TransCorr National Logistics

Greg Eddy
1 Rating

"The Club"

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

Very fast paced. Learn on the job and you learn very quickly. Company hires similar energetic people who can do the job and care about the company. I'd honestly recommend using them if someone asked me about freight brokers. The team is expected to get the job done and they always do.

Cons

There is "The Club" where you're either "In" or your "Out" with the management team. It's not required to be a suck up to get in the club, but it will definitely help. One guy who not long ago transferred down to their Indianapolis office was a true ass kisser and it helped him get to the top very very quickly. It's also very easy to get kicked out of the club. One day you may see the group(that you used to be a part of) of managers and leaders heading into the conference room and suddenly you're on the outs. Oh and they hold a lot of meetings in there daily. Sometimes 4 or 5 a day. Really? Then everything has to be a secret after all of these meetings and only a select few are in the know even though everyone can see what is going on due to the way the office is setup.

From what I've seen on here, salaries have dropped considerably since I worked there. Not surprised one bit. My advice to those who go to work there: Get some experience, make a few friends, and move on. Otherwise, they'll move you on out in a matter of time. They're always looking for the weakest link.....ALWAYS!

Good luck arguing your side with the head honcho. If you don't agree with him then you're instantly on his bad list.

Retire and take all of your toys with the TNL logo on them with you.

Let this "Golden opportunity" pass by, it is a company run by a small unit of people that are related to each other pat

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grandville, MI

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal trainer that you can use on your lunch or after work.

Cons

Management is very weak and will lie to employees, as long as they look good to upper management

Just when you think the morale cannot get lower, the managers ignore changes that need to be made.

Wonderful company, if you like to be belittled

Former Employee - Operations/Sales in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Operations/Sales in Grandville, MI

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The gym, the personal trainer, the fast paced work. Everyone seems to be young and right out of college. Challenging.

Cons

Where do I begin? The first red flag I should have realized is when I wasn't allowed to use my real name there. About 90% of the employees are not called by their real first name. Not only that, the managers care so little about the employees that they don't bother to learn your real name. You are just a nickname that they give you.

Second red flag was the day I found someone stealing money from me (who was best friends with one of the managers) and when I went to the manager I was told "things like this happen, and you need to deal with it" And then I was later written up for "not being a team player". Oh I found out later that the guy stealing from me got promoted to manager also. Convenient.

Third is when I didn't get the raise I was told I would get. When I was hired on I was told when I would get a raise and the amount it would be. That day came, and I was promoted like I was told but "they just couldn't afford to give me the raise I was told". And a month later when I brought it up again I was told "if you don't like it then you don't have to work here" Great way to encourage empowerment and self worth.

Fourth is when I was no longer allowed to work out on my lunch break. MY LUNCH BREAK, I was allowed to leave and go eat, or I could stay and eat at my desk, I could go do backflips in the parking lot if I chose to, but I was not allowed to work out at the FREE GYM that was literally 30 feet from my desk that this company bought for the employees to work out. They also pay for a personal trainer.

Fifth is I was required to lie to customers on a daily basis. If we could find a customer that is willing to take less money to do the same work then we would just call the first guy and lie to him about how the freight isn't available anymore. Managers couldnt understand why I hated calling customers back and lying to them.

And the last thing, the company is big into charities, which is awesome. But, I signed up for a charity event sponsored by the company, and after being fired for "lying about what I do at work" I asked for my money back for the charity event because I did not want them to represent me, and they told me "No, what kind of person would want money back from a charity" It makes me wonder if the charity even got the money.

This company is 1 of 2 things. Either too large too fail and they will continue running a business that has no loyalty from its employees or customers. Or they will fail when they get too big and it will affect a lot of people in a negative way, and the owners wont even care.

It doesn't matter what advice is given here, they already know the best way to run a company, just ask them. It's a shame you guys don't have consideration for the employees that do all the work. Management is not the only one that should recieve perks.

Great

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

Great, growing company. Innovative and lots of opportunities for advancement or lateral transfers. With such a big company it's impossible to please everyone.

Cons

They demand you work hard, be on time, be positive (which sounds easy but there were individuals there that were mopey, pouted, and wanted to bring others down because they hate their lives).

Great place to work for some

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

Opportunity to travel and perform business to business sales.
    Opportunity to make good money for 12-24 months in sales

Cons

Management constantly changes commission schedules. Managers tend to motivate by yelling and pointing out faults. Office has more than its share of "yes men". I did notice in my time there that management was more concerned with how they could dock my pay and take my customers from me than they were with helping me to grow. I made great money there due to spot market, but in the end I had to leave because having to deal with management daily outweighed the nearly six figure income I was on track to make (in the Michigan job market that is certainly saying a lot). Management pushes a "team" atmosphere, but the team is very quick to throw you under the bus at the drop of a dime.

Take note of all the great sales people that leave while making great money. It may be that the management style needs to change in order to keep the good sales people. The front door should not revolve as much as it does. I really enjoyed a lot of my time there, but the bad just outweighed the good.

An enthusiastic team atmosphere where you can learn & grow professionally

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

Management asks for input and even gives an award for the most creative idea submitted during the year. They improved the bonus structure so we make more money when we book loads. The more loads we book, the more money we can make per load. Also, you don’t have to be in sales to have customers & make a little extra commission each month. I have a customer just because I answered the phone and helped someone with a rate. The more hats you wear, the better you'll do. Managers are out on the floor, involved in the atmosphere & helping wherever needed. The Ops contests & group outings are always fun, especially when we get to leave work early for a Tigers game!

Cons

The new bonus structure is designed to pay a lot of money when we have a lot of freight. But when we're slow we can’t make as much money either. It can get stressful when dealing with customers and missing loads, but that's the same as any job.

Keep finding ways to incent your employees to make more money. This is a fun place to work, especially when we are busy and making money! Keep teaching your team about the market & how to make money and stay profitable. I understand that we don’t have a lot of freight, but at least we are making money and I have a job.

TransCorr National Logistics is a great place to work with many perks and many good people

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

Commissions are fair; the company gym and fitness trainer; group outings; charities that they support; internship opportunities; promote from within; managers help you set and reach your goals

Cons

Can be some long hours in the summer; not always fun to deal with truck drivers on the phone, but that is the industry; need a better 401k match

Keep taking educated risks and rewarding your employees with cash incentives.

A high energy team oriented company with true family values and strong business ethics

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

I have been with the company for several years and there are too many to list, but I will try to cover the majority of them.
    -the company has strong business ethics and morals in an industry where many do not
    -there is great energy in the office and everyone works as a big team. If one person has to stay late to finish their work there are always volunteers that want to help out to get the job done sooner.
    -a free gym available to all employees and their spouses. Many employees opt to use it during their lunch hour which helps refresh them to finish off the rest of the day strong.
    -a free personal trainer for any employee interested
    -free fitness classes including spin, yoga, kick boxing, P-90X and Zumba
    -managers are very approachable for the most part and all sit in the middle of the action. You won't find a single manager slacking off and hiding away in a personal office
    -employees often get sent to sporting events as a reward for their hard work
    -big prizes and gift cards are given out every month through the purple ticket drawings.
    -all employees are invented and bonused based on performance. Ops people get load coverage bonuses based on how many loads they cover each period. Sales are paid a base salary and comission based on their sales figures.
    -TransCorr gives a lot of money back to the community every year through several charities. They sponsor grades for a local poverty stricken elementary school where they buy every kid Christmas gifts. They also sponsor local school sport teams
    -it is not a senority based company, but rather a completely performance based one. A few of the managers made their way into management within 2 years through hard work and proven performance
    -they only hire people with good attitudes who are also team players

It's obvious to me that many of the negative comments posted on this site are coming from disgruntled previous employees who couldn't cut it here. It's not that hard people. All you have to do is come in with a good attitude and give it all your effort. Too many people now days expect everything to be handed to them without earning it. If you are looking for a place to work where you expect to "get rich" fast and have things handed to you without proving yourself, then this is not the place for you. If you want to work for a highly energetic company in which you basically choose you own destiny through hard work and a good attitude, then TransCorr could be the perfect fit for you. Employees that truely want to make it here will and they will be rewarded for their efforts.

Cons

The stress of dealing with truck drivers, dispatchers and the occasional upset customer can be too much for some to handle, but ifs really not that bad as long as you make light of it and know how to move on. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating because of all of the changes that constantly go on with our processes and setup, but the management group is a great team that only makes changes that will help the business grow.

Continue to make TransCorr such a good place to get your feet wet in the transportation industry or settle down and start your career. Never forget the people and things that got the company to where it is now and please continue to install strong business ethics/morals into everything you do.

I worked in operations and trust me, don't bother with this place

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

-Outside of the owners or upper management, the staff is comprised of mostly good natured, hard working people who are fun to be around.

-A few local Charities and groups are given special attention each year.

-High employee turnover and repeated attempts to hire employees at such a low starting salary ensure that practically anyone qualifies for employment with no experience...which is a great short term fix for the immediate community in a down job market.

-If you can accept the trade off of all of the Cons listed below, there is a free gym with some decent programs like spin class and personal training.

-Sporting event and concert event tickets are given out from time to time.

-It's a job in a slightly down market.

Cons

-Very long hours at a salary that is quite possibly the lowest entry salary in the business.

-Stated hours are from 7:30am to 5pm M-F with an hour for lunch, but in reality lunches are frowned upon unless you take 10 minutes to RUN, grab fast food and get it back to your desk as quickly as possible, and the end of the day is arbitrary depending on management and can be as late as 7pm. It takes the computers a long time to boot up and log in and the start time is "computers up and running" so you need to be there 15 minutes early or risk being punished by management if your computer is not up an running. Plus roughly every four weeks each operations employee is required to work a "late shift" of an extra hour M-TH and a Saturday morning from 8-noon. Late shift is rewarded with leaving on Friday at 3pm instead of 5pm, but if it's a busy day on Friday, employees who take their time off are frowned upon and looked at like traitors by upper management. Added together, the average employee puts in well over 50 hours per week with no additional incentives.

-Employees are treated as either an infinitely elastic resource and continually stretched to their breaking point, or as completely expendable. A common response by management, which I've experienced personally, when someone asks about the long hours, missing lunches or for a small annual raise to cover the cost of living increases is that all of the employees should consider themselves lucky to even have a job in this economy and if they don't like it they can leave and try to find something better.

-Employer retirement contribution to 401K is very limited.

-Rather than raise salaries or offer better benefits, management has opted to spend a significant amount of company money on what appear to be "splurge" purchases for the benefit of management.

-Management staff with very little to no management experience outside of Transcorr so they don't adapt quickly to industry changes, and are very defensive regarding employee questions and any form of constructive criticism. Questions regarding management rules or decisions, regardless of validity, are met with hostility or simply ignored in most cases.

-Very low upward mobility. Upper management is really just a term for anyone not stuck in operations and just about every move within the company is lateral. "promotions" such as "board leader", which basically means you are responsible for an assigned territory made up of a state or several states, don't receive any additional pay or incentives for the increased work.

-Management preaches the idea of a team atmosphere, but it's pointed more towards a "hive" method of thinking rather than teamwork. As long as everyone agrees with their boss and does their jobs exactly as directed, the team is working together great. If anyone disagrees or has an objective opinion or criticism, they are not "team players".

-Be prepared for a lot of negative reinforcement from management. Accomplishments are not always rewarded, but mistakes are always punished and usually publicly thrown in an employee's face.

Please realize that you are not simply part of the problems outlined here. Because employee opinions are unwelcome by management and free thinking is discouraged, you are the entire problem. Reward your employees in ways that are not passive aggressive or have a negative trade off involved. Accept constructive criticism and adapt as an actual team. If you're going to preach about a team atmosphere, learn what the term actually means. Employees want competitive compensation, an enjoyable working atmosphere and acknowledgement of their hard work, not spin class and occasional baseball tickets to mask the real issues.

Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics

Pros

There are big windows that allow the sun in and also provide the option of jumping out of.... Also, if you don't mind walking on eggshells, you'll find some nice people doing the same. :)

Cons

Management really starts and ends with 2 people who have become disconnected with real-time industry trends and expectations; there are no real game plans to address challenges. The rest of the "management team" are comprised of lackeys with no real industry experience outside of TransCorr. These individuals get most of their accounts (and money) from business brought in by people (like you) that are hired and fired on a continuous basis.
    For newer employees, you will be paid a very low salary with expectations you cannot possibly meet. You will have no control of your accounts, you will not get any support from mgmt., you will be told constantly why they CAN'T do something, your freight will not get booked if they don't like you or for any childish reason, there are layers upon layers of unnecessary "procedure" to get the simple things done... the list goes on and on.
    Eventually, you'll be let go because your numbers (which you have no control) are too low or they have come up with some other arbitrary reason.
    ADVICE TO JOB SEEKERS: RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. YOU WANT CAREER OPTIONS, NOT A COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND TALENT.

Hang it up and close the doors. Earn your stripes in logistics - certain individuals there would benefit by re-starting their careers with a paper route... Seriously.