TransCanada

Updated October 6, 2014
3.8

TransCanada President, CEO, and Director Russell K. (Russ) Girling
Russell K. (Russ) Girling

Pros
  • work life balance and the benefits were good (in 9 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, although the insurance plan is changing so the health benefits won't be as good as they used to be (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • constant management changes, work load, middle management that really knows little about what they are managing (in 6 reviews)

• heirarchy and office politics can be draining (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pockets of greatness

I worked at TransCanada full-time

Pros

Some departments are great to work for

Cons

Some departments are now. After the SAP go-live, employee morale took a dive

Listen to your people more

Stuck in the past

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TransCanada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really smart people in the ranks. If you're not concerned about climbing the corporate ladder you can find work to keep you occupied. Benefits are OK. Some travel opportunity.

Cons

The corporate structure is a joke. No one knows who does what. Projects are always delayed. Managers are among the worse I have ever seen. Way too many layers. We think we're inovative, but we really are not. Senior leadership is an old boys club.

Time to really shake things up. Most of the managers here don't understand how to run a business and make money. Time to forget about Keystone XL and move on. Do some post project reviews and get rid of the people who keep bringing projects way over budget. Stick to your fundamental business.

Russell K. Girling said people first

Former Employee - Lead Document Control in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lead Document Control in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TransCanada as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible days off as you are a contractor you don't get paid.

Cons

I was hired for the worst of the project that TransCanada [Tamazunchale Pipeline System]. This is giving revenues to Canada. Expats go there to avoiding taxes weather and have a good life. The Management people is ignorant not experience how to deal with other Hispanics only beanies [mexicans]. Mexicans rule this project is very sad that you are not treated equal because you are not Mexican, you cannot grow in this project, They do all the documentation in their own way. Don't follow TransCanada standards and Procedures. I was treated unfairly, bullied by one indian mexican contractor as me but very loved for the manager and young canadians.

Do an audit how they processing documentation - Hire qualified people - Treat everyone with Respect does not matter if you are a mexican or not. Don't give Mexicans so many preferences and create conflict between other ethnicity.
    Put a good EDM System

Overall a great company with good work-life balance

Current Employee - Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TransCanada full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good office culture, generally a great bunch of people working here, nice to have 4 day long weekends in the summer

Cons

Would be nice to have more flexible work schedules - ie working from home and/or working longer hours for 2 fridays off a month (like another big firm across the street!)
    Typical large company, lots of bureaucratic IT policies like making a business case in order to get new software
    Computers can be very old and slow, upgrade time is long

Oil Pipelines Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Oil Pipelines Engineering in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Oil Pipelines Engineering in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TransCanada as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The managers, at least mine, are mostly great. They provide good feedback and appreciation for what you do. There are lots of good opportunities to learn different things if you look for them

Cons

I did not see my manager a lot, so most of the time I was stuck with my team. There were few members in the team that were horrible. They would give you all of the crappy work that they don't want to do, and they tell you it will be a "nice learning exerience". BS. You will feell like a dumpster, all the crap will be dumped on you unless you stand up for yourself.

Treat you interns better. Give them more meaningful tasks, even if they are small.

Company

Former Employee - App Support Junior Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - App Support Junior Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TransCanada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good work Environment good people, and amazing culture

Cons

Ability to Advance takes quite sometime

Keep Up the great JOB

Good place to work

I have been working at TransCanada

Pros

- Decent salary
    - ok advancement opportunity
    - culture is good relaxing atmosphere

Cons

- training is good if you are new to a job otherwise hard to get training for growth purposes
    - relaxing atmosphere also a negative as some employees simply don't perform and very little is done about it

annual reviews should really take a good look at the non performers and lose the dead weight

Good company - slow career growth

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TransCanada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation, nice work environment, interesting work, opp to learn OTJ

Cons

HR policies have no backbone. Leaders place no consequences on negative actions -- more emphasis placed on bottom dollars than on human 'resources'. To much nepotism leads to very political clique environment on some teams. Preference to hire more youthful individuals leads to a high degree of inexperience impacting overall team performance.

Place more women in leadership roles. Hire qualified experienced people and stop hiring your neighbors kid .. Provide all your leaders with a formal leadership training program throughout the organization. Enforce your corp policies and live your corporate values.

Intern

I have been working at TransCanada as an intern

Pros

opportunity to develop new skills

Cons

no enough supervisory to give directions

Summer Student: Wonderful experience, technical skills developed.

Current Employee - Summer Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Summer Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TransCanada as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excuse the point form: High degree of operational latitude (freedom from micromanagement). Flexible hours. Decent pay (for a summer student position). Was given interesting work which taught me valuable technical skills. Was fully utilized. Was given a surprising amount of responsibility given my position as an intern. Donuts on Friday.

Cons

Printers are bad. Air conditions seems to have a mind of its own. Wifi is pretty sketchy. Was only given a single, small monitor.