TransPerfect

Updated September 17, 2014
2.5

TransPerfect Co-CEO Elizabeth Elting
Elizabeth Elting

Pros
  • I made some great connections with freelancers around the world, many of whom I am still in contact with (in 6 reviews)

• The atmosphere is fast paced and demanding but I have never learned so much so fast (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No emphasis on a healthy work-life balance; just live for and die for the Client (in 31 reviews)

• stressfull, long hours, tight deadlines, pressure to deliver your best all the time (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IT position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Location is good. 34th & Park with 6 train right in front of the building.
    - Don't have to follow a strict time schedule. If come in late, just finish your job and leave a little late.
    - People are nice here.

Cons

- The technology we use are kind of old. Cannot gain much experience on latest technology here.
    - Compensation is not that attractive.

Exploit new graduates, but good learning experience

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young colleagues, convenient location, nice rec room (although no one has time to use it), entry-level and easy to get hired, good first job to learn from (super fast-paced environment). Not too hard to get promoted after 1 year review, if you can last that long. Good rewards for the top PMs

Cons

A ton of work and not enough people, many deadlines and details to pay attention to. One mistake can have quality repercussions. Low starting salary, no overtime. Disconnect between sales and productions (clients make revisions during a project, which we are then expected to accommodate. Some are reasonable, others are not, which puts more work in the project coordinators). A lot of things that we can't control, ie late linguists, mid-project client requests, quality of translations etc). Every day is super busy and unpredictable. Oftentimes barely have time to use the bathroom or go buy lunch. Expect to work an average of 10 straight hrs a day--taking lunch break is pretty rare. When I first read the other Glassdoor reviews, I thought "It can't be that bad!" -- it was that bad. I don't regret this as a first job, but definitely long term.

Hire more PMs. Turnover is really high, and employees don't feel valued.

Sales/ Account Manager review

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely competitive environment, people always helping each other to close deals.

Cons

Underpaid and overused, keeping the company private has been great for the CEO's because they can do anything they want with the money (take money out randomly for personal use) this leads to exploiting smart employees

Stop exploiting people under you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great to Start

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Ops  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Ops in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They love hiring fresh talent and recent grads so they can train them to do things their way

Cons

I was in the AP Ops department and it's very understaffed. The company needs to hire more people. The AP ops Manager I had was a bit difficult to work for as well. This manager is busy talking sometimes and then complains when they have to stay until 7 to finish their work. They also expect their team of 2 people (for a huge Fortune 500 company with offices scattered through the US...not the mention the many overseas offices) to stay late to finish things. This is okay if you're hourly, but staying these hours everyday was not a requirement and they put the pressure on you to stay. This manager also turns small things into big ones.

Hire more people. Duh

NOT Recommended

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young atmosphere, lots of structure in terms of job titles and promotions, NYC office is in an amazing location in midtown

Cons

terrible work-life balance, being managed by someone in their twenties is unreasonably challenging, I never left work before 8PM while working there, you are expected to work your tail off until everything on your desk is done each night

give some perks, buy some lunches, hire more project managers, get a better network of translator vendors

HR

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for more than a year

Pros

Congenial work environment, friendly co-workers, clear expectations

Cons

Below market compensation and benefits package

Value your staff.

I had a great time interning for Transperfect. The team there was awesome.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and personal growth

Cons

Not a lot of synergy and collaboration

more collaboration and care about lower level management more

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

Young staff, casual dress code, decent benefits. Everyone I worked with was friendly, professional and very intelligent. My colleagues were the highlight of my experience at TransPerfect.

Cons

The company's HR team uses smoke and mirrors to attract young, talented professionals. Promises made pre-hire are not kept. Once hired, employees receive minimal training and/or guidance from management.

The phrase "overworked and underpaid" applies to almost every employee at this company. Horrible hours and terrible pay generate awful staff morale and a toxic office environment.

DO NOT WORK HERE.

It depends who you work for...

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-There are some great managers there that really care about their people. If you get one of them you will be successful and shielded from politics
    -Promote from within
    -Easy to make changes, company is very flexible and often looking for people to develop and drive new divisions or changes
    -Develop and build a solid book of business
    -Some of the smartest and dedicated people in production and technology
    -Good commission plan

Cons

-Senior Sales Management is a dictatorship, no checks and balances. No sales policies are written down so things can change on a whim depending on how you are "perceived" by senior leaders
    -No recruitment plan, sales people have to do their own recruitment, also ALL new hires for the sales team have to interview with 5 different people from the senior management team, just very inefficient
    -While commission plan is good, you are on a draw
    -Senior management has a bullying mentality, passive aggressive emails are the norm
    -Limited time off policy, must accrue time
    -No work life balance, you are expected to be on call 24/7, people can burn out very easily this way
    -Lack of professionalism at the senior management level, boys club mentality
    -Management decisions are often made to please one senior manager, leadership is not valued or squashed
    -No formal training program, people are expected to train their colleagues without a formalized process in place. Doesn't set people up to succeed.

No, senior management claims to know everything already and thinks everything is going great.

Ok fine, here's my advice: Take the money spent on lavish parties and hire outside consultants to come in and give you an unbiased perspective.

Great place for foundation building

Former Employee - Sales - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People / culture: Young work environment, most individuals are straight out of college. Managers are promoted from within. For the most part, they hire amazing people across the entire organization.

Career advancement: You have the opportunity to advance your career at your own pace depending how aggressive you are.

Cons

Pay: biggest con, low pay that does not reflect amount of work involved. New business development employees work off of a draw in sales (meaning you owe the company your salary until you make enough commission to cover your salary). Entry level account manager's pay is not sustainable to live in NYC.

Upper management: There is a very small management team overseeing entire sales force of over 400 individuals across the world. They are often brash and short sighted when making decisions. There is a Lack of professionalism. Favoritism is often picked by how hard one can party.

Work / life balance: There is a lack of work life balance. At the most recent sales conference, upper management had a presentation on how younger individuals should forgo work life balance and to push themselves while they had less responsibilities in life.

Industry: saturated industry. small margins

In general, I have learned a lot from my time there. Those who have left with me have all agreed that TPT has set them up for success at their following job as a top performer. However, I would not wish the stress and pressure on anyone given low pay, would not recommend this company as a place to work for any of my friends.

The pay needs to either increase for the amount of work or they need to hire more individuals. I hope to see that the company hire external senior managers from other companies who have a different perspective or bring in a third party consulting company to review current structure or processes.

Worked for TransPerfect? Contribute to the Community!