Trading Technologies

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.8

Rick Lane

Pros
  • Good perks like game room, free beer, good kitchen and generous PTO (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, WFH option, good vacation package, tuition reimbursement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management suddenly wants things done yesterday (in 6 reviews)

• Finding a balance between fixing legacy issues and bringing to market a new platform (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

TT is company that rewards outstanding work.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most people I work with at TT are competent at worst and many of the them are excellent at what they do while maintaining a reasonable degree of humility. I and others I know well have been fairly compensated for outstanding work.

Cons

Relatively recent organizational changes and the addition of an all new product have made for a bit of a wild ride. It certainly has not been a time for the faint-hearted.

Continue to recognize those who make the most significant contributions (not necessarily the flashiest ones) and continue to work toward stability in terms of people's roles and focus while the new and old platforms coexist.

Software Engineering

I worked at Trading Technologies

Pros

training, exposure to financial market, very flexible timing, the collegues are very helpful and you get a good opportunity to learn about the whole trading firm

Cons

need to know about the in and outs of trading techniques in order to get along with the ongoing development.
    Transparency is a bit less. Need more focus on personal growth

Beware of promises that are not kept

Former Employee - CSC Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CSC Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free breakfast and coffee, catered dinner for PM shift.

Cons

The experience I had while working at TT can be summed up in one word: Horrible. Management at the time clearly had no idea how to manage their respective

The promise of stock option IPO was never fulfilled.

Sit back and wait to get bought out.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Former Employee - Software Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good perks, comfortable environment, great coworkers. When I first started, this was a wonderful place to learn and work.

Cons

Poor management, too much turnover. Let too many good people get away to fill some silly agendas.

Create a more stable environment where everyone isn't "looking over their shoulders."

Good, on path to mediocre

Current Employee - TTNET Software Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - TTNET Software Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talented people. Everyone’s friendly and easy-going. Cool kitchen with beer on tap. Soda and healthy snacks. High-end laptops for all employees.

Cons

We are a mature software shop with 20 years of tradition that is desperately trying to downgrade to a start-up. We just don’t seem to be able to manage ourselves. The new poster boy CEO is running the company into the ground. Yes, it’s important to innovate, but could we please have a vision?
    People are leaving left-and-right due to instability and mismanagement. Asking them to work overtime without any compensation or bonus doesn't help either. How about hiring someone who actually has experience running a company?

Hire leaders with vision, experience and charisma.
    Improve your incentives package. You can't expect people to work long hours just because you shelled out $$$ on a new kitchen.

Great Job, Great people, Great Product

Former Employee - TTNET Software Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - TTNET Software Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

TT had many people with the company for over 10 years which should speak for itself. They treat their employee's great with free drinks, snacks, coffee, and TT Tuesdays.
    The product that they sell is top in the futures industry and is constantly getting better. The environment is laid back and every is treated with the utmost respect.
    Hopefully the cloud trading platform really takes off and ushers in a new era at the company.

Cons

There is a lack of vision and motivation from the top of the company on down. No one is sure if the company can withstand it's current leadership.

Try building up the company as one team that is excited and motivated to deliver a great product to your clients.
    After you have Sun Tzu-ed your organization, you still need the warriors to fight for your cause. More beer for those who aren't gone, yet, doesn't ensure they are driven to innovate and provide excellent service.
    If you are just looking to sell the company, then make sure you do a good job of showing future value.

Uncertainty, Uncertainty, Uncertainty

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free beer, good location, game room & renovated kitchen

Cons

We are in the process of retiring our old product line and launching a new offering. The support staff has really been feeling the heat. There are no training programs to teach us the new platform and, at the same time, the developers are asked to be on call. How can you expect us to do our jobs well, knowing that we are dead weight?

Bring back Doug Duquette

All the stresses of a startup without the benefits of one

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Kitchen, game room, and bar are very, very nice.
    Building location is excellent.
    Paid time off and work from home policy is generous.

Cons

Work-life balance has been shattered in the past year or so. In the past, one of the big benefits of working at this company was that you could put in your 9-5 and not worry a bit about work until the next day. There was the occasional end of project crunch, but nothing that was for an extended period of time. The company's *excellent* phone support staff handled all Level 1 type incidents, problems that were escalated were usually okay to wait until the next day. All hands on deck fire drills were exceedingly rare.

Now there is a pressure to put all waking hours into the company. I've seen non-urgent email threads go on until 12:30AM on week nights. Senior staff will email on the weekend about non-critical internal development environments being down. I can tell from our issue tracking software that any given weekend between 4-6 developers are working. This past weekend was Labor Day weekend and we had 14 different people do some work. Email threads went on until 10:45PM on Saturday. On Monday, the emails started up at 8:45AM.

This has created a work environment where if you're not responding to non-urgent after hours emails or working weekends you are falling behind your peers. Putting in quality work five days a week is no longer enough to maintain your position. There has been a steady trickle of firings for the past couple of years, so falling behind your peers isn't just a missed opportunity for a larger raise. Simply performing instead of over-performing can definitely mean losing your job.

This is the environment of a high-paced startup, but the company is not a startup. There is a stock option plan but no roadmap to going public. Company is large enough that there is still a bureaucracy, there is a small chance you will influence decision making, and you will work on the same thing indefinitely. The company is on a long term course to get smaller and smaller, so it is not as if you stay on for five years you're going to accidentally find yourself in charge of a large department because the company took off.

Be honest with your employees. If the future culture of the company is going to be this never ending 16 hours a day, 7 days a week schedule, give employees the opportunity to get out if they don't agree with it. You still have everyone under a one-year non-compete agreement.

The median age of your employees is pretty high. This is no longer a company of twenty-somethings. Do not expect all of your employees with families to be able to indefinitely sustain this level of output.

Great learning atmosphere, great benefits

Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment, lots of collaboration, good benefits, awesome perks (bar, breakfast, plenty of events). Solid company.

Cons

Not always transparent about how the company is doing, teams sometime lack motivation

Good employees, bad work quality

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

Good employees
    Great job-life balance
    Good perks like game room, free beer, good kitchen and generous PTO.

Cons

Not a challenging environment. If you want to retire and nothing left to achieve than really great company to work for, otherwise look for some place else.

Challenge employees with new exciting projects, just nice perks, on TV interviews and you tube videos won't make "cool" company.