TransPerfect

Employer Engaged

NOT Recommended

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young atmosphere, lots of structure in terms of job titles and promotions, NYC office is in an amazing location in midtown

Cons

terrible work-life balance, being managed by someone in their twenties is unreasonably challenging, I never left work before 8PM while working there, you are expected to work your tail off until everything on your desk is done each night

give some perks, buy some lunches, hire more project managers, get a better network of translator vendors

Disorganized, but demanding environment.

I worked at TransPerfect

Pros

Comfortable office, friends down-to-earth colleagues. Very challenging opportunity for entry level candidates.

Cons

Understaffed & unreasonable workload. Usually had to work overtime.

Management should hold more professional development trainings.

Freelance translator

Current Contractor - Freelance Translator

I have been working at TransPerfect as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company provides a seemingly endless volume of work for a freelance translator or reviewer. The variety of work is interesting. The PMs work very hard to manage the workflow and are very efficient. Reviews are usually fair. PMs are generally fair, flexible and friendly and professional in email exchanges. Amazing considering the pressure we deal with every single day (and nighr).

Cons

This company operates 24 hours a day in every time zone, 365 days a year. A freelancer may receive a huge volume of requests at any time from any office worldwide. It can be overwhelming sometimes and requires a lot of time and effort to manage. It can be stressful. Efforts are being made to improve. Rates may seem low and there's some pressure from PMs to lower them more, below a sustainable income in the U.S. I negotiate and I don't reduce my rates. Constant short deadlines must be managed. Even with the best software and the highest translation speed, it is difficult to meet deadlines. This site is the only way I know to communicate, emails are limited to assignments, I was immediately cut off by two PMs over the years when I only started to discuss issues not related to the specific job. I'm a subcontractor, not an employee.

It would help to recruit more qualified translators and reviewers. Despite price pressures from clients, translators are leaving the industry when they find rates are not sustainable.

Great to Start

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Ops in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Ops in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They love hiring fresh talent and recent grads so they can train them to do things their way

Cons

I was in the AP Ops department and it's very understaffed. The company needs to hire more people. The AP ops Manager I had was a bit difficult to work for as well. This manager is busy talking sometimes and then complains when they have to stay until 7 to finish their work. They also expect their team of 2 people (for a huge Fortune 500 company with offices scattered through the US...not the mention the many overseas offices) to stay late to finish things. This is okay if you're hourly, but staying these hours everyday was not a requirement and they put the pressure on you to stay. This manager also turns small things into big ones.

Hire more people. Duh

A totally unethical company

Former Contractor - Freelance Linguist
    Former Contractor - Freelance Linguist

I worked at TransPerfect as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They have some interesting clients.

Cons

Probably the interesting clients will disappear once the read the translations provided by Transperfect. Their QA is ridicolous, made by non native speakers, who have not the faintest idea of what a good copy looks like.

The management is pursuing exactly this kind of money-made-easy company, so there is no advice to give them. Soon or late they will collapse.

Austin Texas location

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

Little management involvement. Small company feel with Big company backing. local office in Austin, Texas.
    If you need translation experience this is a great place to go to have some experience on your resume. The test is tough and every much better company knows it. If you get hired here, chances are you can stay 6 months and go some place better.

Cons

High turn over, sexual discrimination is rampant. Watched 5 female managers be demoted or pushed out of the company.
    Little to no training, they hire big then lay off big. Most staff hired on a temp to perm basis but after years can still be on temp status. Sr. management would fall asleep in meetings and didn't know most peoples names. In an office of 50 or less that is very bad.
    They will promise you the moon, but never ever deliver.
    Do not trust HR. Employee feedback surveys are sent directly to management and are in no way confidential. Which after the first time this happened, most people don't answer at all. Calls about discrimination are also sent immediately to the supervisor in question.

Care about your employees, even a little. Yes men aren't always the best. Someone that disagrees with you might have a better idea and plan. Give women a chance to shine, quit discriminating.
    You will have a law suit at this location if things continue the path they are on.
    HR needs to be on the side of the employees, ignoring outright accusations from employees

Good for freelance translators if you can tolerate the rigours of advanced capitalism.

Current Contractor - Freelance Translator

I have been working at TransPerfect as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I write from a freelance translator's perspective. The best thing about Transperfect is that if you pass its recruiting tests, you'll be deluged with work requests (at least I am in my language pair). There's a lot of variety in the work, too; I've learned about all sorts of industrial and governmental fields I knew little about before. The project managers—that's the broker you deal with as a freelancer—are mostly very decent people.

Freelancers should understand that if you're accepted to do translations, you will receive job offers likely at a low per-word rate or flat rate. You're invited to negotiate your rate and the deadline on an online platform that allows you to look at the original document and Transperfect's offer. I usually negotiate for higher pay, and sometimes for a longer deadline. Negotiating a longer deadline is particularly difficult.

I find it a struggle to locate companies that will pay for translating what they paid back in 2000. The freelance translation market seems to have been rendered economically much more efficient, i.e., “rationalised,” thanks to the Internet and computerised translating tools. In 2000 I could earn 15 to 20 cents (U.S.) a word. Now, I think the people at Transperfect feel like they’re paying me well at a much lower rate than that. I don't blame Transperfect for what it pays me (and what it would want to pay me); I think there's just been deflation in the market for most translating.

What one needs to do, eventually, is try to develop one's own client base (whilst being careful, of course, not to violate any noncompetition agreement one has with a translating company that currently uses one's services). If one can do that, great, but it will be a lot of work. If not, Transperfect will pay decently and you won't have to locate your own clients, which is worth a lot to avoid. The company also pays on time and efficiently.

In sum, Transperfect is a fine place to enter the lion's den of the translation world in these days of hypercompetitive, globalised markets.

Cons

I've had a few problems. Once or twice a project manager (again, that's your broker when you're a freelancer) has accepted my offer and then, an hour later, e-mailed back to say the translation isn't available but could I proofread? To me, that means after I accepted, someone else sent in an offer to do the work for less and I was turned away after we'd reached an arrangement. That leaves a bad taste. Also, the deadlines are sometimes too short for me to do the quality of work I want to do.

1. I've tried to provide feedback by e-mail and not heard anything back. There seems to be no institutional mechanism for doing so.

2. Tell the clients that if they'll wait another two days to get the work back, it'll be better quality. Every translation request is a "rush" or "urgent," but I suspect it often just sits on the client's desk for a few days after someone has slaved to get it done, with the risk of rushing through it.

3. Give your project managers a break. They're obviously overworked. You might end up with more career employees and less turnover.

4. The phone system does not work properly in your U.S. offices.

Very hostile environment

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

Working with young people and diverse culture

Cons

High turn over rate, hostile environment where everyone is at each others throat. Under paying as they figure since you are nonexempt, the managers will make it your responsibility for the project so they can leave on time.

The blind lead the blind.

HR

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Congenial work environment, friendly co-workers, clear expectations

Cons

Below market compensation and benefits package

Value your staff.

I had a great time interning for Transperfect. The team there was awesome.

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and personal growth

Cons

Not a lot of synergy and collaboration

more collaboration and care about lower level management more