Trading Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Rick Lane

Pros
  • Fully stocked snack room with bagels every day and they even have a bar in the office now with a game room upstairs (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, WFH option, good vacation package, tuition reimbursement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management has made several bad decisions regarding purchases of third party software (in 6 reviews)

• Most of us are not confident in the new platform since we don't believe in it, but are simply doing what we've been told in order to keep our jobs (in 4 reviews)

TT can be a good place, it mostly was to me!

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to start this "pros" section by stating, I was only merely thinking about writing a review. And unlike 50% of the company that has been terminated in one form or another over the past few years, I left on my own free will. I feel that I left on great terms, I hope I did! After a terrifically written novel of a review popped up on this very site minutes after I started my new gig, the vicious rumor mill that swirled the halls of TT eventually made its way all the way back to me as a former employee. I was being congratulated for someone's writing- I wanted to set the record straight. However, Anon (seriously readers, give it a read too, less bitter Betty than some of the slander of TT with some pointed personal digs), you did a good write-up and I agree with many of your statements! Other reviewers seem to have been caught out in non-promotion land or layoffs and spew hatred. So read these things with caution. TT offered me a look into an industry I knew nothing about. I came, not knowing a long from a short. I didn't know a spread in Vegas sports books from spread trading. My immediate peers were terrific mentors, and the head of my group was the best mentor I could ask for. I was in a small prime-cut of TT that made the experience for me at the start. I fell into a number of different roles in the company while riding in the wake of my mentor (which nobody can complain about moves and compensation increases) and worked with many departments. TT offered this- if you chose to get involved (many don't) you can literally work with every department in the firm from any role. To steal a word from another review- at times it truly is collegiate with collaboration. The regular people in the trenches are the gems of the organization. The guys answering the phones in an under appreciated job of support, the never heard traders, the non-execs of any division are the heart beat of this place. There is some wild talent. There are a few talking heads raking in over-compensation doing good work, while others rode the mass of talent in the guise that it was their work and genius. Rare circumstances proved top-dogs were not in it JUST for cashing in when the place sells or padding the resume for a C-level job at some other firm. These few seem to be invested in really, truly, wanting it to be a good place. So if you want, there are a number. Attach to them and it will help your gig. The others will be gone in a revolving door of executive management. The office has been revamped, weird timing considering the company had just been cut nearly in half, but who cares- there never would be a "good" time. The place and culture needed something after every other person had been whacked. There was a new savior of a CEO in, and a new platform on the way. Why not new start? I wish they had waited to buy out an old trading pit and embrace the culture rather than build pool tables and bars (I did love me the pool table however), but it was awesome. Likely you wont get a job with a bar, pool table, mounds of free food, and bags tournaments in the game room- or yoga. Unless you go work at Google. Its very nice. And a huge thank you to the forgotten facilities people who make it happen and nice daily. I liked working for TT- and quite frankly though I felt mistreated by the company at times (job ambiguity out the wazoo and was twice told I might be laid off to not be) I grew and developed there.

Cons

I laugh at this section, its a free place to post up personal grievances. But here is one thing to kick it off I have thought was funny from moment one. When a former employee was terminated and went rogue tweeting up a storm of hatred in the company, it was a shock. Management sent out emails of how it hurt feelings and was not called for, how it was so terrible. This was a unique circumstance that rocked the boat for days. But on an hourly basis some blog somewhere, some tweet somewhere, some support person inside TT hears much worse things about the old-school platform losing them money/breaking and nobody really cares. Or so it seems- blindly going forward with the the thing and letting the old, well, be old. Feelings are hurt and egos are dinged and personal emails of panic go to the company. While when the face of the company is dragged over the coals by the smallest single prop trader to the biggest of banks-client for the umpteenth time, nothing is said. Or internal meetings and grudges arise saying they are a pain in the *** client. Interesting logic there. I almost said TT is an enigma, but that's a lie. Every company embodies weird politics, rumors, preferential treatment to less than terrific employees based on old friendships. And all places have not so nice people. TT had plenty of each. I certainly could write a laundry list of people that I disliked or that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them- in friendship and especially in business. These being from low positions to Ivory-tower high-places of power. I would prefer not working with these out-for-them-self, surface-level individuals again, but industry is small and crossover might happen. Thats why TT is not an enigma, everywhere has them...they are easy to spot. Especially if you are not REALLY buying into the new vibe. Its cold standing in the face of the wind...very cold. From reading other reviews: those who complained that development was dead, opportunities didn't exist, and opinions are not heard. I semi agree, but then again I don't. Cop out, to me. Like anything, navigate away form the bad seeds and your voice may be heard. Don't sit in a shell with headphones on typing away all day. Realize that some people there are great, and that anyone no matter what the title is a person- approach anyone. If you want talk to them- if they are "too cool for school," then move along. Its business, not high school. Realize that some of the people that you would assume would be your confidential source for help or complaints are a barely functioning themselves and you better go it on your own. Trust yourself in this place, and don't rely on others unless you REALLY know they are willing to help you as much as you will help them. My boss told me the first weeks, "you notice why nobody is answering your questions, its because they want something from you first." This is true in an individual profit group just as much as a company. Get it in writing. When you hear you will get a raise or a bonus of X dollars, get it written and signed. Don't wait for it. You may or may not get a different amount blamed on a typo, nothing, or have multiple months of horrific confusion whilst a carousel of confusion tells you they don't know your employment situation. All happened here. It built resentment and made me realize that networking would be my greatest achievement in any role. A place to bounce always seemed like it needed to be near... Finally. Great people have been forced to quit or have been terminated because they didn't perfectly fit the mold. While others who deserved to be fired within minutes of poor actions remained in the company much- much longer. Mind boggling. I guess make the right friends...

Advice to Management

Know that even though I had a laundry list cons. the pros generally outweighed it still. I wrote nothing negative in my exit paperwork because I knew one of 2 things would happen. (a) my confidential information would be out there for the taking with my name attached to it in the social fodder of the people I told it to or (b) nothing would happen. Try to build trust. "Total trust," was a campaign idea that failed, but at least it was a try. But generally trust your people. Give them information, give them trust, be more forthcoming about whats going on and they will repay you many times over. And break down walls between groups even more. It will be worth it. AND FINALLY- I will agree with anyone who has reviewed or said this. Be more present to your clients. When you come in- ask questions and stop saying over excitedly and energetically, "its coming, its coming, its coming." Sub-par back office systems, SOD oddness, and others cause real fiscal pain. Pain that is more than a non-trader, product or sales person would know. Say, "we know this is an issue and I am sorry, we are sorry. We know that our mistake has caused you and your clients downstream issues. We will do what we can to fix it. And appreciate you telling us and trusting us to help." It sounds cheesy, but it could help... Also understand the client. Trading is hard, trading is horrible, and a few lucky ones stick with it. Its expensive and TT is a huge cost monthly to a minor prop guy to a huge bank trader. Show more appreciation for that cost.

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

My initial job training at excellent. My first manager careful laid out a development and training plan for me and was genuinely interested in aiding my success at TT. The benefit offerings at TT are far superior to any other company I've worked for- from the PTO, paid holidays, health benefits- extremely competitive.

Cons

The notion that TT leaders and the people in the company who should be discreet and confidential is a ridiculous myth. These confidants of classified confidence are anything but discreet. You can usually find out about an impending layoff or firing by engaging one of the many leaks in the HR department. Be careful what you say, how you say it and who you say it to. Assume everyone wants something for nothing and will do whatever it takes to get ahead. Confidential is a relative term at TT and people (even your friends) will jump at the chance to air your dirty laundry just to make themselves look better or more relevant. I have personally witnessed TT's non-standard treatment of employees. I suppose this must prove they are not afraid to abandon decency and the human factor in many levels. Employees who engage in unethical behavior can expect to remain employed because of who they know. On the flip side, flirting with the appropriate people and sucking at your job will also get your far at TT. Toward the end of my time at TT, I never was afforded the opportunity to work on the projects that I wanted. Even when I asked. I guess that's difficult when you're surrounded by lunacy coupled with the fact that your manager never shows up to the office.

Advice to Management

TT's greatest resource is the amount of human capital. Talent. You are not doing yourselves a service by shoveling around beer and bagels and are left wondering why people are leaving. Recognize individuals and group efforts. Invest in your people.

Bright days ahead

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

This company provides a top-notch product, which is produced, supported, and sold by a group of skilled and dedicated professionals. The atmosphere is one of collaboration and cooperation. I learn something new every day and really enjoy working here.

Cons

We endured some dark days over the past few years with staff reductions and inconsistent messages. I believe that things have improved dramatically, and will continue to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your front-line employees, as they are best able to deliver messages and insights from the user base.

A great place to work, contrary to what you may see here.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

There are obviously disgruntled former employees on here with an axe to grind, so take their reviews with a grain of salt. There have been a lot of changes to upper management over the years at TT, some good, some bad. They have also completely rebuilt our main product and so there have been lots of changes to the technologies we use (a lot of web technologies), which some people have struggled or disagreed with. But for the most part the mood at TT is better now than ever and people are excited again about what they're doing. The free snacks and beer are nice but I care more about the things I get to work on and the smart people I work with.

Cons

- It doesn't seem like there are many opportunities for moving to management if you are in a technical role - the hours can be long - project management can be indecisive

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As someone who has been at TT for a while, it's great to see excitement again.

TT is a Great Place to Develop your Career

Former Employee - Anon in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anon in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall positive. But I have a narrative of a list of cons too- my excuse is because I care. This place has potential. There are some absolutely great employees here to learn from and develop with. I would go back in a heart beat and I would suggest TT to others. Anyone can come here to learn the industry and make some networking happen. I would go back with a higher title and real responsibility. I would go in either with title and compensation details in stone, or I would go in as fresh and new as they come to absorb and learn. Nothing in the middle. TT is the type of organization that you can make of it what you want. There are a lot of really great people. If you want to work incredibly hard, there is plenty of work to be done. Likewise, if you want to come in and work 6-hour days and perform only your job function, chances are good you will find equal success to the workplace champion. Flexibility and work life are great, kinda. The offices have been completely revamped to a 'cooler' culture. The bar, game room, open layout, free breakfast are tremendous perks to employees. Its an office people stay at after hours because they want to be there. Which is huge. It deserves to be in top Chicago offices.

Cons

It seems that some of the choices are questionable at best with how firm decisions are made. Also, the number of people in the firm who are truly loyal is shrinking. Rapidly. And employees are being treated poorly. The office is great, but all the money spent on it almost immediately after a large layoff was in poor form. It was felt by those let go, industry members who feel they pay too much for the software were pissed they paid for ping-pong and pool, and drinks for their competitor firms. Its apparent TT is keen to spend a ton trying to get everyone from clients to employees to sip the kool-aid. They're embracing a marketing campaign that does not feel real, and has awkwardly injected enthusiasm in its content. Along with that, its very painful to see them leaving the flagship platform that actually pays the bills to wilt and literally die on the vine whilst the web-based product is being forged. I am afraid large-scale customers will not stick it out to see the 'gucci-gui'. Political environment is apparent (then again where is it not). Senior management is entirely accessible- but that doesn't mean they listen. Secrecy and side huddle meetings about who knows what involving who knows who happen all the time- leaving rumors and conjecture to take over average employees lives with conspiracy theories. Some people with tremendous ideas are ignored or "put in a corner" due to their unwillingness to play the games. Walls exist between different groups within the company for no apparent reason. Employees have no clue how a career progresses here. Its wildly ambiguous. 10-year vets have the same titles as newbies. Promotions seem rare as of late while higher-up positions have been hired in rather than promoted. Solving the hierarchy conundrum would require the seemingly soulless HR head to come into the office, first, then show human emotion and care. The company has shrunk by about 40% in a few years. And it seems that the best way to move up is wait for others to leave or change their jobs. That part is frustrating. Flexibility: While many people wander in and out as they please unnoticed, everyone seems to be always connected- there's no leaving work at work- everyone is hooked into email 24/7 and your non replies are judged. The departments that are lean are taxed and many, many people have left because of it. There are a ton of people here who have a true passion for making the place better. These people have blood, sweat, tears, and OPTION EQUITY invested in the success of the company. Its completely misunderstood by higher ups that even peons may truly care about the success of the firm. Amazing considering these low-rankers are not getting secret or the still happening not so secret bonuses (on top of the now standard ones).

Advice to Management

Look at some of the high dollar figures there and change it up a bit. Question some of the new (1-2 year) talent additions with scrutiny. Vet their loyalty to the company versus only being out for themselves. Figure out a way to manage the communist non-compete madness and realize that your patents and near monopoly protect you. you have thrown away plenty of talented people easily and willingly, so the non compete shouldn't be a prison cell to stay. Find an effective way to mange the product/engineering struggle by finding a talent (you may have to look no farther than one of many people at the firm) and let them manage both heads of each group to make definitive decisions. Question why there are no sales people other than managers and why a profit driving trading firm was and continues to be scud-missile'd. Go back to treating your client as king and actually listen to them- don't just drive forward based on engineering feats and what you assume you want. Realize that client should drive product. Even Facebook and Google have had to back out of silly decisions because of client-chirps. And know above all else: Many employees actually love TT and want to love TT. Many who have left, left for good reasons. They leave for good and painful reasons and don't want to share them with some blank HR questionnaire to go into a dark and unread folder for the HR underworld queen to ignore. And finally, sell. As global futures business is getting smaller, competition is getting stiffer, revenues are going down across all firms, think about getting out while there are potential bidders. And be real people again- who care about people (employees or otherwise). That aspect has gone the most. And treat your staff as you would want to be treated as an employee if you were not in the circle of trust.

Good balance between big company and startup

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

Good working environment, reasonable amount of workload, great location for commuters, very little bureaucracy and process.

Cons

Need to keep hiring talented people, beginning to feel stretched a little thin. Could use a little more bureaucracy and process, moving so fast can feel a little chaotic.

Advice to Management

Now that the new platform is becoming more mature, you should formalize more processes around support and development to rein in some of the chaos.

Good company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, technology, work atmosphere, benefits

Cons

Management encouraging work at all hours mentality, training, career progression

Anonymous

I have been working at Trading Technologies

Pros

Tremendous progress over the past year. Proof will be in success of new product which is touted to be way more trader friendly, deploy seamlessly and reduce overhead of customers having to spend on hosting/connectivity themselves. Company has obviously worked hard to become more efficient. There was plenty of "fat" built up over the prior years and there has been some pain associated with streamlining and becoming more efficient. Some bitterness has been seen by those asked to leave, which is understandable I guess (no one likes to lose their job right?), but looking at the bigger picture, it is hard to argue against this badly needed revitalization. TT getting back to its cutting edge roots is exactly what was required. Communication is better, compensation is good and work environment is outstanding! Plenty of smart people still at TT.

Cons

New product development albeit needed, has caused strain on developers who are asked to go the extra 2 or even 3 miles. Can be a thankless job sometimes. Hopefully in the end and when the product is fully implemented it would have all been worth it!

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on communication. Keep pushing a culture of not wasting and working more efficiently. Customers always love a good product that works well and produced efficiently.

Good technology, they're moving in the right direction

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

Basic idea behind new platform is forward looking. Cloud-based solution is obviously the future, and TT is working hard to be a pioneer in this area.

Cons

Would be even better if they did more to develop their employees and retain experienced developers and product people. Have had a lot of brain drain over the last few years, and that will work against what they are trying to achieve with the new platform.

Advice to Management

Do more to recognize the people (who are still there) who understand the nuances of the 7x platform. A lot of 7x behaviors were learned the hard way, with years of deployments and feedback from banks and end users. Believing that programmers are interchangeable and undervaluing the importance of years of experience will only compromise your long-term ambitions.

Management must have realized employees are important

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is so bad you can do nothing at all and still receive a paycheck

Cons

It looks like management finally realized employees are important! After years of disrespect and mismanagement, after the departure of many top engineers, after downright insults from Rick Lane, management is finally concerned there might not be anyone left to save the doomed debesys platform. Unfortunately there solution appears to be writing fake glassdoor reviews and a new non compete to try and prevent more people from leaving. Or maybe they still don't care and the glassdoor reviews are solely to improve Rick Lane's approval rating -- he loves spending company money on PR for himself.

Advice to Management

The writing is on the wall, I doubt anything can be done

RSS Feed </> Embed