Tragus Reviews

16 reviews filtered by
2.4
Tragus CEO John Derkach
John Derkach

1. Okish place to work, have seen many worse places. Worked with some really good people, had lots of laugh.

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Tragus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free meals and soft drinks.

Cons

Its all about profitability, no concern for staff. Chop hours at no notice, managers to do all the things to make up for chopped team hours. You run around whole day chasing your tail. Learnt lots of things at this place but it made me give up hospitality altogether.

Market place is too competitive, look at ways to differentiate your business from other restaurant chains.

2. Good, but hard work

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Tragus

Pros

Café Rouge - Tips good

Cons

Rota - informed of shifts too late, sometimes day before

3. Bad Salary

I worked at Tragus

Pros

flexibility, staff member, n, n ,n

Cons

changes, supplyer, salary, promotion, goal

If they want to push the company up they need to re-plan the business, suppliers, staff, management, bonus

5. Company's Values - illusion

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euston, England (UK)

I worked at Tragus full-time

Pros

Met new friends.
    Food discount.

Cons

*headoffice
    Company's Values - illusion.
    Managers who still your ideas.
    Lack of teamwork.
    Connections worth more than skills.

*restaurants
    Area managers put big presure on GMs
    Lack of staff during busy nights

HR department should be replaced with new people.

6. Nasty Nazi managers stamp their jackboots on dissenting staff.

Current Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Tragus

Pros

Fellow employees are great! There is good camaraderie amongst staff. the schedule is flexible but you have to work weekends ,bank holidays and unsociable hours with no overtime pay-just a flat rate.

Cons

The managers are almost all unprofessional with no training- one of my managers is a former kitchen porter with no qualifications and barely literate. The managers are negative on the whole although we make millions of profit for them and they never say thanks. Last year we were offered £8 for our Xmas meal in January when we made £2 million net profit. A sad sick joke. Wages are the national minimum for most people.Nasty managers harass and are rude most of the time.

Be polite and thank your staff and reward them with a pay rise now and again instead of the legal minimum.

7. Tragus

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Tragus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many good reasons. The food is ok

Cons

Very low pay compared to other companies. Cuts on service and compromising a lot. They don't really care about the employee

Change company

Good working environment, bad company politics

Former Employee - FOH
    Former Employee - FOH

I worked at Tragus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic team, good staff food, 50% discount at all Tragus restaurants, comfortable working atmosphere, nice, caring, professional GM (in our restaurant anyway). Career opportunity as they often promote from within.

Cons

Frequent changes to rotas, mostly because an area manager does not approve the wage costs, he does that to get his bonus, but the restaurant operates understaffed and loses business as a result. Basically, the upper management gets bonuses for driving business away. Area managers do not understand the individuality of different branches, and quite frankly they don't care. Customer feedbacks system all wrong. Nothing EVER changed based on them other then the amount of bonuses for senior management. Far too many discounts, they completely lost direction and understanding of the market. In fact, they have no idea who their market is anymore. As much as I love the brand, I can't see it survive much longer.

Change the structure of bonuses earned by senior management, you're harming your own business and yet you're happy to pay for it. Rethink the discounts and vouchers you offer, with every new voucher issued you're digging deeper in the hole that is already very deep. Did you know you often have 3-4 different discount vouchers out at the same time? Who does that? What message does it send? Did you know customers often pay as little as £9 for a dinner for two? Did you know those with Tesco vouchers often pay NOTHING at all? Did you know people see you as a bistro or a canteen rather then a decent restaurant? Shout less about how desperate you are and start shouting how great your food and service is. For that though, you have to focus on quality of the food, for example, if 100 people tell you that the goats cheese salad is really badly designed, take it of the menu, or change it, and stop cutting labour there where it absolutely CAN'T be cut anymore.

9. Strada Cobham - The worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Waiting Staff in Cobham, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Tragus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From my own experience, I honestly struggle to think of any pros to working here.

Cons

The manager was very unprofessional and unapproachable. One morning on talking to a group of us she said, "I feel like firing someone today". Working here was made very difficult when I received no training at all. The chefs had an aggressive manner. One of the chefs would constantly stare at the female waiting staff and make inappropriate comments. This truly is the worst environment I have ever worked in which is why I had to hand in my notice. The manager treated waiting staff awfully and her behaviour while I was there was inexcusable.

Give all waiting staff equal training. The management at this restaurant was the worst I have ever witnessed - The manager needs to become more professional, approachable and constructive. Waiting staff shouldn't fear for their jobs because the manager will fire people she personally just doesn't like or because she "feels like firing someone today". This is the only place I have worked where I felt I had to hand in my notice because I was treated so badly.

10. Very Bad Company

Current Employee - Brtender in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Brtender in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Tragus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

no pros. this company has to shut down

Cons

Bad Money, Bad Management, Bad Culture, Bad Investment

11. Some great people, but wrong direction and weak brands.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Tragus

Pros

If your restaurant is achieving budget sales (a number often plucked from thin air by someone in London), then it's a good company to work for.

Cons

Labour budgets cut, but despite having fewer staff you are expected to drive sales, cut labour further to help out under performing sites, improve customer service with fewer staff. A scorecard system is great to track performance but when the company sends out memo's saying "we are proud to announce we are industry leading by having 11% customer promoter increase" and then on our scorecard a 30% increase (3 times above company average) is given 0 points and detracts from your bonus because somebody in an office in London has given you a ridiculous target, cheers Tragus!!

Too many discounts mean that margin is extremely difficult to achieve and quality of products has been reduced, making it harder to drive customer service and sales, as a result labour needs to be cut... Vicious circle...

Cut discounts. It's better to lose 30% of your customers and offer quality service and quality product at full price and then rebuild the customer base. The cafe rouge brand particularly is broken and needs a complete rethink to establish itself on the high street, may be too late with a new wave of competition coming imminently.

Tragus Photos

Café Rouge, Villiers Street (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)
Bella Italia (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)
Cafe Rouge, St Katherine's Dock (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo