned me immediately about the place being so screwed up. They were correct.

Cons

Management is pretty sad, training in Cleveland lands you a strange roommate for a week in a hotel room, training itself is pretty lame, mileage reports were completely made up and management knew and participated. Construction workers were usually bottom of the barrel and would not show up for assignments. I was told to white out parts of a contract that was signed by a client and copy it for our files sent to corporate......this was instructed by an area manager. You never know what the commission is going to be due to unknown factors only controlled by corporate. They are the most expensive company by far and for what reason? Way to much hide the wienie.

Get some decent branch managers who have some sort of sales skills themselves. Too many of them were promoted in a few months time cause the guy they are replacing had sense enough to bail. Pay attention to the sales people

Great Service

Current Employee - Carpenter  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Carpenter in Madison, WI

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, keep you working, pay better than any other job if you aren't a craftsman, diversity

Cons

lack of communication with employess in the office and those in the field. (feels like you're working for the man"

Explain to field employees more regularly why Tradesman is NOT a staffing service and it has immense benefits. i.e being able to work at other job sites if you get canned, why field employees don't get ludacrisly high wages (which seem to be expected for some reason), and why the service of providing consistent employment is the greatest benefit of the job.

As shady as a temp agency can be.

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice brochures and promotional marketing budget.

Cons

Low salary, no company car, typical rah-rah sales training program.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Worked for Tradesmen International? Contribute to the Community!