TransMarket Group LLC

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
4.2

Doug Adams

Good experience overall, although can understand some negative opinions

Former Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment
    2 meals on the company/day
    challenging, team based environment

Cons

payout of accumulated PnL can be difficult, consult recent employees candidly to get more insight. I left at the time when Management was changing

Great culture and lots of learning opportunities

Current Employee - Trade Logic Developer/Algorithmic Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trade Logic Developer/Algorithmic Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Casual and laid back like a start up, but at the same time has a very motivating environment
    - Flat structure with no hierarchy, very easy to talk to people to seek help and collaborate and share ideas
    - Fast growing firm with lots of learning opportunities; you work hard and you will get rewarded
    - Put many effort and patience in training new employees

Cons

- Nothing to complain about

- Keep up the good work!

Nice place for starter to learn.

Former Employee - Quant Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Quant Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good company to start with for fresh student. You can learn and grow in a relatively rushed environment.

Cons

Too many changes. Hard to keep consistent career growth.

Be really dedicated to improve your team other than impatience to fire people.

Pretty good experience

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

High payment, good training course

Cons

A little bit busy and stress out

Junior Trader

I worked at TransMarket Group LLC full-time

Pros

At least gave us a chance to make money which we did.

Cons

Lack of freedom to expand group.

Going downhill fast

Former Employee - Trade Logic Developer
    Former Employee - Trade Logic Developer

I worked at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firm used to be great when Ray Cahnman was CEO. Since Doug Adams took over, the firm has gone downhill fast.

Cons

Some of the best people left, and Doug has been cheating traders out of money. The CEO is a liar and when traders perform well, he pays them less than their contract says. He gets sued and rumor has it, uses firm money to defend himself until the traders give up.

Fire Doug Adams and hire someone honest.

Opportunity to learn and move up fast.

Current Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everything is merit-based, if you are good you move up fast. A lot of great minds and sharing of strategies/technology. Management cares about employees and tries hard to put them in positions where they can excel. Great office culture - laid back but competitive

Cons

Long interview process, sometimes long hours (but not like i-banking)

Don't try to do too much

Great firm - rewards hard work and encourages creative thinking

Current Employee - Senior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Very strong work ethic among employees
    -Two free catered meals each day
    -Strong communication between management and traders
    -Stress on risk management - rigorous process for risk approval
    -Collaboration across desks and knowledge sharing
    -Casual and friendly environment
    -Significant opportunity for growth and employees gain responsibility early
    -Bonus diversification across entire firm and fair bonus structure
    -Many free social firm events including a corporate skiing retreat

Cons

Long and difficult interview process

Keep doing what you have been doing.

Trader Intern

Current Employee - Trader Intern
    Current Employee - Trader Intern

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Useful Work
    As an intern at TransMarket, I've worked on several projects that have been used extensively by my desk and other desks at the firm. The projects given to interns are intellectually challenging (rather than just tinkering with spreadsheets) and designed to directly contribute to the desk's strategy. Projects can vary from improving current models to developing completely new models/strategies. Generally, an intern will have one main project they work on the entirety of their summer internship, with some smaller projects that depend on the desk's trading needs. There can also be trading opportunities depending on the situation of the desk.

Training
    The summer training program is very strong and has been refined over the past few summers. The training program includes case studies, books, homework assignments, general trading best practices, and firm models (all the tools needed to understand the business of TransMarket and their role in the markets). This past summer the training program even included a poker class. The training program is run by the CEO and some of the classes are also taught by veteran traders at the company. Another vital part of the training process at TransMarket is communicating with and observing your manager, who is usually a head trader on a desk. From my experience, the traders at TransMarket have been very open and willing to mentor and teach interns about market dynamics.

Culture
    The culture at TMG is very team-oriented. Collaboration across desks is encouraged, improving the efficiency of the firm. I have seen several instances where multiple desks have benefited from a single project. Meals are provided by the firm, and there are several company outings throughout the year, including a ski trip. There is usually one intern event per week during the summer which full time employees also attend. Overall, all the people are nice and willing to help.

Cons

Nothing major. Cross-desk collaboration is something they have been improving the last couple years, and I think it will continue to benefit the firm.

Keep up the good work

Trading Internship

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransMarket Group LLC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Training
    The strongest part of the internship was the 8 week training program that was primarily run by the CEO. This ran every day for all of the interns and new hires. Each intern was given 7 or 8 books to read and we were also given homework assignments. A multitude of topics were covered like understanding key terms, optimal theory on trade execution, and explanation of firm models. There were also case study lectures that were given by traders that explained specific scenarios that have occurred at the firm.

Project
    Another key part of the internship is the project. You are assigned to one desk the entire summer, and the majority of your day will be spent improving the firm models and trading strategies. Instead of being instructed on exactly what to do, you are given free reign over the type of project that you work on.

Culture
    Because of the team dynamic that TMG has, it is very important to foster close communication between employees. To do this, there are a ton of company events to integrate interns into the firm. During the summer, there was an event every week that the majority of the firm participated in. Because interns get to know everyone in the firm during these events, I had no reservations about asking questions to managing directors or the head of trading if I needed help.

Cons

I started the internship a few weeks before the start of the training sessions, so I was a little overwhelmed to start off.

Keep doing what you're doing.