TransAm Trucking

John Jacobson Jr.

Regret Leaving

Former Contractor - OTR Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Contractor - OTR Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

new trucks, greatt orientation, met lifelong friends

Cons

needed more miles, needed reason to stay

improve the miles

A Total Nightmare...RUN!

Current Employee - Company Driver of 20 Years in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Company Driver of 20 Years in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

MOST dispatchers and administrative personnel are very cordial

Cons

Swaps, in cab cameras, 62 mph, poor communication, lease drivers are treated like gold while company drivers are given the dirty work.

Treat ALL your drivers equally

Believe what you read!

Current Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Their trucks exterior is pretty.

Cons

I read all the reviews here and on a couple of other sites. Well I guess I thought my experience would be different, boy am I wrong. I work here now and this company is horrible. Dispatch never answers the phones no matter what day it is. If the equipment is broken it stays that way. No telling what will happen if your truck breaks down.you spend tons of money on faxes they don't do transflo. Advances are 50$ a week so make sure you have money to do until your first pay check. Long story short believe all you read here if there is a good review its not from a driver. They just don't care about their drivers.

it was great

Current Employee - Driver in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Driver in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking

Pros

great advancment options and loved the company

Cons

dont think i had any

none

It was absolutely horrible!

Former Employee - Lease Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Lease Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seeing the countryside. Not being micro managed

Cons

No money to be made as a lease driver

Listen more to the driver

Great so far

Current Employee - Drive in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Drive in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Equipment is really nice and is mostly all new and we'll taken care of

Cons

Terminal needs some work. Dirty bathroom and needs a bigger driver room

Need dental plan

Disappointing Experience - Proceed with Extreme Caution

Former Contractor - Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Contractor - Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Contract drivers get priority in load assignments and will average between 2400 and 3100 miles a week. If you sign a full term lease you can get a brand new truck to drive. A trucks have auxiliary power units, refrigerators, and electronic logs. Nice Kenworth fleet of T700's and T680's. I had a good driver manager.

Cons

First, I have read most of the bad reviews on this company and I would boldy confirm that most are true. Even though you get the miles you will not make the money. I'm not sure how they accomplish it, but they do legally by all the waivers and contractual agreements you sign. My first day of getting my brand new 2013 Kenworth T680 was equivalent to my induction day into military basic training. The overall management and policies of the company only benefit the company and not the drivers. There is a ton of smoke and mirrors to paint a pretty picture for new drivers. Also if you are ever a company driver and switch to contract driver you are never allowed to return to company driver status, even if you quit and hire back on. There is a written company policy not allowing it. So don't believe what the recruiters tell you or what you hear at orientation. Upper management and leadership is horrible. You are at there mercy when you drive for them. I must be honest and tell you that I am a very patient and professional driver and had success at TransAm. But it is not a company for the new student, although that's how they market themselves. You must know the industry and proceed with caution if you are to succeed here. Read all the fine print and ask any question you need to make educated decisions. Road assist is very slow should you break down. Forward and rear facing Drivecam cameras are installed in every truck. They record all the time the truck is in motion and up to 4 hours after stopping. However, only a programmed trigger such as an accident, hard break or speeding will trigger it to save a 12 second recording. This recording is only seen by a third party company and TranAm Safety, so they say. Extremely long waits at shippers and receivers with no detention pay for drivers. Long repair times in Olathe. I am college educated, retired and I would not recommend driving for this company unless you have no other options. I am being honest. Beware, the inspection stations I passed through frequently stop TransAm drivers for inspections. I have been told by officers that they pull in most TransAm drivers because of their poor reputation. I never had a write up in an inspection. My equipment and logs were in top shape.

Start over with your business approach and stop misleading drivers. If your business model is so great and profitable, than just be truthful about how you operate and why. You are playing games with peoples lives here.

we ain't in Kansas anymore toto!!

Former Employee - Ex Otr Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Ex Otr Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good company to drive for just starting out....good equipment,long waits in olathe if you need repairs.

Cons

lots of downtime at shippers

try polling your drivers before implementing new procedures.

Bad company.Believe the bad reviews.

Former Contractor - Anonymous
    Former Contractor - Anonymous

I worked at TransAm Trucking as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Dispatchers and load planners don't have a clue. You WILL sit for 5-8 hours at receivers and shippers.They will tell you that if you sit more than 2 hours at a dock,they will drop the customer. That's BS.If they lost the Tyson loads they would be out of business.They can't find loads to get you home near the time you asked for 8 days in advance.If you breakdown you will sit along the road for hours,and that is just with a flat tire. Night and weekend dispatch seldom answer phones.Road Assist dept. has only one person working on nights and weekends to handle over 1000 trucks. You will be lucky to take home any money each week due to how their contract is set up.Anyone backing them up on reviews is paid to sit and look for bad reviews and add only positive reviews to counter the bad reviews.

Stop lying to your drivers. Fleet Management should be working for McDonalds and be in charge of french fries.

T.A> experts on legalized theft

Former Employee - Lease Operator in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Lease Operator in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

The equipment was descent but could be better if they want to claim they give you the best equipment

Cons

Experts how to steal your hard earned money to be paid in weekly settlement.
    Illegal (constitutional right of privacy) use of video camera called drivers Cam which not only shoots out through the windshield but also into the sleeper. BEWARE!!! IF YOU TAKE YOUR WIFE OR GIRL FRIEND THEY WILL SHOOT VIDEO OF THINGS THAT ARE PRIVATE IN THE SLEEPER. I accepted (like a blind idiot) things they told me to be the truth only to find out in orientation that everything they told me was a lie. Told me they had group insurance got to orientation "Not For Owner Operators" Wanted $2500 deposit for a trained scent dog which according to FEMA I have to keep with me at all times(Trained emergency service scent dog and also a service dog for hearing impaired)I was also told if I drove 2500 miles I would clear $1000. 00 if I drove 3000 miles I would clear $1500.00. First week I drove 1946 and made $195.00 when asked where my money was they said I over filled (overfilled $695.00= 183 gallons i 2 100 gal. tanks) Second week I drove 2892 and made $85.00 and once again they say I over filled so if I start of with full tanks how do I over fill??? I have talked with other drivers and come across similar events....I TRIED TO GIVE BACK TRUCK WHEN I GOT IT BUT THEY WOULD NOT LET ME AND TOD ME THE WOULD STRAIGHTEN EVERY THING OUT...DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU ONLY LIES COME FROM THEIR MOUTHS

ffirst thng you need to do is learn to tell teh truth and then you need to learn how to treat your drivers better you know they guys and gals out here on the road that is doing the job while you sit on your rear