Tragus

Tragus Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Tragus CEO John Derkach

John Derkach

Good working environment, bad company politics

FOH (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic team, good staff food, 50% discount at all Tragus restaurants, comfortable working atmosphere, nice, caring, professional GM (in our restaurant anyway). Career opportunity as they often promote from within.

ConsFrequent changes to rotas, mostly because an area manager does not approve the wage costs, he does that to get his bonus, but the restaurant operates understaffed and loses business as a result. Basically, the upper management gets bonuses for driving business away. Area managers do not understand the individuality of different branches, and quite frankly they don't care. Customer feedbacks system all wrong. Nothing EVER changed based on them other then the amount of bonuses for senior management. Far too many discounts, they completely lost direction and understanding of the market. In fact, they have no idea who their market is anymore. As much as I love the brand, I can't see it survive much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the structure of bonuses earned by senior management, you're harming your own business and yet you're happy to pay for it. Rethink the discounts and vouchers you offer, with every new voucher issued you're digging deeper in the hole that is already very deep. Did you know you often have 3-4 different discount vouchers out at the same time? Who does that? What message does it send? Did you know customers often pay as little as £9 for a dinner for two? Did you know those with Tesco vouchers often pay NOTHING at all? Did you know people see you as a bistro or a canteen rather then a decent restaurant? Shout less about how desperate you are and start shouting how great your food and service is. For that though, you have to focus on quality of the food, for example, if 100 people tell you that the goats cheese salad is really badly designed, take it of the menu, or change it, and stop cutting labour there where it absolutely CAN'T be cut anymore.

Very Bad Company

Brtender (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Prosno pros. this company has to shut down

ConsBad Money, Bad Management, Bad Culture, Bad Investment

Some great people, but wrong direction and weak brands.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsIf your restaurant is achieving budget sales (a number often plucked from thin air by someone in London), then it's a good company to work for.

ConsLabour budgets cut, but despite having fewer staff you are expected to drive sales, cut labour further to help out under performing sites, improve customer service with fewer staff. A scorecard system is great to track performance but when the company sends out memo's saying "we are proud to announce we are industry leading by having 11% customer promoter increase" and then on our scorecard a 30% increase (3 times above company average) is given 0 points and detracts from your bonus because somebody in an office in London has given you a ridiculous target, cheers Tragus!!

Too many discounts mean that margin is extremely difficult to achieve and quality of products has been reduced, making it harder to drive customer service and sales, as a result labour needs to be cut... Vicious circle...

Advice to Senior ManagementCut discounts. It's better to lose 30% of your customers and offer quality service and quality product at full price and then rebuild the customer base. The cafe rouge brand particularly is broken and needs a complete rethink to establish itself on the high street, may be too late with a new wave of competition coming imminently.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No positive outlook for this company

Waiter (Former Employee)

Pros50% discount in all Tragus Restaurant
    Where i Worked I had good collegues, nice and pleasant.

Conspoor quality products, no changes in the right way: all just to save costs and then they decrease the overall quality of the service. No care about the employees at all. No programmes for graduate in order to improve or renew the management at all level

Overall it is nice place to work, kind people, good team.

Waiter (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

ProsIt is easy to get in and it has an opportunity to start a career.

ConsUnpredictable working hours. no weekends, cristmas

Not the best place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery flexible on changing working schedules

ConsMess in management in all company

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire everyone!

Its Ok

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt depends on the performance of your restaurant. Main focus is labour cost. If you can manage the labour within budget which is not always easy then you will enjoy working. I like the work environment.

ConsWith recent change in higher management the company has increasingly become cost conscious. They want you to achieve so much by spending so little on labour.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift focus from financial performance towards developing a more understanding and collaborating work culture.

Strada restaurant - worst place to work

Waiter (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThey provide you with uniform =)
    They have very high staff turnover - easy to get a job =)
    They started recently with staff surveys, where you can say anything you think about your manager - so managers became noticeably nicer to staff since then

ConsEveryone is unhappy, starting from kitchen porters, chef to waiters, managers, etc. - low low pay, minimum wage, tips on top - sounds ok, but you have to fight for hours (you may start your shift at 12 and finish in 3 hours, and if you are on double, expect 3-4 hours break. Don't expect very good tips - in many strada restaurants they are always understaffed, especially in the kitchen - making clients wait too long or get not really good food - would they leave decent tips afterwards? I forgot, you work like a slave.

Advice to Senior Managementdo something with your high staff turnover, provide incentives for hard working and responsible people to stay in your company - so you won't waste so much money on training and food/drinks wastage. hourly rate has improved, overall pay has not - by cutting hours you save money now, but lose good people and clients, making you pay double tomorrow. Or find managers who cares about the long-term success of the company and not just this month's profit.

Working here is satisfying, but room for improvement when company policy is passed down to individual management.

Front of House Staff (Current Employee)
    Cobham, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

ProsCommitment to training in theory is very good and there is a strong base to this, not always followed through in practise. Cleanliness and professionalism are big pros in this restaurant business.

ConsCommunication from higher management is not always in touch witht he needs of individual premises. Communication from higher management can appear haphazard, not fully thought through, frequently changes, and doesn't always translate into good implementation by my immediate management. I would benefit from more specific training. I have previously been full time, now part time.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage constructive criticism from all levels of staff. Encourage respect from all staff towards all staff.

Worked for Tragus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tragus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tragus CEO John Derkach. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Tragus employees.