TransCanada

Be The First To
Add Photos

TransCanada President, CEO, and Director Russell K. (Russ) Girling

Russell K. (Russ) Girling

Pros
  • work life balance and the benefits were good(in 9 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, although the insurance plan is changing so the health benefits won't be as good as they used to be(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • constant management changes, work load, middle management that really knows little about what they are managing(in 6 reviews)

• heirarchy and office politics can be draining(in 3 reviews)

Company

App Support Junior Developer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood work Environment good people, and amazing culture

ConsAbility to Advance takes quite sometime

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Up the great JOB

Pleasant with the exception of cross border issues.

Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Proswork life balance and the benefits were good

Conscross border relationship challenges with upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Summer Student: Wonderful experience, technical skills developed.

Summer Student (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsExcuse the point form: High degree of operational latitude (freedom from micromanagement). Flexible hours. Decent pay (for a summer student position). Was given interesting work which taught me valuable technical skills. Was fully utilized. Was given a surprising amount of responsibility given my position as an intern. Donuts on Friday.

ConsPrinters are bad. Air conditions seems to have a mind of its own. Wifi is pretty sketchy. Was only given a single, small monitor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Intern

Software Developer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros_ Good pay
    _ Friendly Environment

Cons_ A few awful managers.
    _ My manager (Sam) is super cool.

Advice to Senior Management_ Make employees work harder.

By far the BEST company I've ever worked for!!

ProsA great company headed in a great direction. Overall just NICE people to work with -- people will take time to help you, and the politics are kept to a minimum. A rarity among companies today, and quite refreshing from most of the jobs I've held. Salary and benefits are terrific. The salary is very competitive, but so is getting a job here -- they want good candidates and they want to keep their employees. The health benefits are top notch. Retirement benefits are also the best of any company I've ever worked for. I put 5% of my salary into my 401K, and they match that entire 5% PLUS add another 7%. So that's 17% going into my retirement account, and I only had to put in 5% of it. Immediate vesting. Pretty nice! They also have a pension option in lieu of the extra 7% 401k contribution.

ConsThus far I personally have not found any cons, although I have only worked here for a few months. However, I work on the US side, and I do hear rumblings from some of my colleagues that the Canada side sometimes does not fully understand the needs of the US side. Since the decisions are made in Canada (Calgargy headquarters), I suppose sometimes that could translate into an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of

Great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement very approachable, understandable, willing to work with you

ConsLong working hours, deadlines are important

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork life balance is great

ConsOpportunities to move up are neglibile

Good place to work

Pros- Decent salary
    - ok advancement opportunity
    - culture is good relaxing atmosphere

Cons- training is good if you are new to a job otherwise hard to get training for growth purposes
    - relaxing atmosphere also a negative as some employees simply don't perform and very little is done about it

Advice to Senior Managementannual reviews should really take a good look at the non performers and lose the dead weight

Good company - slow career growth

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood compensation, nice work environment, interesting work, opp to learn OTJ

ConsHR policies have no backbone. Leaders place no consequences on negative actions -- more emphasis placed on bottom dollars than on human 'resources'. To much nepotism leads to very political clique environment on some teams. Preference to hire more youthful individuals leads to a high degree of inexperience impacting overall team performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more women in leadership roles. Hire qualified experienced people and stop hiring your neighbors kid .. Provide all your leaders with a formal leadership training program throughout the organization. Enforce your corp policies and live your corporate values.

Pretty great so far.

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits
    3 weeks vacation
    1 week PTO
    Extra Company contributions above the 5% match to 401k if you elect out of pension plan

ConsNot too many areas for growth in the US at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementMore guidance and leadership

Worked for TransCanada? Contribute to the Community!