Tradesmen International

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.6

Joseph Wesley

Pros
  • Quick advancement and opportunities to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay after you build a territory (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• No work life balance, pay is below industry average, will tell you what they think you want to hear to keep you (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Horribly unrewarding...ridiculous pay

Former Employee - Field Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'll have to get back to you

Cons

Hours of driving a day, cold calling, dealing with "C-D" level construction workers...If these guys have to work for a temp service then there is something wrong with them....

Stop over selling your services

POOR COMPANY

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bayonne, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bayonne, NJ

I worked at Tradesmen International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Their are no pros for this company

Cons

They will reject you as a hire even after you have clearance from a doctor. Don't bother unless you like wasting time and money.

Find a new health care facility to do physicals. I strongly feel I was rejected for employment because of my health. Even after I had my own physicians clearance, and was never contacted again for any employment. discrimination doesn't end with skin color.

Temporary Journeyman Electrician

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrcian in Lyman, WY
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrcian in Lyman, WY

I worked at Tradesmen International as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have put me to work when I really was at my wits end seeking employment. Some projects have paid very well. Big projects for big clients pop up occassionally.

Cons

The projects are far between. The licensing requirement can be difficult to meet--and the worker has to get his/her own and pay for it themselves. The recruiters (especially for travelers) have a tendency to put the cart before the horse. In their attempt to send you off to distant projects they have sent you there many times without you being allowed to stay and earn any money. You have to pay your own travel expenses. Perdiem kicks in after you earn hourly pay. I have been sent to at least four jobs in 3.5 years where when I got there I was told that I could not stay and work due to a job prerequisite (licensing I was not told I needed, knowledge ahead of time of a clients specific company safety policy that I did not have, a drug test in hand that I did not have, and once to a location 1,500 miles away where I was told the client desperately needed me immediately and when I left at once and got there I went through their safety orientation and passed and also passed their company drug and alcohol test and then was sent 150 miles to the jobsite where I was told to start work that day for a foreman that was waiting for me only to get there and be told by that foreman over the phone that he was not there all day and that the jobsite was shut down and then to be told by Tradesmen office management that I would not be paid for going to the company's office nor their jobsite nor anything at all for my travel time and expenses. Outrageous!!! And, of course if something backfires it tends to be automatically be blamed on the worker--what is their promised arbitration?

When it works it works very well, but there are too many times when the cart is put before the horse and it all backfires with me being left out in the cold with no pay.

Inconsistent work, poor management, and unsafe conditions for crappy pay.

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Tradesmen International part-time (more than a year)

Pros

No obligation to any one contractor

Cons

Many of my fellow employees are signed up with this company to get on the big jobs that union shops typically get. Tradesmen does nothing to advocate for us when we get screwed over by one of their customers. It is obvious that they care only about the commission they get from the contractors they send us to. It wouldn't be so bad if they paid at least as much as the union guys get in this area but they don't even come close, or at least the amount we get doesn't come close. Maybe what the contractors pay Tradesmen to send us out adds up to as much or more than union wage, but what we get pales in comparison.

Don't act like you value your workforce. We are a commodity that you exploit and you should at least be honest about that. I heard a rumor that we can organize a union for Tradesmen employees. Maybe then we'll get the respect, safety, and pay we deserve. I know I would sign a card if I met a union organizer.

Money isn't the greatest

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working "in the field" by seeing your clients, building relationships, and business planning were great experiences in B2B sales.

Cons

The commission structure is poor unless you generate large volume of business. On top of that you don't see money off the business you generate until the client pays their invoice, the longer they take you lose a certain percentage of your commission.

Pay sales people for the business they generate when it is written up. Making the sales staff wait and potentially lose large parts of their commission takes away motivation.

Sexist, misogynist, low-paying company

I worked at Tradesmen International

Pros

Opportunity to develop good contacts. Use them to find another job, unless you are male and some kind of manager, in which case you'll be just fine if you are aiming low and are happy to play ball.

Cons

Plenty. #1 NO trust. You're an employee, but you are still not to be trusted. No transparency, conflicting messages/instructions, low pay, no perks, sexist, misogynist, disrespectful to employees. I worked with people who routinely made fun of other employees down to their appearance and ethnic origin, in front of them and also others. Three levels of upper management laughed and said that was OK. Flagrant sexism practiced by male managers while the (few) teeth-gritting female managers play ball around them. Cultivates an atmosphere of "corporate tells us one thing, but our office does it differently." That works until your manager throws you under the bus for something s/he approved of and condoned her/himself. If you like good pay, any kind of praise or recognition, being given proper tools to do your job, gratification in your work, fair and transparent commission structure, managers you can learn from, and an employer you can trust.... run away fast.

Doesn't matter - whatever Joe Wesley wants, Joe gets, including his management team of horses' behinds.

Fast Paced Great Company

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Something new every day, great staff and employees to work with,

Cons

Work/Life balance, long hours during peak times

incompetent management system

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were absolutely no good reasons to work for this company, unless you enjoy going to Cleveland for conferences. If you do have the good fortune of making the million dollar sales club, the sales trip was usually a very nice reward.

Cons

If you make too much in sales they figure out how to reduce your commission. The sales territories and and local commission structures are sketchy. The use of the sales tracking tools are used to depress the sales force rather than train them. The sales conferences are amazingly useless and wrought with boring speakers.

Hire a local managerial team that has construction experience - not grocery store management!

It's been good, wish the work was more ready available

Current Employee - Carpenter in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Carpenter in Troy, MI

I have been working at Tradesmen International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you know your job they will keep you on call

Cons

Work is too far in between

Keep your good guys busy

Run away.....quickly

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the co-workers warned me immediately about the place being so screwed up. They were correct.

Cons

Management is pretty sad, training in Cleveland lands you a strange roommate for a week in a hotel room, training itself is pretty lame, mileage reports were completely made up and management knew and participated. Construction workers were usually bottom of the barrel and would not show up for assignments. I was told to white out parts of a contract that was signed by a client and copy it for our files sent to corporate......this was instructed by an area manager. You never know what the commission is going to be due to unknown factors only controlled by corporate. They are the most expensive company by far and for what reason? Way to much hide the wienie.

Get some decent branch managers who have some sort of sales skills themselves. Too many of them were promoted in a few months time cause the guy they are replacing had sense enough to bail. Pay attention to the sales people