Trak Companies

great temp agency

Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Trak Companies

Pros

The recruiters are very nice and communicative. They're also very understanding, which is great because scheduling as a temp can be a little hectic.

Cons

The phone number always boots you back to the main desk, which can be annoying. Also, while they are very good about communicating, there are a lot of recruiters and it's hard to know if everyone is in the loop/on the same page. But that sort of comes with the territory, I think.

Helpful recruiters

I worked at Trak Companies part-time

Pros

The staff and my recruiter were very friendly. My recruiter was always on top of things and tried her best in trying to find a good position for me. She was always there to answer any questions and was very helpful.

Cons

Sometimes the hourly pay rates were kind of low but there were always good opportunities. Sometimes assignments were very last minute.

All they care about is their finder's fee.

Former Employee - Contactor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contactor in Washington, DC

I worked at Trak Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They found me a job in my field extremely quickly.
    The pay was decent.
    The interview process was not drawn out.
    Quick cash.

Cons

The staff is not transparent at all. If you work there as a contractor, they will lie to both you and the Client in order to keep their commission. Very, very shady.

Don't lie to your contractors.

Great team and room for growth!

I have been working at Trak Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am in the Records & Library brand of TRAK. The biggest pro is that there is a lot of opportunities in terms of learning and development, and there is always someone who is happy to answer questions or explain something to you.

The team is super supportive, and I was very surprised to see the level of sharing that occurs. While recruiters are certainly territorial about their candidates, management recently put rules into place about candidate ownership, and that has helped a lot. I have had a million questions about procedures and stuff, and I've never once had a BD or upper management not take the time to help me. The team have become my friends, and my boss is someone I greatly respect and admire, and we've become friends outside of the context of work. Honestly, I've been in sales for a really long time before being a Recruiter, and I was surprised at the lack of a cutthroat atmosphere. Management really encourages us to share and get along, and does commissions and splits in a way that discourages being competitive and cutthroat with each other.

I love that upper management doesn't micromanage! I have a level of autonomy that all of my friends are jealous of. I have the freedom to do my job as I think best and as long as I am hitting my goals and doing what needs to get done, I know that that will continue.

One of the things I am happiest with is that I am able to change and grow my job responsibilities easily. I take the initiative and do what needs to get done, and I can see it making a difference in my branch. The fact is, we're a small company and a small-ish team, so I am able to immediately see and feel my contribution to the company as a whole every time I get new job orders or make a placement!

We have these occasional internal competitions and the prizes are always pretty great!

The amount of vacation days we get is great! And upper management is super flexible about us taking time off when we need it, or working out of one of our other office locations.

The commission is good.

Cons

While the initial training is not the most robust, I've already seen things put in place to improve it in my time here and it continues to get better.

There is pretty consistent recruiter turnover. In my experience, this is very common for recruiting agencies, especially since we hire a lot of recruiters right out of college, but it still bums me out for people to leave after we become friends!

They followed through and found me something, but it took a while.

Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Trak Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Trak staff are very friendly and professional. They say they treat every placement as if it were a real job, and that's true. Their interview process is very thorough. They found me a three-week position that paid well and was challenging. The company I was placed with also thought highly of Trak and uses them all the time. And someone from their permanent division recently contact me with a lead for a permanent position.

Cons

They can be bureaucratic to the point where sometimes I received multiple copies of things and sometimes I didn't receive something, like my log-in for their timesheet application.

Not a friendly place to work.

I worked at Trak Companies

Pros

- Bought out by parent company, Special Counsel, which will add a much needed level of professionalism and cohesion.

- Good opportunity to learn recruitment as employees are tasked with running every aspect of their own desk.

Cons

- Extremely unprofessional. Very cut throat and consists of a lot of finger pointing. Older employees bully newer employees. If you are new there is not a sense of being welcomed onto a team in as much as you feel like you are in a competition with your team mates. Again, extremely unfriendly and unwelcoming.

- Management did not give all of the tools needed to be successful in the role. My technology never worked (I was on the phone with IT every other day. Seeing as this company is an Adecco group you'd think it would be handled better).

- Turnover is high.

- Listen, to your employees!

- Monitor the behavior of your more tenured members. The meanness is toxic, which is why this company has such a high turnover rate (note: it has nothing to do with people just leaving college and everything to do with the environment). Staffing can be very stressful and when you are being slammed by clients and candidates it is one thing...But when you have to deal with hostility from co-workers it only exacerbates everything else.

Heather Fowler is Great to Work With!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA

I worked at Trak Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked with Heather Fowler on 2 different assignments in the past several years. She has always been supportive and keen on working towards my best interests. I got placed in a full-time position with one assignment and received a call back about a full-time on a previous assignment. She has done very well in finding an assignment that closely relates to my goals and interests and negotiating my terms. She represents TRAK very well and is the only reason I recommend TRAK to any friends looking for jobs. TRAK is also a great way to get exposure into companies/industries that you probably wouldn't have otherwise gotten an opportunity for.

Cons

For anyone looking for a full-time job, temp work doesn't always guarantee a permanent job. Sometimes you'll be called for last minute assignments and have to drop everything to make it.

Promote Heather, she's great.

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

I worked at Trak Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career as a Recruiter or Sales Professional. Fun, collaborative, and supportive environment. Great exposure to full-life cycle recruiting. Tons of autonomy even for those fresh out of school.

Cons

Limited room for career advancement, salary caps.

Develop long-term career plans for entry and mid-level staff to retain top talent.

Great and helpful!

Current Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Trak Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly staff that are helpful if you have any questions or need to talk to them. They are also very flexible with your schedule. Great location in DC and good pay since it's every week. Good way to keep active and they really place you in your areas of interest.

Cons

You had to constantly call and pressure them into finding you opportunities. It's one that you have to watch out for yourself since they have so many people that also want assignments.
    Testing on computers does not work well with Macs.

Inappropriate and unprofessional behavior

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Trak Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At this point I don't have any yet.

Cons

I had a 3 day a week temp assignment where I was underpaid to do menial tasks. I exceeded the expectations of the staff but found a full time position else where. After being considerate enough to give Trak Services a heads up on my future plans, and then a confirmation that I landed my interview, I was scolded for leaving a 3 week assignment a few days early to take the better paying job. It was in very poor taste and very insulting for them to tell me I was off to a bad start with them, when in fact the client had nothing but glowing reviews about me. I had to correct the Trak Services rep, with regards to her unrealistic expectations of me working part time, at a job in which the pay didn't even meet my basic living expenses, instead of taking on a better paying, full time job that actually matched my professional background. It was so inappropriate and rubbed me the wrong way. In the end, she did agree with me that the client was very pleased with me and that it made more sense for me to work at a place that is more suitable for my professional goals, but she rubbed me the wrong way. I would not recommend this company.

Trak Companies Photos