Tragon Reviews

Doug Vort

1. Another opinion on Tragon and its RedJade sensory software

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am a former employee of Tragon, but currently work for a large CPG firm. Tragon is a high-energy, high-octane place to work; an ideal place for an overachiever who thrives in this type of environment. Long hours (10+) are normal and expected. But for this there are some great perks. For one, Tragon matched our 401k dollar for dollar. I was able to save over $300,000 in five short years!
    At my current employer, we are Beta testers for Tragon's sensory application, RedJade. RedJade has come a long way since my employment at Tragon. It is powerful, easy to use, and most importantly, reliable. It is miles ahead of anything available. The software meets all of our sensory needs from a quick discrimination test to a descriptive test with complex statistical analysis. Best yet, I can set up a study and have it ready to execute in a few short minutes. The entire application runs within a web browser making it very flexible, unlike our current sensory software provider. Even as a Beta user, we haven't experienced any significant problems with the application. I'm falling in love with RedJade more and more everyday.

Cons

Long work hours and heavy workload are the norm at Tragon, and they are slow to hire additional resources. But again, if you can do it, they offer some great perks in exchange. Tragon has clients all over the world and certain staff members are expected to travel regularly to meet with them.

RedJade has taken longer to release than promised (but it was worth the wait!) As Beta users we don't have full usage of the application until January 2015.

Please release the full version of RedJade...we love it!

These people are liars and the CEO is a bully who should be incarcerated somewhere as he is also a raving lunatic...

Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company what so ever. I would never ever recommend that anyone work for this company or participate in their sensory evaluations.

Cons

They routinely lie to those folks that respond to their evaluations. People are scheduled to participate and then called right before coming or as they are on their way in and told the 'food ran out' when in truth they just already achieved their desired results. They relentlessly call people who sign up as participants to the point of harassment. Hours worked for many is poor, compensation is even worse. The CEO is a trust fund baby who has no skills what so ever other then intimidation.

There is no training here. The work-life balance is not a consideration for most. The owner/CEO has no value system and it trickles down through out his subordinates.

3. This is a small primarily a food/product marketing consulting company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tragon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dallas office is separated from the day to day customer facing operations.

Cons

In face of their competition "Compusense Inc", Tragon's SAS platform is simply rebranded backend and not targetted to their customer base as their competitors. There isn't a concept to timeline or schedule in development of key backend systems, everything should be as "simple" as throwing up a nice looking webpage.

- The brightest minds in San Fransisco, who actually are working in the Dallas / Irving Office on your main product with a turn over rate exceeding grocery sackers are not going to be working for you long enough to create a quality product that can beat the competition.

5. The Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tragon is by far the best place I have ever worked. For one, the entire staff is like family. When I first started, I felt like I married into a large family of 50+ siblings, but it didn't take long for me to be accepted. We all work very hard but play hard together too. This culture is a direct reflection of our CEO. He works (and travels) harder than anyone I know and is a competitive triathlete/Ironman. He inspires the whole team to do better. Tragon has grown so much under his leadership. I have great respect for the company, its employees and the whole leadership team.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons to say. Based on the two negative reviews from temporary employees, perhaps we as a full-time staff can do a better job of working with the temps.

Tragon's management leads by example. And I love it.

Engaging and Enjoyable Workplace

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Enjoyable work environment & staff
    *Great benefits including medical, dental, paid time off, paid holidays, and 401k matching
    *Upper Management encourages growth and development
    *Challenging work that keeps employees engaged

Cons

*Can't really think of any

Response to comments about CEO

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This posting is in response to the few complaints and personal attacks that have been written here about Tragon in general and Tragon’s CEO in particular. I am the Operations Manager for Tragon Corp. overseeing three offices and a staff of over 50 full-time employees.

For starters, as the operations manager, I can tell you that our CEO is NOT a micro-manager as claimed. In fact, I don’t think he can be more hands-off without being totally disengaged. He is involved to the extent that he sets the direction of the company, delegates to the executive team and follows-up accordingly. He visits clients around the world and supports our account team whenever they request him too. His interaction with the rest of the staff outside the executive and account teams is much more of ‘social’ in nature, cheerleader and simply keeping a pulse on people and things.

As for the comments about our CEO’s character, it is apparent that they come from a small group of disgruntled people who would have limited knowledge of how the company operates. These negative comments are clearly written by temp employees or low-level staff that would have little to no contact with him. They certainly don’t know that he matches 100% of all 401(k) contributions every year; or his tireless work with local charities and underprivileged kids; or the cars he’s purchased for staff; or the funeral expenses he paid for a deceased employee when the family couldn’t afford to. I could go on with more, but I think this paints a more accurate picture of the type of person that our CEO really is.

Cons

None that I can think of

Bad CEO, bad company.

Former Contractor - Temp in Redwood City, CA
    Former Contractor - Temp in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Tragon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, good work load and interesting projects.

Cons

The CEO is the worst man I've ever worked for.

Oust the CEO and establish better leadership. Stop micromanaging and drop the power trip

Tragon Response

Aug 15, 2014CEO

As a temporary employee (as you clearly state you were), your interaction with Tragon's CEO would have been about zero!

This is micromanaged company, perception is reality.

I worked at Tragon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to international companies
    Easy access to 101 and easy to get to.

Cons

Micromanaging CEO whom bases his managing on his perceptions of people.
    Has favorites in the company.
    401K matching policy is not clear, based on vesting period which is not stated and CEO holds right not to match anyone if he so chooses.
    CEO also can deny medical coverage claims so have a lawyer ready.

Tragon Response

Aug 15, 2014CEO

Marianne,
    It is quite disappointing to read your comments. For one, you were terminated because the hours you work at your family bakery were becoming too large of a conflict with your work at
    ... More

Something shady is going on....

Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great location to 101 and easily accessible
    Great experience
    Worked with international companies and honed business skills

Cons

Extremely micromanaged
    Played favorites
    Recruiting call center is has very few employees of Tragon - most are temps (constantly turning over new people)
    When hired, HR gave little to no information about paid holidays, company incentives. i had to ask about health, 401K and other benefits.
    HR shady and when questions are asked, you're black balled within the company resulting in "termination"
    No advancement opportunity or feedback until they're ready to get rid of you

CEO should not micromanage employees which he has no interaction
    Allow people to learn and provide streamline training