TranSystems

Updated January 16, 2015
4.1

TranSystems CEO and Chairman of the Board Brian Larson
Brian Larson

Pros
  • I've gotten to work with a lot of great people at TranSystems through my career (in 3 reviews)

• There was also a lot of really talented employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You must defend your work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• They only promote the dumb, so all the good people quit (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Maybe a few tweaks, but poised for tremendous success!

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with on a day to day basis are some of the best in the industry. My office organization is very horizontal...there are office leaders, but everyone is 'on the same team' and works together to serve our clients. The office environment/culture is fantastic and respectful. There is enormous potential for career advancement. Compensation is above average. As an employee-owned company, every employee has option to invest in the company.

Cons

Unfortunately, a few bad apples over the years have resulted in exeedingly rigid project oversight, policies and PM software systems. In a world where every company (and even the public sector) is forced to do more with less, TranSystems has heaped on additional internal PM tasks and repsonsibilities that are almost more time consuming than actually doing the work and making clients happy.

We are still a small firm, or at least a medium-sized firm made up of a few large offices and many smaller offices. Try not to systematize, manage and control as if we are one of the large mega-companies.

Excellent opportunity to grow with the company

I have been working at TranSystems (more than 10 years)

Pros

much of opportunities to grow specially with upper management committment to invest on the company's growth for next 6 years as part of firm's vision

Cons

difficult to expand in regional level into new market and new areas, no problems with leadership, compensation, sopt bouneses and benefits

need to create environmental to better communicat with staff

A great company to grow with and very flexible to find ways to utilize my experience.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Phila, PA

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to use my talents to grow professionally and personally. The stock has been better than Wall Street for years.

Cons

As we continue to grow we always need to be aware of the challenges associated with new growth and business segments.

Keep changing in order to meet the marketplace and our younger staff. Continue to evaluate key leaders and make changes when necessary.

A great mid-size A/E firm

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great portfilio and great opportunites to grow. This is a place where you can grow your market and career. From day to day, it still feels like working for a small firm.

Cons

Company value is good and leadership is changing to be more inclusive and becoming more of a collective culture.

Continue to promote a culture of excellence. Continue to listen more from the next generation of owners.

Lots of exciting things going on...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a solid plan for growth with an emphasis on professional development and leadership. We have a great niche in Transportation Consulting and huge opportunities for continued sustainable growth.
    Great benefits and competitive salary structure.

Cons

Growth can be challenging, but the organization is committed to succeeding

Remain committed to your people and your people will lead the company to success

Poor management, to say the least

Former Employee - Structural Engineer II in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer II in Paramus, NJ

I worked at TranSystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code, flexible work hours, health insurance, quitting.

Cons

In the 5 years I worked at transystems our office shrunk from over 25 people to barely 20, and 80% of the people I worked with quit. Management does not know how to treat people. They force inspectors to work on railroads without permits and flagmen. When this was brought up to the safety director, he brushed it under the rug. The equipment is a joke, the vans are bad, not much good. They only promote the dumb, so all the good people quit. Don't be like the band on the Titanic, get out now.

Quit. It is incredible how all the glassdoor reviews have changed so drastically, all positive of course, the last 3 months, yet every week someone new quits. Many "key hires" have quit the last few months.

Sep 16, 2014Director of Safety

We appreciate your perspective. We take tremendous pride in our safety record and approach. Every company has isolated instances where they have to address issues swiftly and decisively. At ... More

Civil Engineer

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Lots of growth potential for those willing to take it on
    -Project diversity
    -small office feel with larger company backing
    -great colleagues and generally pleasant work environment

Cons

-wasteful spending at corporate level while tightening belts for local training and development
    -need to catch back up on technology

Continue course correction recently started including refocus on core business and employees.

Vet senior level hires and evaluate effectiveness early on before disenfranchising too many employees.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for your feedback. The refocus you reference is critical and underway.

Best Work Environment I've ever been in!

Former Employee - Civil Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at TranSystems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience with TranSystems was a good one. Only reason I am leaving is to move closer to family and sadly there is no office near me back home. Here are a few highlights as to why I like the company:

Great Work Environment
    Competitive Pay/Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule (You can have a home life)
    Challenging Projects

Cons

There aren't many things I don't like about TranSystems but here are a few areas for improvement:

Employee orientation process could be improved. Some new employees (specifically new-grad engineers) would benefit from taking maybe a week to two week long course to orientate them about the company, crash course in MicroStation, ProjectWise, and other relevant programs, and a course on our company specific standards (how to utilize them and where to access them).

I think putting an orientation program into place (specifically for new hire engineers/CAD designers) would help with the transition into on-going projects and help managers assign relevant work.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for the feedback! It is great to see we are moving in the right direction, but with definite opportunities. We are currently testing an update to our orientation that will hopefully ... More

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TranSystems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They encourage all employees to continue educating themselves and learning something new everyday.

Cons

Some colleagues don't seem to tolerate different cultural views and/or values.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for your feedback. Diversity of thought and perspective is critical to our success.

Amazingly high recent reviews!

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in North Charleston, SC

I worked at TranSystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO approval on glassdoor has risen more than 30% in span of 2 months! It's a miracle! (HR has been busy)

Cons

Completely out of touch with no cohesive stategy to move forward. This company is a shell of its former self with the current leadeship lacking vision and honesty.

16% voluntary termination rate should be addressed rather than writing fictiotious positive Glassdoor reviews. Seriously, that is just as lame.

Aug 26, 2014Director Org Dev

We respect your perception. We listened to our people, including the good people in Charleston over the past several months to help us craft our 2020 strategy. Becoming an employer of choice who ... More