TransPerfect

Updated December 12, 2014
2.4

TransPerfect Co-CEO Elizabeth Elting
Elizabeth Elting

Pros
  • Great people to work with, fun to be around colleagues from so many countries (in 13 reviews)

• The concept of Project Management is appealing (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No emphasis on a healthy work-life balance; just live for and die for the Client (in 33 reviews)

• stressfull, long hours, tight deadlines, pressure to deliver your best all the time (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Translator

Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with from Staffing manager, Project manager to other translator colleague. People are competent, pleasant and interesting.
    Flexible hours, work up to 40 per week with a good degree of flexibility on how one wants to organize the hours over week days.

Cons

Restricted access to office amenities

Climate of angst and abuse, CEOs sueing each other, company going down the drain

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you join now, you may be able to witness first hand how the two owners are destroying what they have built

Cons

Your job will consist of telling half lies to clients and translators, trying to squeeze the last dollar out of both customers and suppliers.

You will be required to falsify documents, charging clients for "sworn translations" which have never seen the desk of any sworn translator. You will invent complaints so you do not have to pay the translator whose translation you just sold as "a high quality, sworn translation". You will lose any sense of self esteem because of the climate of deceit and dishonesty. You will work in an office which strongly resembles the boiler room in The Wolf of Wall Street.

The two co-CEOs are now suing each other and in their affidavits use explatives and F-words which will not be published here. The accusations range from sexual abuse to financial malversations. Each of them predicts the imminent demise of the company. Glassdoor policy prevents me from posting the details, but a quick search on Google will provide you with all you need.

Stay away from this place.

Get on a talkshow together and let us know when it will be broadcast. This is better than Jerry Springer!

Stay away as far as you can

I worked at TransPerfect

Pros

- Family-oriented environment
    - Exposure to senior management
    - Happy hours and company parties are always a blast

Cons

- No room for growth
    - There is high favoritism towards men and women who are sexually appealing only get promoted
    - Sexual harassment by men who are in higher positions
    - Time off policies are pretty standard, but my manager always gave me a hard time even though I announced many weeks or days in advanced due to her being biased and not my colleague who worked there for a much shorter period of time and would take more days without her knowledge
    - Manager ostracizes subordinates thus creating tension within the department (She told many of my colleagues about her assumption of my personal life even though I never discussed it with her or anyone in the company)
    - Overall, manager was unprofessional and incompetent. She has been dismissed by other managers and all employees under her have quit due to her unprofessionalism and lack of training. To this day, I am not sure how she is still employed there.

All managers and employees need proper training for their positions. Ostracizing and disrespecting other employees, especially subordinates, not recognizing subordinates for their work and creativity and sexual harassment should not be tolerated and be strongly implemented in training. Promoting those who are capable and proved themselves that they can do more than what they were hired to do should be recognized more. CEO's should work together to improve the company morale and standards instead of suing each other. All of these issues combined are leading to a downfall of a company that should be thriving to succeed on all levels besides monetary. It all starts from the top.

Overworked, Underpaid, Unappreciated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse office with individuals from all over the world which makes the job fun and the days enjoyable.
    If you do well there is a lot of opportunity to move locations.

Cons

The company will work you (think late nights, weekends) but will not pay you for that work and will not show you any gratitude. Thank less work.

No work-life balance and no money, either.

Former Employee - Translation Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Translation Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was a great way to break into the industry since they mostly hire recent graduates. Like Frank Sinatra said, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. TransPerfect will always be my comparison to say "this job could always be worse." Casual dress code, great team members, great learning experience.

Cons

Unnecessarily stressful environment. It was not uncommon to find fellow employees crying at their desks, crying in the hallway, crying in the bathroom... and for what? It's a TRANSLATION company, not an emergency room! Management exploited the fact that most employees came straight out of college and had no idea what a normal work environment (or normal pay) is like. Looking back on it, I can't believe I stayed there as long as I did. 12 hour days were the norm, and people were fired for making the slightest mistake.

Treat your employees the way you would want to be treated.

Honest review from former employee

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to get into an exciting industry. Well established company. Good training program that will provide you with the tools to be successful in the industry.

Cons

While working for TransPerfect for over two years I came to learn quite a few things. There is 0 work-life balance.
    I worked until 1 am on a Sunday and it was expected of me, because that was "my job"

The company itself has an extremely high turnover rate and management doesn't care because they can replace bodies and only care about what clients you bring in, and can transition those clients to other people if you leave the company. It is odd to me how a senior manager can keep their job when 6 employees quit in a 1 1/2 year span and they are over 50% under goal.

TransPerfect promises bonuses when you start, and these are impossible to attain due to the fact that they are not performance based and are dependent on other individuals that you can not control. Additionally, the commission structure is that of a pyramid scheme. You do not get any commission until you are promoted to an Account Executive, and the commission at that point is less than 0.05%. So you are doing all of the work, while your boss is sitting back and counting checks.

I have witnessed senior managers lie and manipulate clients so that it benefits them and they didn't think twice about it. I am a firm believer of morals, ethics and values- and TransPerfect doesn't support any of these.

Ditch the pyramid scheme. Don't let people keep their jobs just because they have been there for so long, even when they don't contribute.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot of Outlook shortcuts and how to best manage the stress. (i.e. drop everything and run around the block)

Cons

HIGH stress and pressure in a fast-paced environment, coupled with extremely low salary. Use this place only as a stepping stone to something better paying. If you like being yelled at and being treated like an idiot then this is the place for you. The training is basically non-existent, and gets frustrating.

Treat your employees with some respect.

IT position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Location is good. 34th & Park with 6 train right in front of the building.
    - Don't have to follow a strict time schedule. If come in late, just finish your job and leave a little late.
    - People are nice here.

Cons

- The technology we use are kind of old. Cannot gain much experience on latest technology here.
    - Compensation is not that attractive.

Doesn't honor PTO. Poor business practice, very low salary, and poor management. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've made some great friends at this company (none of which stayed at TransPerfect for long).

Cons

Whatever you do, no matter how desperate you are for a job - DO NOT WORK here. Hold out for something better. This company is literally the worst. Even the CEOs, Liz and Phil, are fighting (research it on public news) and aren't allowed to contact each other. They keep the company private so that they can withdraw cash for their personal use at will. The pay is a joke to begin with, and for someone living in NY, completely unacceptable. But when you consider the amount of extra hours they force you to work, often 12+ hours, without a real lunch break, the pay is probably at minimum wage. You are not allowed to take PTO if someone else already takes it on the same day, even if you request it months in advance. This company just has poor business practices all around, and its "team leads" and "Department Managers" doesn't know how to manage.
    It lies and cheats its contract linguists, who often must give a 100% discount on work (or risk getting blacklisted), even though the client didn't really complain.
    Turnover is incredibly high, I haven't met a single person who actually enjoys their job at TPT. Employees get treated like dirt, and the work itself is absolutely uninteresting (mostly emailing files around), but due to the absurd deadlines and workload, it becomes highly stressful. Worst of all, there is no career path. What you learn here cannot be applied outside of TransPerfect, and it's hard to look for another job because a) you don't gain any skills here that can be applied elsewhere and b) you work such long hours that you do not have time to look, let alone interview anywhere else.

I've since finally left the job for a much higher paying, more rewarding, and less stressful job, and I couldn't be happier.
    It'll only be a matter of time before this company goes under, not because the industry is failing, but due to poor management.

Career opportunities? - None.
    Compensation & Benefits? - haha, not here.
    Work/life balance? Forget it, you'll be working in the office until 9pm at least. Sometimes midnight.
    Senior Management? - A joke. Even the co-CEOs don't get along.
    Culture & Values? - this place is hell.

Honor your PTO. Treat your employees with respect. Learn how to manage. Pay your employees more.

Sales/ Account Manager review

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely competitive environment, people always helping each other to close deals.

Cons

Underpaid and overused, keeping the company private has been great for the CEO's because they can do anything they want with the money (take money out randomly for personal use) this leads to exploiting smart employees

Stop exploiting people under you.