TransPerfect Reviews

329 reviews filtered by

1. IT position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Location is good. 34th & Park with 6 train right in front of the building.
    - Don't have to follow a strict time schedule. If come in late, just finish your job and leave a little late.
    - People are nice here.

Cons

- The technology we use are kind of old. Cannot gain much experience on latest technology here.
    - Compensation is not that attractive.

Exploit new graduates, but good learning experience

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young colleagues, convenient location, nice rec room (although no one has time to use it), entry-level and easy to get hired, good first job to learn from (super fast-paced environment). Not too hard to get promoted after 1 year review, if you can last that long. Good rewards for the top PMs

Cons

A ton of work and not enough people, many deadlines and details to pay attention to. One mistake can have quality repercussions. Low starting salary, no overtime. Disconnect between sales and productions (clients make revisions during a project, which we are then expected to accommodate. Some are reasonable, others are not, which puts more work in the project coordinators). A lot of things that we can't control, ie late linguists, mid-project client requests, quality of translations etc). Every day is super busy and unpredictable. Oftentimes barely have time to use the bathroom or go buy lunch. Expect to work an average of 10 straight hrs a day--taking lunch break is pretty rare. When I first read the other Glassdoor reviews, I thought "It can't be that bad!" -- it was that bad. I don't regret this as a first job, but definitely long term.

Advice to Management

Hire more PMs. Turnover is really high, and employees don't feel valued.

Not Willing to Invest in your future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

big commissions if you get lucky

Cons

- Completely disrespectful mid management and upper management
    - The Co-CEO's are in the middle of a lawsuit and there is no telling the future of the company
    - Absolutely NO TRAINING AT ALL
    - Everyone has a huge title.
    - no structure whatsoever
    - If you are hired for the sales department they literally expect you to cold call out of the yellow pages
    - Their philosophy is to hire as many young dumb sales people as they can and hope that one of them can close a deal

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees!

Sales/ Account Manager review

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely competitive environment, people always helping each other to close deals.

Cons

Underpaid and overused, keeping the company private has been great for the CEO's because they can do anything they want with the money (take money out randomly for personal use) this leads to exploiting smart employees

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting people under you.

Doesn't honor PTO. Poor business practice, very low salary, and poor management. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've made some great friends at this company (none of which stayed at TransPerfect for long).

Cons

Whatever you do, no matter how desperate you are for a job - DO NOT WORK here. Hold out for something better. This company is literally the worst. Even the CEOs, Liz and Phil, are fighting (research it on public news) and aren't allowed to contact each other. They keep the company private so that they can withdraw cash for their personal use at will. The pay is a joke to begin with, and for someone living in NY, completely unacceptable. But when you consider the amount of extra hours they force you to work, often 12+ hours, without a real lunch break, the pay is probably at minimum wage. You are not allowed to take PTO if someone else already takes it on the same day, even if you request it months in advance. This company just has poor business practices all around, and its "team leads" and "Department Managers" doesn't know how to manage.
    It lies and cheats its contract linguists, who often must give a 100% discount on work (or risk getting blacklisted), even though the client didn't really complain.
    Turnover is incredibly high, I haven't met a single person who actually enjoys their job at TPT. Employees get treated like dirt, and the work itself is absolutely uninteresting (mostly emailing files around), but due to the absurd deadlines and workload, it becomes highly stressful. Worst of all, there is no career path. What you learn here cannot be applied outside of TransPerfect, and it's hard to look for another job because a) you don't gain any skills here that can be applied elsewhere and b) you work such long hours that you do not have time to look, let alone interview anywhere else.

I've since finally left the job for a much higher paying, more rewarding, and less stressful job, and I couldn't be happier.
    It'll only be a matter of time before this company goes under, not because the industry is failing, but due to poor management.

Career opportunities? - None.
    Compensation & Benefits? - haha, not here.
    Work/life balance? Forget it, you'll be working in the office until 9pm at least. Sometimes midnight.
    Senior Management? - A joke. Even the co-CEOs don't get along.
    Culture & Values? - this place is hell.

Advice to Management

Honor your PTO. Treat your employees with respect. Learn how to manage. Pay your employees more.

In one word: inept.

Former Contractor - Interpreter in Tempe, AZ
    Former Contractor - Interpreter in Tempe, AZ

I worked at TransPerfect as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet nice people from diverse backgrounds.
    Improve language skills (on your own)
    Area has nice restaurants
    Close to the I-10

Cons

Schedule is always messed up
    Training is a joke
    Quality control is a joke
    Recruiting is a joke
    Leadership doesn't care about you, they just want to nitpick
    Very negative corporate culture
    Corporate HR is useless

Advice to Management

Do what you say you're going to do.

Transperfect office in Tempe, AZ

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ

I worked at TransPerfect part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$13.50 an hour after training.

Cons

Sexist and condescending trainer.
    Background check took weeks.
    Took weeks of waiting to even go into training
    A lot of bullies on staff
    Tempe office likes to pretend they have values

We received emails prior to the first day of training telling us Transperfect would be buying us breakfast at the hotel during training. On the first day of traing after the trainees had all eaten we were told that Transperfect would in fact not be paying and we would need to pay for our breakfast. Slimy behavior!

Advice to Management

Conduct yourselves professionally and treat all employees equally

Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at TransPerfect part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hired some very nice people and SOME staff were very helpful

Cons

Training really did not prepare you for anything. Very disorganized company because when we went on the phones after 1 week in class the trainers there didn't know we were still training and they threw us out there with wolves to figure it out for yourself. One of the Hispanic trainers (the shortest one) was extremely rude and impatient and most everyone there didn't want to ask him anything. Its a really bad sign when a company is desperately looking for employees especially when you just hired a 2 whole class and posters are already posted outside your building letting everyone know your hiring inquire within. Very distasteful and speaks in volumes. Must be a extremely high turn over for that which says alot. It says get hell out, this is no good.

Advice to Management

I would have to charge you for advice

Short deadlines

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TransPerfect as a contractor

Pros

As a contractor, you may choose the jobs you want to do, great to work for them from home from time to time, for an extra income.

Cons

Deadlines are extremely short and last minute, you practically have to stop everything else in your life to finish the work on time.

Advice to Management

Reasonable time frames!

Occasional worthwhile freelance translation projects; the vast majority of project requests are ridiculously bad.

Current Contractor - Freelance Translator
    Current Contractor - Freelance Translator

I have been working at TransPerfect as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have done some translation projects for Transperfect where the document was interesting, the timeline was reasonable, and the rate was not ridiculously bad. Those opportunities are few and far between, and required a lot of negotiating to get the timeline and rate into the realm of being at all reasonable. So Transperfect can potentially provide an opportunity to get some experience as a new translator, but it requires a lot of patience to pick out the few reasonable opportunities and negotiate the terms. It's also a good chance to practice negotiating skills. (There's often not too much to lose, since if the original request isn't acceptable, it's no loss if they say no.)

Cons

The vast majority of requests are for very tight deadlines, very low rates, and likely have very poor quality control. (e.g., they need to translate many, many thousands of words with a very short deadline (hours), so they plan to split it up among multiple translators, based on who responds immediately to the mass email that they send out.) The requests come from all over the place and a seemingly endless number of different people and are very often mass emails.