TransAm Trucking Reviews

2.6
John Jacobson Jr.

1. Trans am

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

Will give you a second chance at driving when your mvr is not in the greatest condition. Gave me a opportunity when everyone else said no to me.

Cons

You have to be away from your family for a long period of time. It can be hard especially when you have young kids.

Lease

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had freedom to do as I pleased. Had a good coach so I was one of the lucky people that knew how to gain success from the company. You do get your home time as long as you put it in in the allotted time. Everything you need to know is given to you. It's up to you to read and understand it though.

Cons

Night dispatch wasn't as great as day dispatch had a lot of issues in that department. Truck broke down the same week I got it

Advice to Management

Had a great coach and a great driver manager. Other department did a great job too keep up the good work

Decent place to launch a career in truck driving

Current Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

Despite the occasional breakdown (after all, things can and will break) and mechanical failure, the Kenworth T680 and T700 units are top notch and well-equipped. If you're willing to work with your Driver Manager, he or she will give you the miles.

Cons

Load Planning, Dispatch, and Road Assist are a bit understaffed so getting through to them in times of need can be difficult. The on-board computer is supposed to minimize this difficulty but wait times can still be high, depending on the time and circumstance. As with all companies, communication between departments needs to improve. No single department should live in a silo.

Advice to Management

Improve communication by stressing relationship building between departments and bring more staff in Load Planning, Dispatch, and Road Assist. Keeping those departments understaffed is being penny-wise, pound foolish. Everyone is only earning if the wheels are turnin.

5. Run Away! Better Options Out There!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have bathrooms. Seriously, nothing positive to say here.

Cons

TransAm Truck is not a good place to work. I was told to do whatever it takes to penalize a driver although is son and wife were killed in a car crash. As a company, we should have done something to help him but instead it's like the saying "beat someone when they are already down." I'm looking for a new job as I type this cause enough is enough!

Advice to Management

You are going to wake up to need someone someday and all of this will you remember as to why nobody will care about you someday.

6. lease operator

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Olathe, KS

Pros

easy to get hired on

Cons

serious lack of concern for the driver..

Advice to Management

improve communication between planning and dispatch and all other depts. pay drivers better. dont spend all training time convincing every new driver to lease a truck..many are not ready for that

Night Shift Dispatch

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

I like the 7 on-7 off work schedule and flexibility to swap days. The pay is also good for a job that requires no experience or education.

Cons

I don't like that they expect too much work from few the few people that work nights, the company culture is one of nepotism and favoritism, and they require you to lie to drivers and customers.

Advice to Management

Add more dispatchers and planners because everyone is overworked and things get missed. Also, recruiting needs to stop hiring the drivers that have no experience. The majority of them have no idea how to do their job even after being in the truck for a few months.

Avoid At All Costs!!!

Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They truly have some of the nicest equipment I have seen from a large trucking company. As a result, the living conditions were much better than most other trucking gigs I've done. I drove a 2014 Kenworth T680. It was brand spanking new with only 14 miles on the odometer. It made you feel like you had arrived at your final destination, like you'd never want to work for someone else again until...

Cons

The dispatchers were more than incompetent at their jobs. At first, I got some decent loads with some really good miles. After the first week though, I started getting regional-haul loads that were constantly load swapped on me. This made it very difficult to make a decent living while paying hefty fees to own/operate that beautiful truck. Even though they told us that we are independent contractors they still treated us like a company driver. In fact, I'd say that the company drivers got some of the better treatment around there. You were able to perform your own trip planning but the loads did not allow for ANY delays at ALL!!! Also when-ever you had any technical problems, ie the reefer unit or flat tires on the trailer, the support was very slow to get your problems resolved. Day and night dispatchers do not communicate with one another so when the sun goes down, your miles will likely change because they really don't have a clue whats going on during the day at all!!! So, to sum it all up for ya, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!! THEY WILL ROB YOU BLIND AND SEND YOU TO THE POOR HOUSE WITH OUT A CARE IN THE WORLD!!! I am not just a disgruntled previous employee who worked there. I'm actually telling you how it REALY is to work for them. I know I'd appreciate it if someone warned me ahead of time. Thank you for reading.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to prospective drivers. Stop swapping loads on everyone because were all working hard just trying to provide for our families. We don't need the extra crap you all dish out to people. That is both highly unprofessional but is also very immature. GROW UP!!!

9. Not an employee friendly company

Former Employee - Owner Operator in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Owner Operator in Rockwall, TX

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best thing was orientation, they put you in a decent hotel a feed you

Cons

Could care less about your family emergencies..long hours and excessive demands from employees an contractors. Pay is not all that great for the miles you drive,

Advice to Management

Don't give your drivers a situation to choose between family and the company.

10. Scam machine

Former Employee - Driver in Titusville, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Titusville, FL

I worked at TransAm Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

Good equipment, fast training period

Cons

Force lease, bad miles, bad driver manager, lack of care for you, only there to pay for their trucks over and over again.

Advice to Management

Be a human being

11. neutral

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are very helpful. Always willing to help you. Trucks are nicely equipped. You have the freedom to turn down trips if you do not go there.

Cons

Being a leased driver can be very stressful. Going home sometimes can set you back. Some of there policies seem to favor the company more than the driver

Advice to Management

Revise the apu policy. Find a place to go for the drivers to go when there truck is being serviced at the TransaAm facility.

RSS Feed </> Embed