Traeger Pellet Grills

www.traegergrills.com

Traeger Pellet Grills Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Jeremy Andrus

TRAEGER SUCKS......if you're looking for a cushy, laid back sales gig.....

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLike many of the other positive reviews have said.....
    It's hard work....you're held accountable....you're rewarded for hitting your goals, and forgotten about, if you show an extended trend towards failure. It can seem "zero-to-hero/hero-to-zero" to some.....

The $$ is there....oh yes indeed....it's there, but there is a price to pay to be a sales hero with Traeger....

-You must work very hard...for 10 days straight/10-12 hours a day. You must be on top of your game every minute of every day.
    -The company has lofty sales goals, and some shows are much easier than others. If you preform...you will get more premium shows.....as well as advancement opportunities, and earn a six-figure income.

-The company doesn't want excuses, and expects you to preform.......period. You're sick...under the weather....working at a slower location.....family issues. Just keep it to yourself....keep moving....

-You will be on the road for 6 months(10 days on/10 off)....you will miss you're family....they will miss you too. You will sleep...eat...work....eat....repeat. Not alot of time for phone calls, or catching up with your family or friends while at a show.

-You will make $$$ and be a great family provider during the 6 months you're home. It's like vacation time every 10 days. My family and I have fished and camped more during in the year that I have been with Traeger, than I ever did in my 40 years of life on this planet.

- This is like sales Marines....it's too" hard-core" for most sales people....all of the top sales reps here are hardcore....seriously intense.

If you're thinking " I was the top sales guy on top grossing car lot...3 years in a row...I'm hardcore...". You're soft.....compared the the elite sales-reps here.....

I really love my job/career with Traeger. It's high pressure....but low pressure at the same time. You're playing on peoples emotions.....and selling them a product they will really LOVE....in 3 mins....for 10 days straight.

ConsAs above.....so below.
    No Health insurance.....

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you for the review and comments you've made. The sales team we have at Traeger really is an elite force. We take training seriously to ensure our sales team is the best there is.
    A proper
    ... More

Failure to Launch

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsReally! The Grill is the only positive thing about Traeger. But if you happen to sell one that is damaged be prepared to get the parts shipped. That's right. Your brand new grill is broken and they don't send you a new one, but have you play mechanic, and fix it yourself!

ConsEver seen a movie with previews that are emotionally and psychologically appealing. Then you go to the movie and watch it. Painfully, scene by scene. Everything that was portrayed in the preview turned out to be the movie. This is Traeger in a nut shell. Promise of travel, $, benefits, and fun. Then slowly, this movie unfolds. First, by making "draws" (payment for future sales) that literally 5 people hit. Stores in Vegas and Mall of America. Then they eliminate any opportunity of growth by a policy change. No draws for Managers in training, instead they get a max of 29hrs and a SWEET hourly rate of $9 (hardly the 100k)! Now one manager is expected to hire, fire, train all new employees. With stores open 7 days a week for 11 hour days, and one or two hourly associates that means the manager will be working over 60 hours a week for 20 percent commission. Sounds good right? No, the manager pays the hourly salary, plus shipping and handling and all other promotional arrows out of the commission. In short, they expected stores to compete with Costco prices, with zero help for closing. No wonder the company is failing on the store side. Get a clue. They lie, lie, lie! Don't not believe a single word they say! Also if you do get hired, there is ZERO job security. So, make sure you know where the exit is'

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the grill online! Too many plans and drastic changes! You are like puppies chasing a fire engine. What are you going to do when you catch it? Nothing!

It's not for everyone, but it's for me... and I love it.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsThis company is looking for the most talented and hard-working salespeople in the country. They are upfront and honest with you from the very beginning that if you don't hit your numbers, you won't make it. The reality is that you could go through months of training and then crash and burn once you get out on your own. It' not glamorous or easy, and not everyone can do it. The job requires you to be on the road for 10 or more days at a time and it's very physically and mentally draining. Some of the negative reviews on here seem to be bitter former salespeople who were cut from the team because they didn't perform. That's the nature of this type of business, and if you can't accept that, you need to find another industry. I hear McDonald's is always hiring.

Traeger salespeople are well rewarded for our hard work. The pay is excellent (personally I am projecting I'll make 150-200k by the end of the year), travel expenses are completely covered, management is great, top performers are acknowledged, weekly conference calls and a forum keep the team cohesive, informed, and competitive. But for me the icing on the cake is our 10 days off after each show. This gives us plenty of time to spend with family and friends, plan vacations, and pursue our passions and interests. I wouldn't have it any other way.

ConsThe job is extremely demanding. Mentally and physically. But I guess that's not really a con for me, I enjoy the challenge. If you go into training mentally prepared and know what to expect, you'll greatly increase your chances of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Although it would be awesome if they doubled the hotel budget :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

awesome possum

Trainer (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

Pros- the MONEY. (it's up to you how much you make)
    - the SCHEDULE. (10 days of hard work, 10 days with zero work)
    - the PROFESSIONAL and PERSONAL GROWTH. (this job is a mirror. if you don't like what you see, there's something lacking within you. if you do like what you see, well done.....you earned it. there are also opportunities for advancement when you perform.)
    - NO POLITICS. (there's no seniority. if you perform, you get better earning opportunities. if you slack off, your opportunities aren't as good. Also, being in a new environment every 10 days, there's no time for typical office drama.)
    - ACCESSIBILITY TO UPPER MANAGEMENT. (you can talk to anyone in this company, not just your direct boss -- other reps for support, travel and office support staff, VP of sales, CEO, etc. everyone is there for you and is constantly offering support. you simply have to initiate conversation and they listen. very cool for a company this size.)
    - NO RESPONSIBILITY other than to sell. (all travel arrangements are booked and the travel department is awesome and accessible 24/7. all your sales are tracked and double checked. I've even had accounting correct mistakes they make in my favor without me even having to ask. your inventory is tracked and sent for you before you even have to ask. your schedule is set and all those arrangements are made. you literally just have to show up and sell. and there's ZERO follow up - major plus for the majority of sales people!)
    - they VALUE EMPLOYEE FEEDBACK. (they regularly send us surveys asking how to improve things for us. when you have 70 - 100 reps all over the country and people rarely talk, it's hard to gather information or discover trends. they do their best to stay in the loop and make things better for us.)

Cons- No Benefits (although with the money we make, it's not a huge deal)
    - Lack of STRUCTURED ongoing training
    - very low end hotels (it's nice we don't have to arrange it and that the company pays for it because not all industries like this do, but the places we stay are usually pretty gross)

Advice to Senior Management- Would love to see annual or bi-annual training for established reps.
    - Presidents Club for top performers
    - A way to earn benefits after a set period of time and/or performance (e.g. after 6 months or a year, if you've hit x-dollars or x- percentage you are entitled to health benefits or a $25/night increase in hotel per diem)

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

So, so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are nice. Good benefits. The new management team seems open to feedback, and is slowly changing the work environment.

ConsNo transparency, no productive communication between departments, no room for career development growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a good work culture. It's non-existent and stifling.

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you very much for the review and the feedback given. We take communication and transparency very seriously and want to make sure we are taking a proactive approach to ensure all employees feel ... More

Could of done a better job.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGet to travel, fun environment. Great people to work with.

ConsAlways standing. Coporate always on you. They demand everything to be done right, but yet when you need something from them they cant seem to get things done.

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you for the comments and feedback. The demands of this sales position are quite rigorous. We try to make sure each candidate is notified of these requirements throughout the interview ... More

It had been a rewarding experience!!

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Springville, UT

ProsI have earned a lot of money selling a product I love and actually use!! It's not hype!! And people love there traegers!! I have learned a lot about myself and feel that I will be better for having this job at this point in my life. U could not be in a better place selling retail. Costcos have the best customers.

ConsBeing on the road away from family..

Burnt out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- You are rewarded for the time and effort you put in, as long as there are results.
    - The product sells itself at its price point.

Cons- No team atmosphere.
    - A very disjointed company, with no organization or flow.
    - No clear outlook given to the employees.
    - Upper management feeds the work to others, rather than conducting it themselves.
    - No leadership.

Advice to Senior Management- Being lean is not the way to build a company.
    - Invest in 21st century technology. The ROI will render large dividends.
    - Senior management needs to engage, educate, and communicate with everyone.
    - Cut the politics, and remove those that are paid too much to do nothing.
    - Sales are not coming from the top. They are coming from those that work hours on end at the Traeger Stores and kiosks along with operations. They should be rewarded.
    - Look at those that excel at their jobs, and you will find a very strong team. Otherwise, they may walk.
    - Invest in your product, rather than continually finding ways to decrease the COG's.
    - Customer service needs a leader.

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you for the feedback and comments. You are right, the product certainly speaks for itself.
    I'm sorry to hear that you were feeling burnt out. A major benefit of having a position work
    ... More

I love what I do and who I work for

ProsGreat pay. Amazing product. Challenging work, but that is what I signed up for. It's part of what I love about what I do. This is a constantly changing environment/pace for any sales professional.

ConsThe company seems to be growing faster than it's able to keep up with so communication seems to get lost at times.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease communication.

A growing company with growing opportunities for growing individuals

National Sales Trainer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAbove all, this company cares about its employees. I have been with the company for 2.5 years and have never felt more appreciated and challenged in the same environment. Coming from a grass roots sales background, it's hard to find a company that isn't trying to get over on sales reps in some way. Since I have been here, commissions and expectations have never changed, I have had the opportunity to grow within the ranks, and I have truly grown in my profession. We undoubtedly have a product that is second to none and a religious customer following that takes the threat of competition out of the picture for the sales reps. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR? I am extremely pleased overall and am excited to see how this company develops in the next few years.

ConsTraeger's greatest strength is also its greatest challenge. THE COMPANY IS GROWING EXTREMELY FAST. The company has experienced a 300% profit growth in the last four years but with that comes growing pains. Sometimes there are new programs developing and changing so fast that communication can get lost between key departments. Therefore, problems are sometimes handled in a reactive manner as opposed to proactively. That frustration may sometimes trickle down to many individuals within the company. Also, the schedule is very demanding. It is truly 10 days away from home and working 12 hours a day with full intensity in a hotel that is not the best in the city. However, I knew all of those things when I signed on the dotted line.

Advice to Senior Management1. There are many opportunities to advance but they are not promoted properly. If there were clear guidelines on expectations for advancement and benefits thereof, I think more people would step up and become overachievers. 2.The initial training is great and extensive but I would love to see more ongoing training that is just as effective for seasoned sales reps. 3. Communicate about issues that will affect sales reps in an open and proactive environment. Maybe create "think tank" teams that dialogue about issues as they arise, strategize solutions and approach, and then communicate that to the masses. 4. Quarterly meetings with representatives from recruiting, sales, logistics, travel, inventory,management, and marketing would help each department understand their role as changes arise due to growing pains. 5. Lastly, an elite club for the best sales professionals that will allow them to get together once a year to be recognized, developed as leaders, and congregate to get to know one another personally since they never get to see one another.

Worked for Traeger Pellet Grills? Contribute to the Community!